Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My book order arrived as hoped! :D The next four in the Anita Blake series.

By Laurell K Hamilton:

Incubus Dreams

Micah & Strange Candy

Danse Macabre

The Harlequin

I plan to start 'Incubus Dreams' tonight, it's only 839 pages! It's huge! ohmy.gif

Blimey! That is big!

As for me. I recieved the books fromt he winderful Charm.

Erica Spindler - Copycat

Erica Spindler - In silence

Jeferry Deaver - The Blue Nowhere

I have finished Reckless by Cornelia Funke review done, and I am now starting The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

"Howard's End Is On The Landing" by Susan Hill. I came across this book today, and I think it'll be of interest to a lot of Forum members (review from the LRB).

"Searching for a particular book on her shelves one day, Susan Hill discovered dozens of books she had never read, or that she had forgotten she owned, as well as many that she had read and now wanted to read again. She resolved to spend a year without buying new books, relying instead on the riches of her own library and revisiting the moments in her life when particular books came in to her possession. The book that resulted from this experiment is a richly tangential collection of essays about books and reading. 'There's a fair bit of meandering as she documents what is on her shelves ans uses it as a chance to reminisce ... but Hill's style is both a passioante reminder of the importance of reading and a revealing glimpse of a writer's life".

This is on my 'to read' list Roland so it will be good to get an opinion on it. I've read quite a few books by Susan Hill recently including her detective series which gets better with each book.

Edited by JudyB

"Howard's End Is On The Landing" by Susan Hill. I came across this book today, and I think it'll be of interest to a lot of Forum members (review from the LRB).

"Searching for a particular book on her shelves one day, Susan Hill discovered dozens of books she had never read, or that she had forgotten she owned, as well as many that she had read and now wanted to read again. She resolved to spend a year without buying new books, relying instead on the riches of her own library and revisiting the moments in her life when particular books came in to her possession. The book that resulted from this experiment is a richly tangential collection of essays about books and reading. 'There's a fair bit of meandering as she documents what is on her shelves ans uses it as a chance to reminisce ... but Hill's style is both a passioante reminder of the importance of reading and a revealing glimpse of a writer's life".

I read this earlier in the year - it's a great read! I borrowed it from the library, and there was so much I loved, I ended reading most of it aloud to my OH while I was reading it :lol: Then after I returned it, I had to go and buy my own copy because I wanted to read it again. Hope you enjoy it :smile2:

Blimey! That is big!

I know there's a comment which could be made here, but I shall refrain! :giggle:

It is big, I wanted to take it to the bath to make a start on it, but it's so big I was afraid of dropping it in the water .... so I didn't bother :blush:

I read a couple chapters of The Solomon Key whilst waiting for my friend to petrol up his car earlier.

Sounds like something we should do! :rolleyes:

However....we went to the library sale today, not having the dates straight. The actual sale isn't till next weekend, however they were open and we were able to shop anyhow! It seems they are open Every Day! We are sunk! :huh:

We bought a box of books. Can't list them, unfortunately the Jeep is in the shop, a belt broke, and the box is in the Jeep. So now we are Jeepless overnight. But a whole box of books for 13 USD. Yummy!

On the reading front I read the first 8 chapters of Perfume last night, and I'm putting it aside. It's positively ghoulish, don't think I can stand it. Don't want nightmares.

I've started Peter Robinson's In A Dry Season, have read the first 59 pages and am caught. :readingtwo:

Edited by pontalba

Yesterday, I bought Stone's Fall by Iain Pears and Under The Dome by Stephen King. I've not bought a book by King for a long time, so we'll see how we go with this. Really looking forward to reading Pears' new one, though. I'm hoping to buy that book by CC Humphreys Vlad this weekend - the one Noll reviewed and interviewed the author for. Looks great! biggrin.gif

I know there's a comment which could be made here, but I shall refrain! :giggle:

It is big, I wanted to take it to the bath to make a start on it, but it's so big I was afraid of dropping it in the water .... so I didn't bother :blush:

Hehe, I will say nothing :giggle:

I did not do any reading last night, as I just ended up going to bed with a headache. But this monrning while having my morning coffee I read the first chapter of The Eyre affair. I am looking forward to reading it. I love iot at the moment, I know which books I am reading and in what order. I also found out this morning that my reservation for Burned has arrived at my library so I will pick that up and read that ASAP. God I am loving reading at the moment! horray for full bodied Mojos! :b7ydance:

I just started reading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I've had it in my bookshelf for quite a while already, but I've been buried by books to read lately. I've read the first couple of chapters now.

Today I bought Stephen Fry Presents Oscar Wilde's Stories for All Ages, at an irresistible price in The Works. However, I had to run in the opposite direction to Waterstones as I saw their 3 for 2 on all fiction advertised in the window, and really can't justify anymore money on books at the mo!

I'm nearly finished book 2 in the House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast (think it's called Betrayed) and will be on book 3 by this afternoon :) Really enjoying re-reading them. I forgot how entertaining they were :)

I read a couple more chapters of The Solomon Key and some more reading up on the rise of Heinrich Himmler.

I have finished reading A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. Very interesting. Tomorrow I plan on watching an animated version of the story that I haven't seen in many years.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I started re-reading Vlad by C. C. Humphreys. Don't want to get stuck into a new book right now as I've review books arriving next week and I want to start them a.s.a.o. Actually enjoying Vlad more the second time, knowing all the twists and events that come later.

Picked up three books in Waterstone's this afternoon (as mentioned elsewhere, they have a 3 for 2 on all fiction at the moment):

Shogun, by James Clavell

The Death of Grass, by John Christopher and

The Stories of Ibis, by Hiroshi Yamamoto

Yesterday, I bought Stone's Fall by Iain Pears and Under The Dome by Stephen King. I've not bought a book by King for a long time, so we'll see how we go with this. Really looking forward to reading Pears' new one, though. I'm hoping to buy that book by CC Humphreys Vlad this weekend - the one Noll reviewed and interviewed the author for. Looks great! biggrin.gif

Loved Stone's Fall, Mac! But you didn't really expect anything different, did you?! ;) LOL Happy reading!

I only managed to read a handful of pages from Uglies before drifting off last night, but am hoping to get more in this weekend. I'm off to the book store tonight with my friend after we grab dinner so hopefully I'll find some good bargains!

Finished Glass Houses by Rachel Caine this morning, it is the first in a series called the Morganville Vampire books. I enjoyed it so much that I've been out and bought the 4th, 5th and 6th in the series this afternoon, I already have 2 and 3 ready and waiting as the whole series is on 3 for £5 in The Works - thanks to Lexiepiper for the recommendation on these :friends3:

I started The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick yesterday and finished it today. I found myself unable to put it down, which is always a good sign. Its the third book by Elizabeth Chadwick I have read, and she has become a favourite as I find her books gripping and memorable.

Finished Glass Houses by Rachel Caine this morning, it is the first in a series called the Morganville Vampire books. I enjoyed it so much that I've been out and bought the 4th, 5th and 6th in the series this afternoon, I already have 2 and 3 ready and waiting as the whole series is on 3 for £5 in The Works - thanks to Lexiepiper for the recommendation on these :friends3:

Yay, glad you enjoyed it :D I finished The Other Countess on thursday night, started and finished The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams last night and have read the short story Dancers In The Dark by Charlaine Harris so far tonight. I intend to go and start Eat, Pray, Love shortly :)