Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I finished Little Women, which was brilliant. I'm now concentrating solely on A Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but I'm already eyeing my books to find my next read. Oh, and I'm planning on reading a little of Sylvia Plath's Journals in the next few days. I want to get it finished this year but I've barely made any progress.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking a break from Maigret for a bit now (I've read about 3 on the trot). I'm focussing on the Boris Akunin books again and have picked up Murder on the Leviathan (another Erast Fandorin quirky story).

Edited by SueK

Jeff Lindsay: Dearly Devoted Dexter

I now have all the Dexter books except the one that was released just recently. But I haven't read any of them yet. lurker.gif

Looking forward to seeing what you think of this! :D

Glad that it is good. I have so many of hers but I don't have Copycat and thats the first one right? I have to find that somewhere.

Yeah, Copycat is the first. It's really good, I think you'll like it. :smile2:

I'm about a third of the way through Breakneck now and this may sound funny, but

the start of the book is so sad! :o Poor MC gets it bad, I was almost crying in the middle of it while my OH obliviously played COD! lol

I was browsing through amazon this morning and came across this:

The Secret History of Fantasy. The editor is Peter S. Beagle, one of my favorite authors.

The anthology includes stories by Stephen King, Gregory Maguire, Neil Gaiman, Ursula Le Guin, Robert Holdstock, Susanna Clarke, and Patricia McKillip to name just a few.

This is definitely being added to my wish list and I thought it might be of interest to other fantasy fans.

Happy reading! :)

Even though I only managed an hour of reading In the Shadow of Gotham last night before bed, I now have about 85 pages left. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight! I still can't figure out who the murderer is, which tells me I really like this author :smile2:. If she doesn't have any other books out right now, hopefully she'll churn some out in the future.

Finished Silent Scream - Linda La Plante, last night, a really good book - I had my doubts about it for a while but once I was into it I could hardly put it down :readingtwo: I'm so glad I found this author.

I've now started Wicked - Gregory maguire, might go see the show in London next week so thought I'd be prepared!

That book really does sound amazing, it set around 1905 right? I have just looked it up on famtastic fiction. The ore you talk about it the more I want to read it.

Yep, it's set in 1905 New York, just north of the city. It's interesting because they are just discovering the criminology side of things and the motivations behind serial killers. It's a very intriguing read, CW! :D

Yep, it's set in 1905 New York, just north of the city. It's interesting because they are just discovering the criminology side of things and the motivations behind serial killers. It's a very intriguing read, CW! :D

I have it on my wishlist now and will keep an eye out for it, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

I haven't had much time to read the last few days but hopefully by the end of the day today I'll be able to finish up my review for Glass Houses and start reading Evermore by Alyson Noel.

Oooo Abs, I have had this on my wishlist for ages, you must tell me what you think of Evermore!

Have got past 100 pages of Midnight's Children (took me long enough!) still finding it tough but despite getting to the point where I allow myself to give up I'm interested enough to keep at it. Not sure if this feeling will stay though.

Have read a bit of Alice in Wonderland today too.

Finished Silent Scream - Linda La Plante, last night, a really good book - I had my doubts about it for a while but once I was into it I could hardly put it down :readingtwo: I'm so glad I found this author.

I've now started Wicked - Gregory maguire, might go see the show in London next week so thought I'd be prepared!

I've read most of Lynda La Plante's novels. Above Suspicion and Cut Above are equally unputdownable. :smile2:

I started Tess Gerritsen's Keeping the Dead, unusual start for a crime novel. I think that's why I like her. She comes at her subject from a slightly different angle.

I am having a terrible time with my choices from the library two books appear to be continuations neither of which said ' read the first book it will make more sense cause we are not going to do anything like an intro or even tell you its a second part' on top of that I have an audio book which I tend to listen to in my car called The Malice Box and so far so bad, its terrible on top of that its narrated by someone with a really irritating voice...I do have one saving grace in those I have started so far a Linda Farstein Entombed which is good.....

I am almost half way through The Angel's Game, and I am really enjoying it. I love the dark feel to this book. But for some reason my reading mojo is on semi-vacation, and only comes around when she feels like it.

I haven't read for a few days but nothing's jumping out at me. Hmmm....what to read.

I think you need to do a re-read hehe *wink wink*

As for me, I have been in bed since the kids went to sleep and I have read over 100 pages of Reckless I am actually really getting into it now.

I do have some issues with the book, but I am loving the story and the ideas behind it. You can see that funke has ben inspired y many great fairtales and movies. Not read a book like this for ages!

Bought "Under The Dome" by Stephen King for €5.95 in Tesco. I know it's gotten some bad reviews but that's the same price I'd pay online - and I love the concept behind it, so we'll give it a go. If nothing else, it's good value for all those pages. :rolleyes:

I finished Molly Moon Stops the World last night and started reading Mary Alice Monroe's The Book Club. This book was a spur of the moment buy, I bought it mostly because it was really cheap, in a charityshop and had nice covers, and it's bound to be partly about books. Didn't really expect to enjoy it but it's quite a light, easy and comfy read. The writing style is not the best ever, and the characters aren't fully developed either, but for some reason I'm flying through the pages :)