Ben's Books, '09

Ben

I have this one on my shelf Ben, thanks for reminding me. Must move it up the list TBR.

I have it on by TBR pile too, but I can't remeber where I picked it up and no idea where I got the idea that I wanted to read it. Generally I remember where my books come from and so it's very strange!:D

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've been feeling off the last couple of days, so no reading done. However, I did acquire the first four books in the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. My Grandma leant me them, and as I don't really want to put them near the bottom of TBR, I started the first one; Interview With A Vampire not long ago. I'm leaving A Clockwork Orange to the side for a little while. Has anyone read these Vampire Chronicles before? I'm sure I've heard them mentioned.

Thanks Lexi! I'm about 60 pages or so in so far and enjoying it a lot! Once I've dragged myself from the forum, I think I'll be reading late with this one. :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I hadn't read anything for ten days, before this morning. I don't know why but my mojo had gone and I just didn't feel like reading anything (I've Also have been cutting down on my time on the internet / BCF). However, in an attempt to rejuvenate my mojo, I started Harry Potter And The Half-blood Prince knowing that you can't go wrong with reading something you know you will enjoy. And also it was good preparation for the film I'm going to see soon. Low and behold, to my amazement I finished it a few hours ago. ;)

Finished. - Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.

Review.

9/10.

Now I'm back I'm going to keep going with Interview With A Vampire now and carry on from where I left off. This time I'm well and truly back in reading action. :icon_eek:

Edited by Ben

I'm a big fan of the original "Vampire Chronicles" trilogy (that is to say "Interview", "The Vampire Lestat" and "Queen of the Damned"); I felt the series dwindled a bit after that although there were still occasional moments of brilliance. Lestat is my favourite vampire - I always found Louis a bit mopey! - closely followed by Armand and Claudia. Marcus and Akasha always left me a bit cold to be honest but I put up with them in QOTD for love of Lestat. "The Vampire Lestat" is easily the funniest, best written, most compelling installment IMHO.

Okay so I hadn't read anything for ten days, before this morning. I don't know why but my mojo had gone and I just didn't feel like reading anything (I've Also have been cutting down on my time on the internet / BCF). However, in an attempt to rejuvenate my mojo, I started Harry Potter And The Half-blood Prince knowing that you can't go wrong with reading something you know you will enjoy. And also it was good preparation for the film I'm going to see soon. Low and behold, to my amazement I finished it a few hours ago. :D

Finished. - Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.

9/10.

Now I'm back I'm going to keep going with Interview With A Vampire now and carry on from where I left off. This time I'm well and truly back in reading action. :D

Love the series. Wish there was a book 8. Also you will LOVE the seventh book but will be sad once it is finished. I read Book 7, 4 times in the past year and a half and am currently rereading the 6th.;)

• 1 month later...

Well it's a long time over-due on the 'update the book-thread' situation. Okay, so I've been on holiday to the wonderful Greek island of Skiathos for two weeks - which was lovely by the way just in case you were interested.

Needless to say I got a lot of reading done. Before I went a friend of mine recommended the 'House Of Night' novels by P.C. & Kristin Cast. Which start with the novel Marked then continue in a list you can find here under 'House Of Night'. I read the first three while I was on holiday; Marked, Betrayed & Chosen. I wasn't too sure at first, as the first book takes a little bit of getting used to. Nevertheless once I got going I enjoyed them. I think at points they're a little tedious, resorting back to the same decisions the main protagonist has to make during her life as a Fledging. However, what I did see is enough to make me want to read the fourth book in the series which I will get on with doing.. Overall I guess they will probably appeal to teenage girls more - like the Twilight series - but nevertheless they weren't bad at all, in my opinion earning probably a 7/10.

The next book that I read - or should I probably say finished as I'd already started it before I got there - was The Death List. Now, this is one that I was certainly impressed with. The main character, a writer, has lost everything; his wife has left him and his editor has fired him. He thinks all is lost, and then he starts receiving emails from a fan calling himself The White Devil. As the murders begin, Matt Wells begins to be drawn into something he would have never expected; a race against time to save those he cares about. A thrilling novel full of action, suspense and a feeling that urges Matt to make the right decisions. I loved it and would give it a 9/10. It might have been the fact I was reading it late, or genius writing but I didn't get one of the main revelations to quite near the end.

The fifth and final book I read while I was on holiday was The Skin Gods. This was in the same gulf of literary genius as the book above, The Death List. Like the former, it leaves the reader turning the pages with eager anticipation as we follow Philadelphia's Homicide Unit as a series of brutal and savage murders begin. What's even more sickening is 'The Actor' or so he is being dubbed, is filming his actions and is replaying famous Hollywood film murders and leaving the tapes for the unsuspecting public to find. This leaves the department baffled with who to trust and the right decisions to make. I thought the way the author, Richard Montanari weaves the plot together is superb, keeping the reader guessing to the end. I'm certainly going to be sure to check out some of the books with the same characters as this one, as I think this book deserves a strong 9/10. I would recommend to anyone wanting a book full of suspense and anticipation.

