Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I wasn't very impressed with The Alchemist either, Pixie.

I'm currently falling in love with To Kill a Mockingbird all over again. I haven't read it for a few years and was wondering if my memory had hyped it up but nope, it really is as wonderful as I remember. :D

I'm also making some progress in Double Cross by Malorie Blackman.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think Frankie?

I was disappointed in it, to tell you the truth. I suppose I was expecting that particular 'Lois Lowry' kinda thing? The novel was pretty average to me, too short, didn't make me care about the characters on a deeper level etc. The story is decent and it's set in Copenhagen (Copenhagen rules <3) but that's about it. 2/5 I'm afraid, and I'm not keeping the book.

If it helps, I might not have been in the most suitable mood for this particular novel when I started it?

Yesterday I started reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This is my second try, I remember the first time I didn't make it past 2 pages before I gave it up. Yesterday, however, I was hooked pretty early on. There's something about the novel, which I cannot pinpoint, that just grips you. Very much looking forward to reading some more! :readingtwo:

Aww, oh well. I enjoyed the story but wasn't blown away by it. I thought it was quite nice for what it was (if that makes sense).

I've read a lot more of TKaM today and I've been trying to put my finger on just what it is that I love about it so much, but haven't come up with much. :D I'm so glad you're enjoying it more this time Frankie. I would be truly devastated if you didn't enjoy it!

I've read a lot more of TKaM today and I've been trying to put my finger on just what it is that I love about it so much, but haven't come up with much. :D I'm so glad you're enjoying it more this time Frankie. I would be truly devastated if you didn't enjoy it!

I'm a bit relieved to be enjoying it as much as I am, quite honestly, because I've heard nothing but amazing things from this novel and I'd be terrified if I was the odd one out :lol:

I started my first Sir Arthur Conan Doyle / Sherlock Holmes novel yesterday evening. The Hound of the Baskerville. I didn't get far, page 25 or something, as I was just too tired. But I really think, that I'm going to like it.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of his most famous and its a great one I hope it means you will read some of the others.

I read and bit more of The City & The City this morning its really very good but I have a feeling I am goiong to have to finish it and then re-read it just to get it again.

I wasn't very impressed with The Alchemist either, Pixie.

I'm currently falling in love with To Kill a Mockingbird all over again. I haven't read it for a few years and was wondering if my memory had hyped it up but nope, it really is as wonderful as I remember. :D

Yeah, The Alchemist is just not my type of story.

To Kill a Mockingbird is excellent, probably in my top 10 books ever. :smile2:

While Anathem by Neal Stephenson is interesting to a degree, it's not grabbing me at the moment. This is a book that requires my full concentration, and I can't give that right now.

Think I will put it down and read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

I've read a good amount of To Kill a Mockingbird and Double Cross today.

I ordered 9 books from The Book Depository last night so I have lots of mail to look forward to in coming weeks. biggrin.gif

My mojo seems to have decided to return! :D I have read Leviathan (the 3rd Erast Fandorin book by Boris Akunin) and two more Maigret novellas. I'm now ready for a something different and on Nollaig's recommendation I ordered Vlad: The Last Confession - which I am looking forward to starting later on today.

Edited by SueK

My mojo seems to have decided to return! :D

Yay!:018:

I started reading The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa this morning, and already am 80 pages in. It is so good!

My mojo seems to have decided to return! :D I have read Leviathan (the 3rd Erast Fandorin book by Boris Akunin) and two more Maigret novellas. I'm now ready for a something different and on Nollaig's recommendation I ordered Vlad: The Last Confession - which I am looking forward to starting later on today.

Are you enjoying the Akunin books, think I have read all of them, have you tried the Sister Pelagia ones?

I read a bit more of The City & The City its a slow read for me cause its so complex and my little brain is struggling to keep up

I read about 70 pages of The Eyre Affair this morning. while I was up the hospital I picked up two books on the wards book sale. They are trying to raise money for some more equipment.

I bought Want to PLay by P.J.Tracy. I wanted to get this book for a while as I have others by her and this is her debut.

Also got.Claudia: Daughter of Rome by Antoinette May. This just sounded fantastic and right up my street.

Both were 50p each.

Not sure how much reading I will get done tonight, but I hope it is alot I have so many fantastic reads to read.

Are you enjoying the Akunin books, think I have read all of them, have you tried the Sister Pelagia ones?

I read a bit more of The City & The City its a slow read for me cause its so complex and my little brain is struggling to keep up

Hi Pickle, yes I am enjoying the Akunin books - I have read the first three in the Fandorin series now and I find them quite quirky. I particularly enjoyed Leviathan - it was almost farcical in the plotline. I find Fandorin quite a strange character and quite different to the first introduction of him in the Winter Queen. It might be a while before I try the next one as they are good in small doses. I haven't tried Sister Pelagia yet - are they worth looking at?

I'm rattling through Vlad by C C Humphreys and am absolutely loving it. It's nice to have the time to do so, actually...biggrin.gif

I haven't tried Sister Pelagia yet - are they worth looking at?

I really enjoyed the Sister Pelagia ones in fact I think I prefered them to the Erast ones as there was less complication in the names and they were actually slightly humourous. I have only managed to get hold of 2 of them The Black Monk & The White Bulldog not managed to find the thrid yet as they don't have it in my library.