Ben's Books, '09

Ben

Started The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time this morning, and have read 159 pages. At this rate I'll have it finished by the end of the day easily. It's very very good. :friends0:

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess, I've finished. Fantastic. Amazing. Utterly thought-provoking. I'm not home until Friday, when I can write a proper review. The fact i've finished it so quickly though, speaks volumes, I couldn't put it down.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be honest. Haven't read anything since The Curious Incident, which is depressing. The long and short of it is I just haven't had time. I'm flicking through The God Delusion, I've still nearly finished The Fellowship Of The Ring, and I'm getting to that point where I'm thinking it might be a good idea to flick open something light and easy going when I get spare minutes free from my ever-growing hectic school studies.

Okay, in some sort of effort to get myself back into reading ways, I'm going to be starting Scorpia by Anthony Horowitz, the fifth book in the Alex Rider series. Its a re-read of course, and I shouldn't really be re-reading when I have such a big TBR pile. However, I know I enjoy it, and it might get me back on track with my reading. We'll see.

Surprisingly, I'm done. I haven't moved since I started the book (this is what happens what you're ill), and am glad to say that it was as fantastic as I remembered it the other times I've read it. The Alex Rider books are always a joy to read, incidentally Anthony Horowitz's new books, Crocodile Tears (the eighth in the Alex Rider series), has just strangely wandered into my Amazon basket. I'm at loss with how that happened. :D

I've read The God Delusion, Ben. Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes. Funnily enough, my best friend is meeting him for a cup of tea this week (although I'm not entirely clear as to why - I was a little...lubricated with El Vino when he mentioned it).

Hoping all is well with you, chum.

I've read The God Delusion, Ben. Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes
:D I've read bits of The God Delusion and while some of the points Dawkins made were quite valid, it seemed to me like he was chiefly arguing against the evils of organized religion rather than against the existence of God - they are not one and the same.

I also saw a TV programme once where he was teaching schoolkids about evolution (so far, so good); only that alongside taking them to dig up fossils and other exciting stuff of this sort, he needlessly undermined their respective faiths (it was a fairly international class). My own faith has gone walkies so I'm an agnostic at the moment, but it irked me because I fail to see how God and evolution are mutually exclusive concepts.

Pretty much everyone excluding silly fanatics accept that the seven-days creation, like so much in the Old Testament, is a metaphor as opposed to hard fact. Surely if there were a being so immortal he'd existed before the beginning of time, millennia would seem like bats of eyelids to him?:smile2:

You love me really.

I've read The God Delusion, Ben. Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes. Funnily enough, my best friend is meeting him for a cup of tea this week (although I'm not entirely clear as to why - I was a little...lubricated with El Vino when he mentioned it).

Hoping all is well with you, chum.

Hey Mac, good to see you again, so to speak. Everything is mostly good with me, just feeling ill the last two days. As for The God Delusion, I'm not that far through it yet but I feel he makes some good and valid points. I feel though that he should not argue completely against it; he should think about whether some of the points for the existence of God, do actually make sense, without always dismissing them.

Hmm, I seem to have a problem.. just been into town and all of a sudden some unexplainable force took over my body, made me walk into Smiths, buy Crocodile Tears by Anthony Horowitz, and then made me walk back out again. Wahhhh! It would be rude to not read it now but I feel like I shall read Snakehead (the previous book) to refresh before doing so. :D

• 1 month later...

No posts for the last month in some ways sums up my year of reading. It's been a strange one; the first few months I hit the ground running, racking up an impressive total, despite me thinking that they would be the months where I would be so engrossed in other things that I would not possibly have a chance to read anything. As the year progressed, my reading slowed, despite the summer months and the 6 week holidays being the times where I had the most time to read. I shamefully confess that I did not take advantage of this, spending my days lost on the web in games and other unproductive things. Before I knew it I was back at school in September, starting my A Level courses of; Philosophy, English Literature, History and Psychology, and these months were the hardest I have ever faced at school. Some say 6th form/college can be more difficult than university, the evidence in this case being the amount of work I was being set. I admit it helped me, I've learned a lot in the past three months or so, but it also limited my reading time. I had hoped to read at least one book this week, and reach a total of 52 books for the year, but because of the problems I have mentioned, I just fell short at 48. Of course there still would be enough time to read those remaining four books to reach my total, but my exams are lingering and time will not be on my side as we pass into the new year. So unfortunately I shall take my total of 48, as it came, with some good new novels (The Book Thief). This has been the first year I have kept a book log, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. So as the fireworks go off on New Years Eve, at the end of a year that some of you know, has not been the best for me, with the tragic passing away of my Auntie in March, then remember the good times and the bad, the good novels, the not so good, and move into 2010 with a positive frame of mind. I am ready for the 2010, and am ready for what the year will bring; be in within books, or within the world around us.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me. :lol:

Edited by Ben