Okay so five books to add to my total of books read thus far this year, bringing my current total to 43. Disappointing to the blistering pace at which I started, but exams and a loss of reading mojo at the beginning of the summer slowed this total down.

I've now moved onto a book called The Glass Books of The Dream Eaters. It's very interesting so far, as anyone heard of it? It's very well detailed and I'm really enjoying it. I'll update more as I get further.

Edited by Ben

Hi Ben, sounds like you had a lovely holiday! Hope you're having a good summer, even if your reading hasn't gone as well as you'd hoped. :D

I've now moved onto a book called The Glass Books of The Dream Eaters. It's very interesting so far, as anyone heard of it? It's very well detailed and I'm really enjoying it. I'll update more as I get further.

I remember it being reviewed a couple of years ago on Radio 5's Simon Mayo show, and I've looked at it a few times in book shops, but never actually bought it. Still tempted, though, so a good review from you could mean it's added to my wishlist :D

The Death list sounds like an awesome book. I will keep my eye out for that one.

Thanks Ben! :lol:

No problem catwomen, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Let me know if you get around to reading it and we can compare notes. :D

I remember it being reviewed a couple of years ago on Radio 5's Simon Mayo show, and I've looked at it a few times in book shops, but never actually bought it. Still tempted, though, so a good review from you could mean it's added to my wishlist :)

Ah well I'm enjoying it so far. I think what's drawing me in is the tone it's written in. Very detailed and written well is always an advantage to me. I'll let you know what I think. I'm enjoying my summer so far, how's things with you? :D

Ohh, The Death List looks like exactly my kind of thing, so I'll be getting that! :lol: Just looked on Amazon for it and there's a sequel called The Soul Collector, not sure if you know already, but thought I'd let you know just in case you didn't! I also just got Marked through the post today, so I'm glad you mostly like that series :lol:

Ohh, The Death List looks like exactly my kind of thing, so I'll be getting that! :D Just looked on Amazon for it and there's a sequel called The Soul Collector, not sure if you know already, but thought I'd let you know just in case you didn't! I also just got Marked through the post today, so I'm glad you mostly like that series :D

Hey Lexi, long time no speak! You okay? :lol: Yeah I thought you'd like the sound of that, was actually going to PM you the recommendation in case you didn't see this, but it looks like you beat me too it. :smile2: I knew about the sequel as well, will be ordering it ASAP. (: And yeah, let me know what you think of Marked because I can see why people would like it, and also see why people wouldn't so it's a bit hit and miss. :lol:

Hey Ben :lol: I'm doing good thanks, how about you? Sounds like you had a fab holiday, next time don't forget to take me okay?! :lol: Yeah it does sound right up my street, and I think Mac would definitely like it too if you want to mention it to him :smile2: I'll let you know as soon as I read Marked, I seem to be on a vampire kick atm, so I'm hoping I'll be one of the ones that like it! :D

Glad to hear your doing okay. I'm great thanks, you should have said - I might have been able to squeeze you in my suitcase. :lol: Yeah I thought of Mac as well, not spoke to him for a while so I'll drop him a PM and slide the recommendation in. :lol:

It's very near the top of my 'to read' pile. :lol: I got it at that Book Spa thing that my husband bought me - it was highly recommended by the bookstore owner.

I won't read your thread about it when you've finished it until after I've read it, but I'll look forward to comparing notes. :lol:

Hello Janet good to hear from you. Don't worry about reading my thread before you have read the novel because any notes that I write about The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters won't include any spoilers, as is the same with any reviews I write. I do, however look forward to hearing your thoughts as well though. :lol:

Hey Ben, Glass Books was in Bookjumper's thread, though no idea whether it's something she's read, or wants to read. I THINK she's read it though. It made it's way onto my wishlist, anyway, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think :lol:

Hello Janet good to hear from you. Don't worry about reading my thread before you have read the novel because any notes that I write about The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters won't include any spoilers, as is the same with any reviews I write. I do, however look forward to hearing your thoughts as well though. :lol:

Thanks Ben, that's good to know. In that case I look forward to reading your thoughts. :lol:

Hey Ben, Glass Books was in Bookjumper's thread, though no idea whether it's something she's read, or wants to read. I THINK she's read it though. It made it's way onto my wishlist, anyway, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think :smile2:

Hey Roxi, hope you're okay? :lol: Yes, I spoke to her about it in another thread not too long ago. She said she's read the first chapter and flown through that when Waterstones were giving out free extracts or something. Then she flipped through it when it came out but thought that the sexual references in it would ruin the plot for her. So she's hoping that I can provide some thoughts on it. Glad it's on your wishlist, I'm really starting to enjoy it. :lol: