Ben's Books, '09

Ben

Yeah. It's a lot different from the Twilight books though, but much better. Everything about it is better in my opinion; her writing style (it's improved unless I'm imagining things), the plot, the characters. Much better than the Twilight series, which I did enjoy also.. so this is saying something.

I personally preferred Twilight for the impact it had and how much I enjoyed it. But The Host is great, I enjoyed it immensely as well. You're right, it is very different to Twilight but there is a similar appeal there. I do prefer how Meyer developed the characters in The Host though, they had a lot more depth and obvious flaws.

Glad you enjoyed it. :D

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I'll look forward to reading those.

Meyer has stated that she is "almost done" writing a possible sequel to 'The Host', entitled 'The Soul'. If she were to continue the series, the third book would be called 'The Seeker'. - That's from Wikipedia. I don't know if it's true but I have read it somewhere else that she's writing sequels for it so let's hope there's truth to it.

Glad you enjoyed 'The Host', it is a really good read :D

Potential sequels (From Wikipedia)

In March 2008, Stephenie Meyer stated that a sequel to The Host was "almost done", she said in an interview that, if published, the first sequel would be entitled The Soul and the second The Seeker.

:D

Is it just that you're not interested in Twilight Michelle, or that the hype puts you off?

I wrote about it on my blog.. and the comments I received helped my decision! Especially people telling me what a weak character Bella is, and hearing how wonderful Edward is all the time - these days I much prefer my stories to be more realistic.

There's a tiny part of me that still thinks I should read it to make my own mind up, but I still have many reasons for not doing so! :D

There's a tiny part of me that still thinks I should read it to make my own mind up, but I still have many reasons for not doing so! :D

That's exactly how I feel about the Twilight series!

I perfectly understand how you feel. I read it when the hype wasn't built up as much, so there wasn't really a doubt about me reading them. I know now though that because of the hype that some people are reluctant to read them.

Finished The Gaudi Key.

- My initial thoughts are that I enjoyed it. Very much like the Davinci Code, but the riddles in the novel made it very interesting.

I'll review when I get chance.

Starting The Hobbit.

Never actually managed to finish this book, but we'll see.

Smaug certainly looked fast asleep, when Bilbo peeped once more from the entrance. He was just about to step out on to the floor when he caught a sudden thin ray of red from under the drooping lid of Smaug's left eye. He was only pretending to sleep! He was watching the tunnel entrance!

Whisked away from his comfortable hobbit-hole by Gandalf the wizard and a band of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificant, a large and very dangerous dragon...

Finished The Hobbit. Don't really understand why I've struggled before.. I enjoyed it.

Review when I get chance.

Edited by Ben

Forgot too mention I received three books from BookJumper this morning in the post, all for free. :lol:

Witches Abroad.

Hogfather.

Monstrous Regiment.

Starting Witches Abroad some time tomorrow, I think.

Synopsis.

It seemed an easy job... After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now...

Starting Witches Abroad some time tomorrow, I think.

Synopsis.

It seemed an easy job... After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now...

Oh, that sounds very intriguing! The kind of funny twist on the fairytales... What did you think of it? Is it worth looking out for?

Starting The Hobbit.

Never actually managed to finish this book, but we'll see.

I could never finish The Hobbit either. I tried several times and eventually gave up. Better luck with it this time, Ben! :haha:

Finished The Hobbit. Don't really understand why I've struggled before.. I enjoyed it.

That's weird, I had the same problem for years. Tried to read it several times but could never get into it. And then a few years ago I tried again and got completely hooked. Loved it! I never understood why...

It's one of the Discworld novels, by Terry Pratchett? You've probably heard of them. If not give them a look up on Google. It's brilliant. Pratchett's writing style is very captivating, and his characters are outstanding in the vast majority of Discworld novels.

Eta - The Hobbit. - I think this time I managed to get into it a lot because I've been sat with my Auntie all week-end, in hospital. Just maybe because it was very quiet, and easy to concentrate. That's why I've finished three books in three days.

Ah right, yes I have heard of them a lot but for some reason never was tempted... But that one sounds good. I dont suppose I can read it before the others? Would probably be a waste. mmm I'll have to look into that series. What would the first one be?

http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/ReadingGuide.html

Handy link there. But that being said, the series is wrote where you don't have to really read them in any certain order. I'd only read the first one of the whole series (The Colour of Magic), before plunging into that one which is dotted about somewhere in the middle of the series. The order really doesn't matter. Btw, The Colour of Magic isn't his best at all.. so don't feel the need to start there. Hope that helps.

Lol, well like I said you can read as many or as little as you want, the series is good that way because it doesn't limit you to reading them in any particular order. Just means you can dip into one or two, then go back to something different. :haha: Hope you enjoy anyway..

Reviews. - Just a little note to remind me that three reviews need to be written.

1) The Gaudi Key.

2) The Hobbit.

3) Witches Abroad.

Will be writing these some time soon, possibly tomorrow.