Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:):lol::lol:

Hope you enjoy it Ben! :lol:

Haha, thank you Nici. :tong:

Right, edit (17:10pm), I'm going to start Inkheart, right now, this instant! I'll be back later to tell you all how I'm getting on. ;)

Edited by Ben
I hadn't got around to starting it yet.

Right, edit (17:10pm), I'm going to start Inkheart, right now, this instant! I'll be back later to tell you all how I'm getting on. ;)

...and yet here you still are! :) Repeat after me 'My name is Ben and I'm a Book Club Forum addict.' :lol:

I have Treasure Island and the Magician's Guild books. I've read the first Trudi Canavan book and have yet to pick up the next two. I haven't read Treasure Island, the text is quite hard to get in to I think but I reckon it will be one worth persevering with...

It is certainly worth getting into. :lol: I've wrote a review on it, that you'll find within the 'classics' section of the forum.

...and yet here you still are! :) Repeat after me 'My name is Ben and I'm a Book Club Forum addict.' :lol:

My name is Ben and I'm a Book Club Forum addict. In my defence, it could be a lot worse! At least I'm addicted to books! ;)

Finally making some head-way, thanks to the fact I logged off for a while! :lol: On about pg200, which is slow going for me, but it's great so far. :lol: I can't wait to see what happens to the characters as the book develops. :)

Right, that's it.. I'm making a promise to myself to read the rest of Inkheart. I love it, so I don't know what the problem is. Probably just the fact I had to stay behind at school, then come and do a History assignment.. then I came on here and checked up on things. I've hardly had time to read it! Will do now though.. going going, gone. :roll:

Finished Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke, just now. It's taken me a while in fairness, but was well worth the read. :roll: Review coming as soon as possible.

Edit - 3rd review ever, comments appreciated. :(

nmgryr.jpg

inkheart.jpgInkheart - Cornelia Funke.

Synopsis from the back.

Meggie loves books. So does her father, Mo, a bookbinder, although he has never read aloud to her since her mother mysteriously disappeared. They live quietly until the night a stranger knocks at their door. He has come with a warning that forces Mo to reveal an extraordinary secret - a storytelling secret that will change their lives for ever.

Review.

After hearing mixed reviews and opinions on this book, I finally decided to pick it of my book-shelf and just give it a shot in the dark. I was not disappointed. It's another brilliant young-adult fantasy novel that wows the reader from the moment the stranger knocks on the door. The author is trying to show people the love of books, and what they mean to some people, whilst telling a story of adventure and wonder.

The characters are what makes this book stand out from the rest, they just literally leap of the pages to you. From the mysterious fire-swallower Dustfinger, who lurks through the night with his nifty fingers, and seems to come and go like the wind, to Elinor, Meggie's great Aunt, who has an unconditional love for books, and will stop at nothing to protect her 'ink children'. Of course every good fantasy needs a villain, and who better than the tall, gaunt, pale man with light, crew-cut hair and eyes so pale that it appears "as if the colour had drained out of them", Capricorn. A man so cruel that if he found a bird being eaten by a cat, he would "feed the bird to the cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart."

Although the plot is slightly repetitive, the reader barely even gives this a second thought, as you find yourself swept on a journey with Meggie and co, and left turning the pages nervously wondering what is going to happen to them. When the characters voluntarily return to Capricorn's base, I wanted to yell out loud at them for being so stupid. Nothing was worth facing him again, or was it? What mystery's would they find there as they returned for the last time.. the twists and turns kept me interested throughout.

At 543 pages, I would recommend Conelia Funke's novel Inkheart to anyone that enjoys a good edge-of-your-seat type of young-adult fantasy book. A brilliant read, I will be sure to check out Inkspell, the second novel in the Inkworld trilogy.

9/10.

Edited by Ben
Image fixed.

Aweeesomeeee I knew you'd love it! I think theres something inherently childlike in the story that draws younger people rather than adults in - and I still love it because I read it when I was your age!

Dustfinger's character develops so much more in Inkspell when you see him in his own world! Inkspell is much more adventurous because its set in an entirely different world and immediately loses one of the key features of Inkheart - the relationship of Inkheart characters to our own world - but if you bear with it, it's worth it =D

And that review's not half bad, dear. :roll:

Aweeesomeeee I knew you'd love it! I think theres something inherently childlike in the story that draws younger people rather than adults in - and I still love it because I read it when I was your age!

Dustfinger's character develops so much more in Inkspell when you see him in his own world! Inkspell is much more adventurous because its set in an entirely different world and immediately loses one of the key features of Inkheart - the relationship of Inkheart characters to our own world - but if you bear with it, it's worth it =D

And that review's not half bad, dear. :(

Yeah, I think it's a book that both adults and kids can joy. :(

Ohh, can't wait to get Inkspell. Anyway, next up.. The Novice second in the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I'm going to start this tomorrow, too tired to start now. I'm logging off get some sleep. Night Roxi, thanks for the comment on the review, it wasn't bad I guess. :roll:

I'm also glad to see you enjoyed Inkheart. It seems to be gathering a rep on here for being a book that you will enjoy more when younger - it wasn't that long ago that I read it, so either that rep is inaccurate, or I'm young at heart! :)

Ben, you might want to look into Terry Pratchett's Nation, and have you read anything by Jonathan Stroud?

I'm also glad to see you enjoyed Inkheart. It seems to be gathering a rep on here for being a book that you will enjoy more when younger - it wasn't that long ago that I read it, so either that rep is inaccurate, or I'm young at heart! :)

Ben, you might want to look into Terry Pratchett's Nation, and have you read anything by Jonathan Stroud?

Thank you Michelle. I'm looking into the Discoworld novels, because they look good. As for Jonathan I've read the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I enjoyed it quite a lot! :)

Nation is separate from the Discworld novels, and is probably aimed right at your age group. Stroud's latest, Heroes of the Valley was also really good. I very much enjoyed the bartimaeus Trilogy, and they're on my shelves waiting for a re-read. :)

Well I don't know about that, but the DiscWorld novels sound good. I'll look into Nation. The bartimeaus trilogy is very good. Mine need a re-read as well.

Finished The Novice now. Took me longer than expected, but it was brilliant! I'll write a little review later. :)

Starting on The Book Thief, what's everyone's opinions on this? :)