Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my way out of my parents' house this evening I saw a book entitled something to the effect of, '100 Greatest Philosophers'. Looks basic, but it covers a LOT of names, so I imagine I'll be meeting a few new Philosophers as well as finall associating theories I know with names I don't. Probably will have a look at it tomorrow.

Just started reading Pandemonium by Christopher Brookmyre. I had some mixed reviews but I have read everything else he has published so it seemed rude not to add this.

I am also compiling a holiday reading collection. So far I have:

The Ayatollah Begs to Differ: The Paradox of Modern Iran by Hooman Majd

The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion (Gollancz S.F.) by Dan Simmons

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride

The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe

Still looking to add a couple more to the list.

I finished reading Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.

What did you think Frankie?

I read about 70 pages of To Kill a Mockingbird and received Cornelia Funke's Inkdeath in the mail.

Last night I downloaded some ebooks and started reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side Of Paradise - it's addictive :lol:

I reluctantly went to sleep last night, and when I woke up in the morning, I got up just to read the book before I go to town lol.

Just what I needed, I'm hooked :D

I finished Kai Meyer > Arkadien erwacht yesterday and I haven't decided which book to read next. This was YA fantasy, so I'll probably choose a different genre, maybe some crime. My bf gave me The Hound of the Baskerville on Saturday (to get me started on classics), so I might start this one next.

Just started "The Slaves of Solitude" by Patrick Hamilton, the "go-to" man if you want tales of low-life London. Except it's not set in London and it's not about low life. But still .... What it is about, though, according to the blurb:

"Measuring out the wartime days in a small town on the Thames, Miss Roach is not unattractive but no longer quite young. The Rosamund Tea Rooms boarding house, where she lives with half a dozen others, is as grey and lonely as its residents. For Miss Roach, 'slave of her task-master, solitude', a shaft of not altogether welcome light is suddenly beamed upon her, with the appearance of a charismatic and emotional American Lieutenant. With him comes change - tipping the precariously balanced society of the house and presenting Miss Roach herself with a dilemma".

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride

The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe

I've read and enjoyed both of these, hope you do too!

Read a bit last night but none so far today, probably will later though. :)

I've begun reading Vlad by CC Humphreys, which comes highly recommended from Nollaig and I'm very much enjoying it so far finding it compelling and idiosyncratic in style, which I like. So this is a good thing. I keep casting an eye over my lovely bookshelves as well, thinking 'Ah, my lovely books...' which makes me wonder if I need to get out more...rolleyes.gif

Guest Eliza1

I'm still reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. Have been ill the last few days so haven't had much time to read. I've bought five new books though :D so I have loads to choose from.

I bought The Memory keepers daughter - Kim Edwards

Touching Earth - Rani Manicka

The Good Doctor - Damon Galgut

Chronicle of a death foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Handmaids Tale - Margaret Atwood...and I also bought the Times this Sunday which included a free copy of The Fifth Victim by Beverly Barton, so I've added that to the pile :D

I've begun reading Vlad by CC Humphreys, which comes highly recommended from Nollaig and I'm very much enjoying it so far finding it compelling and idiosyncratic in style, which I like. So this is a good thing. I keep casting an eye over my lovely bookshelves as well, thinking 'Ah, my lovely books...' which makes me wonder if I need to get out more...rolleyes.gif

I have added Vlad to my wishlist so your review might be the deciding factor as to whether I buy it immediately or wait for a while (no pressure...)

I have the same thoughts when I look at my books! It can be kind of distracting when I'm trying to read because I find myself just gazing at my books instead. :smile2: And because I have so many unread books on my shelves, I find myself thinking 'Ooh, I want to read that one next...and that one...and that one...' :rolleyes: