Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Had a good Bookcrossing meetup tonight at the Belmont Cinema cafe. Came home with 5 books after taking 3...oh well.

Two Garfield books (Kenny likes them)

'Colony' by Rob Grant (for hubby to read)

'Black Odyssey' The Case of the Slave Ship Amistad by Mary Cable. (for hubby to read)

'The Identity Factor' by James Houston Turner (again one of yours Kell, thanks, for hubby to read)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. 186 pages into it so far, and it's really good. Really unusual, quite graphic in someways but very relenting in others. Also, it IS a fantasy/fairytale novel, but it reads very realistically. Very, very unusal. But thoroughly enjoying it!

'The Abyss' by Orson Scott Card

Interesting choice - I read it before seeing the film and thought it was quite a lot better than the movie. And it had the advantage of making me go out and buy Ender's Game by the same author, which is one of the best sf novels I've ever read.

Last night I read about 80 pages of C J Sansom's Dissolution and was really enjoying it :)

Currently reading Londons Dead by Ed Gilbert which is a guided tour of the Capitals dead and so far its a fascinating read, I can see myself reading this but then researching all manner of tangents as its writtens in snippets of news.

Picked up Something Beginning With by Sarah Salway in my ongoing quest to read more short stories. Michelle suggested it a while ago, but only just got round to buying it. Used my points on my Waterstone's card so it was a free book! :smile2:

Read a couple of chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird, and about to read a few more :D

Only got 70 pages to read of The Eyre Affair. It has actually picked up alot, still not loving it as much as The big Over Easy, but I am getting into it. There is one bit that remined me of my times of going to Rocky Horror show that had me in stitches. Hoping if I can stay awake to read, Genisis by Karin slaughter. I keep seeing the book beside me ready to be read and I am salivating!!!

My mojo is all over the place at the minute. I tried to start American Psycho again but it just isn't happening. So now I'm reading an academic book called Disadvantaged by Where You Live?, which is about how the notion of community and neighbourhood has been used in urban planning policy in the UK. My mojo seems happy to absorb the words so I'm just running with it.

Zzzzzzzzz :Zzzz:

I'm up to about page 120 of The Ruins and am really freaked out! It's not horror, but definitely one of the creepiest books I've read. No wonder Stephen King has praise printed on the cover! So scary...

Started "My Name is Daphne Fairfax", the autobiography of comedian Arthur Smith. I'm not a huge fan of "alternative comedy" (the clue's in the name - if it was funny, it would just be "comedy"), but he's one of the few that does make me laugh. And he's from South London ...

Nice, unchallenging read.

Not really today but two days ago I finished Pandemonium by Christopher Brookmyre. It was OK. Not one of his best. The first half of the booked worked well with the character build up.

Have to decide what to read next. I have Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds ready to go but I'm being tempted by Faust (the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe version). Decision decisions.

I saw that W H Smiths have reduced the prices of their eBooks (so they're now competitive with the Kindle prices on Amazon, yay), so got the following five books for a total of £16:

A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson

My TBR pile seems to have increased dramatically this week :rolleyes::lol:

Also read about 100 pages of C J Sansom's Dissolution last night. Absolutely loving it :D

I managed to read just a few pages of The Lost Continent today. I'm hoping to slip in a few pages of Anne of Avonlea before I go to bed.

I had some other, unexpected, book activity today. My friend wanted to go to Borders to get a magazine and I thought I'd be good and get nothing (Borders is pretty dear here). But there was a display set up inside the door for Justin Cronin's The Passage, which I hadn't been able to find in the same shop a few weeks earlier. It was on sale for $21.99 so I picked up a copy. As I was walking around I came across more copies of the book and one of them was marked $19.99. I guess it was an error but I thought I'd try my luck so I swapped the books and I ended up getting it for the cheaper price. Yay! biggrin.gif

Then we passed Dymocks and they had a sale on so I thought I'd go in there just for a look. On the way back out I found The Big Book of Pulps edited by Otto Penzler. It's made up of three smaller books: The Crimefighters, The Villains and The Dames. I already have the first two but hadn't found the third for a reasonable price. I found this book (over 1100 pages!) for only $8 which is an absolute bargain! I think I bought The Crimefighters for $20-$30 alone!

And my friend bought me a book about cats because I'll probably be getting one soon. It's a kind of diary where you can keep track of certain things, smile.gif

Yesterday I bought two books from Asda. They were £3.86 each or two for £3. The offer didn't make much sense but I wasn't going to argue :lol:

* Babyville by Jane Green

* Presumed Guilty by Tess Gerritsen.

Last night I started to read Presumed Guilty before I went to sleep (it was the first Tess Gerritsen book I've read). I was hooked after about 5 pages and had to stay up til the wee hours of the morning finishing it. The story wasn't fantastic but I was hooked and did not guess who the murderer was. I will have to look out for more of her books in the future.

I saw that W H Smiths have reduced the prices of their eBooks (so they're now competitive with the Kindle prices on Amazon, yay), so got the following five books for a total of £16:

A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson

My TBR pile seems to have increased dramatically this week :rolleyes::lol:

Also read about 100 pages of C J Sansom's Dissolution last night. Absolutely loving it :D

Thanks for the tip on WHSmith. Just about to load up with holiday reading.

Read another 94 pages of Tender Morsels yesterday and another 50 so far today. Totally not at all what I expected, but really enjoying it. Hopefully will finish it tonight or tomorrow, I'm moving much slower than I intended.

Managed to read about 30 pages of Cutting for Stone I'm hoping to prod my mojo back to life it seems like such a long time since I've managed to do any serious reading :(

I've had a really good reading day today. This morning I started The Difference a Day Makes by Carole Matthews and so far I've read 257 pages. I could potentially finish it this evening if I put my mind to it. I've also just realised that I still haven't gotten around to starting a book log on here, so I'll have to pencil that in as a job to do tomorrow.

Managed to get three books out of the library today Charlain Harris - Dead in the Family, Linda Harris- Cold Hit and Mari Strachan - The earth hums in b flat (which looks fascinating, not sure) still continuing with my History of London's Dead and its brilliant I am learning so much