Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Which ones are they? Kafka on the Shore is on my wishlist after loving Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.

After Dark

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Norwegian Wood

A Wild Sheep Chase

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Glad to hear you loved Norwegian Wood and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I couldn't put Kafka on the Shore down. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have broken my bad book spell from the library and managed to get 3 Linda Farstein books yesterday as I enjoyed Entombed am very tempted to go onto amazon but am trying to resist and save my money .

I think I have broken my bad book spell from the library and managed to get 3 Linda Farstein books yesterday as I enjoyed Entombed am very tempted to go onto amazon but am trying to resist and save my money .

Glad you're having more luck now! I've been using the library a lot more recently as well. I'm enjoying reading Wicked at the moment and also picked up The Big Over Easy from the library this morning, it looks fun and I'm looking forward to it. :readingtwo:

I just finished The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which I loved, especially the twist and rather ambiguous ending. :smile2:

Now on to Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood.

I didn't get much reading done yesterday so hope to rectify that today.

I forgot to mention some other cool book news. I got two tickets to the filming of the First Tuesday Book Club that I've been watching religiously for several years. It's for their last episode of the season, and it's an extra-long episode. Filming isn't for another few months - I hope I can wait that long without exploding! :D

Mammoth book-buying session yesterday:

The Memory Garden, by Rachel Hore - for my wife, in recognition of our trip to Lamorna

Skinny Dip, by Carl Hiassen - a bithday present for my son. He managed to get through 13 years of school and 3 years of university without knowingly having read a book :lol: , but has suddenly taken to reading George Pelecanos' crime novels, so I thought I'd encourage him ..

And for me:

Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere, by Jan Morris. A travelogue - I've always wanted to go to Trieste. It just sounds interesting!

The Interpretation of Murder, by Jeb Rubenfeld (half price in view of how much I spent at Waterstones...)

How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone, by Sasa Stanisic

A Jew Must Die, by Jacques Chessex

De Niro's Game, by Rawi Hage (I've always wanted to go to Beirut ... )

Major Farran's Hat, by David Cesarini

Hi Kylie, I read 'The Wind in the Willows' years ago and I enjoyed it but I feel like I am reading a new book :lol:

It's great when you can re-read a book you know you loved, but remember so little of it that it's like reading it again for the first time. :)

I got two books in the mail today:

Cornelia Funke: Inkspell

Charlaine Harris: Dead and Gone

I've also read about 80 pages of A Journey to the Centre of the Earth. smile.gif

Pipread, I hope you enjoy The Big Over Easy! It is indeed a fun read and classic Fforde :D

I finished In the Shadow of Gotham a couple of nights ago and still have yet to post my review (along with the Ness book, shame on me!) but I promise I'll do it this weekend!

I started Uglies by Scott Westerfeld last night, but not sure this is what I'm in the mood for right now. I wouldn't mind something light, but I just can't decide! I hate that.

I read another 30 pages of The Solomon Key, it is tedious but Brown's plots usually interest me. I also read a couple of chapters of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone as I felt like a wander around Hogwarts again :D

I am about 60 pages in to Cat's Eye and I am not sure what I think yet. The writing seems a bit...clinical, I guess is the right word. I am finding it hard to feel and relate to the character's emotions. Something about the writing style is putting me off. I haven't given up on it yet, though.

Decided to start The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky today (as it's a small paperback book and light to carry around after having had a hardback dragging me down all week biggrin.gif). 80 pages in already, and absolutely loving it. Need to take some books back to the library later, and then going to make a start on making an Amazon wishlist for all the Rory Gilmore books.

I enjoyed the Uglies series, Peace, and I zipped through each book in just a few days. Gotta love those fast reads. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this series, Kylie! Makes me want to read it more now :D I borrowed three books from a friend - Uglies, Specials, and I can't remember the third title. I'll let you know what I think of them!

My book order arrived as hoped! :D The next four in the Anita Blake series.

By Laurell K Hamilton:

Incubus Dreams

Micah & Strange Candy

Danse Macabre

The Harlequin

I plan to start 'Incubus Dreams' tonight, it's only 839 pages! It's huge! ohmy.gif

Edited by Charm

I went to the Bookbarn today and got a 1982 edition of John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos which matches my covers of his The Day of the Trifids, The Kraken Wakes and The Crysalids - for £1. I was so pleased to find it! :biggrin:

I've read another 60 pages of The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison today. So far, so good. :smile:

ETA: I forgot to mention that I tried to find a copy of We Have Always Lived at the Castle by Shirley Jackson in the bookbarn, as it's the September reading circle book. I didn't vote for it but decided if I found a copy then it was meant to be. Sadly we searched to no avail. sad.gif

Bit thanks to Giulia to whom I sent a text because I'd forgotten the author's surname! :hug:

Edited by Janet