Ben's Books, '09

Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:friends0: I enjoyed them both equally but for different reasons. She's apparently writing two more books after The Host, so that'll be good.

Fair enough, and yes, hopefully they will be enjoyable. I hope she puts the effort into them, instead of relying on the people that bought her previous novels, to buy these ones.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it :irked:

Thank you.

I loved the Twilight series. I've got The Host on my TBR stack. I'm eager to read it. :lol:

At the moment it's not bad. I can't comment on later on in the book, because I'm currently not too far in, as I'm reading it slowly. I'll report back though, of course, when I've finished.

The Host: Everything seems to have come to a stand-still with this book. It's the 10th of the month now, and I'm way behind on my reading. Could do with doing something about it really.

Bought: I Did add more books to my shelves today though, can't go wrong with that. And they were 80p, so that's a plus side of things.

The Outcast. - Sadie Jones.

The Prince And The Pauper. - Mark Twain.

The Gaudi Key. - Esteban Martin, Andreu Carranza.

The Protector. - Duncan Falconer.

Anyone read any of them? Were they worth buying? I don't really know why I bought them. I guess the price-tag of 20p per book; was too much to avoid buying anything, so I just got whatever jumped out at me.

Hm, made a start on The Gaudi Key; reading alongside The Host. Only read something like ten pages, but it's not too bad so far. It's seems to be very like The Davinci Code.

The Gaudi Key.

His Past. Our Future.

Barcelona, 1926.

As the Grand Master of an ancient religious brotherhood nears death, he chooses to entrust to Antonio Gaudi a sacred object whose existence has been suppressed since the early Christian era. The great architect protects the artefact by hiding it where he believes it will never be discovered..

A new country, and a new danger. The granddaughter of Gaudi's apprentice is now charged with finding the holy object. With the help of Miguel, her mathematician boyfriend, Maria unravels the clues Gaudi placed in his work. The prize, she believes, is the whereabouts of a sacred relic. But as mutilated bodies and sinister enemies follow in their wake, both realize that what's at stake is of far greater importances...and their survival is the key.

Looks good this one, typical davinci code. :shrug:

Still going very slow with reading, so let's see if I can get somewhere with this.

That sounds very similar to something I read a little while back, The Reincarnationist - M.J. Rose, so if you enjoy the one you're reading now, then maybe you can keep an eye out for this one, you may enjoy it too :shrug: These 2 time period books are really popular at the moment aren't they? I've been seeing variations of them everywhere

Yeah I've noticed them as well. I haven't been reading quick recently, but the year is still young, and I will catch up when I finish the exams. So maybe I'll keep an eye out for then.

Finished. - The Host. Last night at about 12:15am.

Review. (Coming soon).

Initial thoughts. I enjoyed it immensely. Very different idea for the plot from her other books, and this I preferred.

2s13wrb.jpg

Synopsis from the back of the book.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love..

My thoughts.

When I first picked this up, I wasn't too sure about it. I had read Stephenie Meyer's other books; Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Although I enjoyed these previous novels, I'm not the only one that says that some parts dragged on.. and that some of the writing style was far from perfect. I thought this might be the same with The Host, hence my reluctance to read it. In the end, after putting it off by reading some of my other books before, I just went for it, in the hope that I would enjoy the novel better than those previous.

I have to say that I was certainly not disappointed. The story is a little slow to start off with, but you soon become caught up with the characters, and you soon forget the slow start. In this story, an 'alien race' of parasites has taken over the planet, using humans as hosts and leaving only a handful of human rebels behind. While the humans fought a good fight, in the end, well, they lost. The main plot follows Wanderer, a soul who has been recently inserted inside a human host. Her host is called Melanie Stryder, and she turns out to be apart of the human resistance. We find out that Melanie had attempted to commit suicide after discovering she was trapped by the alien invaders. She threw herself down an elevator shaft, only to be later healed by 'The Healers', and then deemed as a viable host.

Melanie's presence is known to her new host almost immediately, and the two battle for the upper-hand. Resistant hosts are rare. Needless to say that Wanderer controls the body but Melanie’s thoughts and memories are hard to suppress. Wanderer is to find at report any info that she learns about resistence from the humans, from Melanie. However, Melanie makes it extremely hard for her to do so. Wanderer does know that Melanie left behind two people she loved most: her little brother Jamie and the love of her life, Jared. Wanderer does discover the band of human rebels led by Melanie’s Uncle Jeb and she spends most of the story in captivity with them. She, of course, receives a lot of interest from the human rebels, whether things turn out for her or not, you'll have to read the book to find out.

The story maintains a nice tension throughout its 625 pages. I worried forthe outcome of these characters, which shows that I was caught up in everything they did, with each turn of the page. The epilogue seemed to hint at a sequel, which makes my very intrigued about what will happen next. I'd recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys a journey packed with love, tension and pain.

9/10.

Edited by Ben

Did you prefer it to the Twilight books? I've heard from a few people that they're better, but I wasn't impressed enough my Twilight to read the rest of that series. It at least sounds a bit more unique

Yeah. It's a lot different from the Twilight books though, but much better. Everything about it is better in my opinion; her writing style (it's improved unless I'm imagining things), the plot, the characters. Much better than the Twilight series, which I did enjoy also.. so this is saying something.

That's only my opinion remember. :D There's always the chance you could hate it! :D Hopefully if you do try it you'll like it though.