Ben's Books, '09

Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read The Hobbit when i was around 13 and i found no trouble in getting into it and finishing, i actually think it rivals any of the 'main' LOTR tales quite easily, it's absolutely brilliant.

Glad you enjoyed "Witches Abroad" :)! I do love Pratchett's witches, best characters on all Discworld along with Death in my opinion.

Yeah, I loved the witches; especially Granny! And Death is also one of my favourite characters.

I read The Hobbit when i was around 13 and i found no trouble in getting into it and finishing, i actually think it rivals any of the 'main' LOTR tales quite easily, it's absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, it's brilliant. I absolutely loved it.

Not getting very far, but ah well.. I'll get there eventually. Anyone read the Chronicles of Narnia? What did you think..

I read them when I was very young so I can't remember much in terms of details; all I remember is that they were really, really good - the fact that I can't remember much probably signals it's time for a re-read, and the fact that the feeling of it being really, really good has stuck with me through the ages probably signals it will be worth it.

Finished The Magician's Nephew. :irked:

Reviewed shortly.. along with the rest of the reviews I need to do.

Starting The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe tomorrow.

Edited by Ben

Finished: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.. moved onto The Horse and His Boy.

Reviews: Got a lot to do, very behind.. sorry about that everyone!

- The Gaudi Key.

- The Hobbit.

- Witches Abroad.

- Swallows and Amazons.

- The Magician's Nephew.

- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

:irked:

Hmm. I went to my Auntie's today.. to look through and sort some of her stuff. I felt a bit strange taking things that were hers, but everyone said that she'd want me to have what I liked. So I got some books;

The Time Traveler's Wife. - Audrey Niffenegger.

Never Let Me Go. - Kazuo Ishiguro.

Codex. - Lev Grossman.

Far from the Madding Crowd. - Thomas Hardy.

Girl With a Pearl Earring. -Tracy Chevalier.

Sacred Games. - Vikram Chandra.

A Room With a View. - E.M. Forster.

A Clockwork Orange. - Anthony Burgess.

Atlantis. - David Gibbins.

Angels and Demons. - Dan Brown.

The Reader. - Bernhad Schlink.

The Kite Runner. - Khaled Hosseini.

Hmm. I went to my Auntie's today.. to look through and sort some of her stuff. I felt a bit strange taking things that were hers, but everyone said that she'd want me to have what I liked. So I got some books;

The Time Traveler's Wife. - Audrey Niffenegger.

Never Let Me Go. - Kazuo Ishiguro.

Codex. - Lev Grossman.

Far from the Madding Crowd. - Thomas Hardy.

Girl With a Pearl Earring. -Tracy Chevalier.

Sacred Games. - Vikram Chandra.

A Room With a View. - E.M. Forster.

A Clockwork Orange. - Anthony Burgess.

Atlantis. - David Gibbins.

Angels and Demons. - Dan Brown.

The Reader. - Bernhad Schlink.

The Kite Runner. - Khaled Hosseini.

I can totally relate to that! :irked:

My uncle died in the summer and I took some of his books and dvds and was in two minds whether too. It's best we appreciate them than throwing them away or giving them to charity when you will only buy them in the end.

In a way I feel closer to my uncle knowing I'm reading books he read and possibly enjoyed too. :) I agree with Lucy she had taste!

Thank you everyone. :irked:

The amount of books, cd's and dvd's she has is unbelievable really.. I'm just glad I've got something that will help me remember her.

Finished: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.. moved onto The Horse and His Boy.

I read all of the Narnia books as a child and have recently reread The Magician's Nephew and TL,TW & TW but The Horse and His Boy is currently sitting on my coffee table but somehow I don't fancy it (can't remember the story) so I keep putting it off!

I look forward to hearing your views on it. :irked:

:blush: ditto what they said. Your auntie's books are her legacy to you, and through your appreciation of those books she will always be there. I must say I'm impressed by the range of her taste, there's quite a bit of diversity going on in that list. Some are indeed very good; especially E.M. Forster's "Room with a View". Let us know how you get on with them.

Of course I'll let you all know what I think of them.. she had many more, I just picked out ones that I recognised from on here, and some that I went with by reading the blurb. Thanks for the comments though, I understand it's what she would've wanted. I don't believe this though, I've actually had to compose a TBR for the first time ever in my life!

Ah. I did the same with my great Aunt's books after she passed away. It's a lovely reminder to have them sitting on my bookshelf.

I loved the chronicles of Narnia. The first two are my favourite but the whole series is pretty good.

I spy Codex by Lev Grossman on your list there. It got some bad reviews on amazon but I thought they were unfair. I think people were expecting it to be some kind of pacey thriller like the da vinci code. I found it to be well written and interesting, and a bit geeky (like me :blush:). Two major factors in the plot are a book and a computer game so if you like books and computer games you can't go far wrong. The pace isn't furious but I didn't find it particularly slow.

Enjoy.

A historic moment, methinks...!

Yes, indeed! :D

I spy Codex by Lev Grossman on your list there. It got some bad reviews on amazon but I thought they were unfair. I think people were expecting it to be some kind of pacey thriller like the da vinci code. I found it to be well written and interesting, and a bit geeky (like me :blush:). Two major factors in the plot are a book and a computer game so if you like books and computer games you can't go far wrong. The pace isn't furious but I didn't find it particularly slow.

Enjoy.

Thank you for that; it's one of the ones on my pile that I didn't really know much about. So thanks!

Finished The Horse and His Boy lastnight. So I will start my first book of April tonight. And I am getting some reviews done!