Ben's Books, '09

Ben

The Book Thief is (not a word I use often but needs must)..awesome!

It is a gorgeous book Ben and I know what you mean about time because it took me awhile to read it but well worth it ;)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a productive reading week-end.

Skipped through the rest of The Book Thief on Friday night. I shed a tear, such a beautiful and amazingly written book.

10/10.

I also read The Tales Of Beedle The Bard on Saturday. A nice easy read, but as would be expected from a few fairy tales, it wasn't terribly exciting.

6/10.

Moving onto reading The Amulet Of Samarkand.

Edited by Ben

Aha thank you Kylie. :blush:

Finished The Amulet Of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Was very impressed, very good plot and characters, kept me not wanting to put it down!

9/10.

Edit - Will be starting the next in the series, The Golem's Eye, either a bit later tonight, or tomorrow, depending on how much time I have on my hands.

Sypnosis from back.In The Amulet Of Samarkand the young magician Nathaniel won wide acclaim for his daring exploits in saving the powerful jewel for the government; now he seems set to continue his meteoric rise through the ministerial ranks.

But the mysterious Resistance inflicts terrifying destruction on London, and soon Nathaniel's job and his very life are under threat, not only from the elusive Kitty and her companions, but from an unknown and bewildering source. Nathaniel is forced to embark on a perilous mission to the enemy city of Prague and to summon once again the troublesome, enigmatic and quick-witted djinni, Bartimaeus.

A roller-coaster ride of magic, adventure and political skulduggery in which the fates of Nathaniel, Bartimaeus and Kitty explosively collide.

Also will be seeing if I can get hold of the last of The Black Magician trilogy (High Lord) from a friend at school. He's taking his time reading it, but I'm persevering.

I don't usually but might start both at the same time.

Edited by Ben

Hmm, haven't started The Golem's Eye yet. Will be starting it when I've got a shower. If I'm on here before 9pm (Logging off now..), get me told. :D

Yes, It's very good, but that's only my opinion. :lol: Worth trying though. I wrote a review on it in one of the earlier pages on this thread. :D

Finished The Golem's Eye.

I was very impressed with this book, after deciding to start re-reading the trilogy. This is the second explosive adventure that Jonathan Stroud weaves amongst the pages. It's very fast-paced, with lots of action that seems to kick off everywhere, much like the first book of the series The Amulet Of Samarkand.

I enjoy the plot in these novels, as you find yourself whisked away by the brilliant writing style of Jonathan. From the demons to the magicians that en-slave them, back to the commoners that walk the streets, each character has a different story to tell. Kitty's, Nathanie'sl, and Bartimaeus' life's cross each other in this, the second in the trilogy, and they cross in explosive fasion.

A mysterious being destroys the streets of London. Can it's source of power be un-covered and brought to attention in time? Read this brilliant book to find out for yourselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone who loves a good fantasy read. :roll: Make sure you read The Amulet Of Samarkand, the first in the series, before plunging into the second adventure.

9/10.

Received The High Lord - last in the Black Magician trilogy,from a friend. Depending on how I get on with my Spanish revision.. I'll start it later tonight. :eek:

Edited by Ben

Ok that 'starting tonight' thing never really happened. I started The High Lord yesterday, and I've read 400 pages so far. Really enjoying the final book, only 200 more pages to go.

Also, I will be reading more and more now to get away from things, bottle up my emotions.

I went to Borders today and bought;

The Host - Stephenie Meyer.

Private Peaceful - Michel Morpurgo.

Noughts And Crosses - Malorie Blackman.

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett.

I went to Borders today and bought;

The Host - Stephenie Meyer.

Private Peaceful - Michel Morpurgo.

Noughts And Crosses - Malorie Blackman.

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett.

I read The Host after I finished the Twilight saga, although didn't enjoy it as much, and it was too drawn out for me, but I'll be interested to see what you think, Ben.

On the other hand, Private Peaceful is a fabulous book, and very interesting as it dealt with issues from the First World War I didn't know much about. Hope you enjoy it too.

I read The Host after I finished the Twilight saga, although didn't enjoy it as much, and it was too drawn out for me, but I'll be interested to see what you think, Ben.

On the other hand, Private Peaceful is a fabulous book, and very interesting as it dealt with issues from the First World War I didn't know much about. Hope you enjoy it too.

Thank you for your comments. :) I'm looking forward to reading them, and the other two I bought.