Ben's Books, '09

Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I'm enjoying them all quite equally at the moment, but that's not because they aren't very good! It's because they're all superb! :D I'll be writing reviews on all when I've finished them.

Finished The Last Battle and will be reviewing all books tomorrow. One thing I will say though; I thoroughly enjoyed every single book. I love how C.S. Lewis makes all the books link in with each other.. and the ending of the last book was just superb. The Christian/religious link was well done, I recognised some of the parables portrayed in the books.

Will be starting Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra. It's one of the books I got from my Auntie's huge collection. It looks excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished. - The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher / The Murder at Road Hill House. - Kate Summerscale.

Review.

TBR: 82.

First book finished in about a month. That's painful, but horribly necessary if I want to pass my exams. ;)

Edited by Ben

Starting. - Inkspell. (The Second Book in The Inkheart Trilogy). - Cornelia Funke.

Bought two books yesterday for

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so it's been a month nearly since I started Inkspell and my word am I nowhere near getting anyway. It's not been from lack of enjoyment of the book, I don't mind it, but I've been so busy with school and exams I just haven't had chance.

Now though, things are going to change, and you'll be seeing this thread have frequent posts again as I try to improve on my poor '34 books read', so far. Summer is starting today for me, the next 11 weeks I am free to do whatever I like, so that means a lot of reading.

Wish me luck, Ben's back. :D

Unfortunately for you I don't think that's going to be the case.

Today I started Inkspell on page 150, and am now on page 406, with the night barely even passed. :) I'm getting into it quite a bit now, I love the characters that are in the novel ( Dustfinger! Aye Roxi :) ), and am looking forward to reading more now. I should have this finished in no time, although it's a 680+ page book. :D

Hmm, that's an interesting view. I don't actually know anyone who has read them all, so I can't really comment on what other people have said about the last book. However, I'm really enjoying the second book so far - what did you think of it? - and this makes me glad that Cornelia Funke didn't stop at the end of the first book. We'll see how the series goes on but I will definitely buy the last book, even if I'll be disappointed.

I still need to finish the third book though. I can't stand to stop somewhere in the middle, so I'm telling myself that it's just (a big) break and read a lot of books inbetween. Well, and I do want to know how it ends.

The second book was not bad, but also not as good as the first. It just seemed to me, that the author wanted to make a trilogy no matter what.

Well it might be just a difference in opinion but I seem to be enjoying the Inkheart books a bit more than you did.

Finished. - Inkspell. (Yesterday)Have to say it was a very good read. I enjoyed it a lot.. the characters make the story for me, and the twists and turns kept me interested and wanting the last book! I'll do a full review later. :)

Read: 35.

Bought. - Four books for

Edited by Ben

Interesting, I've heard a lot from people on here about them? Looking at my TBR I don't know what to read next.. suggestions please?

And in what order do the Richard Montanari books go? :)

I'd definitely suggest the Khaled Hosseini books, very well written, and most people have recommended after reading them. I love E. M. Forster, so I would also say that's a good one to go for.

Otherwise, I'd love to know what you think of Vikram Chandra Sacred Games, as it's one I've been considering getting for a while, so any feedback would be useful.

Just a suggestion, I have a huge TBR list like you, and used to waste a lot of time trying to decide what to read next, so I did a bit of organising. I rated each book on a scale of 1 - 5 on how desperate I was to read it, and then sorted all the same ranked books so that where possible, I changed from one genre to another with each new book. This gave me an order to read in, and helped save loads of dithering time between books! It's not set in stone, and I do sometimes change my mind and pick up something from further down the list, but it's worked for me so far. It also means that if you're not enjoying a book particularly, it encourages you to keep going and finish it (put it down for good, if it's too bad!), as you know what you'll be reading next and can look forward to that one.

Alright thank you for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

I'm not sure about the organising TBR idea, as I don't really know the 'rating' of how much I want to read them, they're all the same. I think I'd rather just dip in at leisure and choose.

Thanks though! :she:

Hi Ben. The Hundredth Man is a cracking good read, being the start of a series following the same characters. I think you'll find it absorbing, exciting and that it takes a fresh perspective on the crime thriller genre. I always look forward to a new Jack Kerley novel coming out (note that he now writes as J.A.Kerley!). :she:

P.S. Alba...mmmm...

Thanks Mac! Looks like I might be starting a new one rather than something in my pile. I think I'll go with The Hundredth Man on your recommendation. So I'll be starting that today.

Synopsis from Jack Kerley's website.

Bizarre and cryptic messages found on a pair of corpses in Mobile, Alabama, launch junior police detective Carson Ryder and veteran cop Harry Nautilus into a desperate search for a mysterious killer. With the body count rising, Ryder descends into his family's terrifying past by seeking advice from his brother, a violent, taunting psychopath convicted of similarly heinous crimes. Ryder soon confronts not only his past fears and nightmares, but also the knowledge that someone he knows is the next target.

And time is running out.

Sounds good. :she: