Ben's Books, '09

Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so was back at school on Monday, to 6th form, a whole new experience! One of the first things I've found out is what novel we are to be studying at A level, for English Literature. The answer to that is The Great Gatsby. - F. Scott Fitzgerald. Our teacher says that we shouldn't read too far ahead but I had a quiet word saying I'll struggle to stop reading if I get really into it. He sounded delighted that I was so interested and said I could read the first chapter - which *consults book*, is 19 pages long. :D I've never read the novel but I've come across it while reading other people's book blogs and things. My question is as anyone read it and what did you think? (I know there's a thread, I'll trawl through it later). I'm quite excited for this subject.

Also, Inkdeath has approximately 200 pages left, or so.. maybe less. It'll be tough to say when I'll finish that, though. I'm sure I'll get around to it while carrying my new 6th form workload.

Okay, so was back at school on Monday, to 6th form, a whole new experience! One of the first things I've found out is what novel we are to be studying at A level, for English Literature. The answer to that is The Great Gatsby. - F. Scott Fitzgerald. Our teacher says that we shouldn't read too far ahead but I had a quiet word saying I'll struggle to stop reading if I get really into it. He sounded delighted that I was so interested and said I could read the first chapter - which *consults book*, is 19 pages long. :D I've never read the novel but I've come across it while reading other people's book blogs and things. My question is as anyone read it and what did you think? (I know there's a thread, I'll trawl through it later). I'm quite excited for this subject.

Also, Inkdeath has approximately 200 pages left, or so.. maybe less. It'll be tough to say when I'll finish that, though. I'm sure I'll get around to it while carrying my new 6th form workload.

I bet you will be well into the Great Gatsby by the end of the week hon xx

Well he did say just the first chapter for now.. so I'm going to try listen and not get too far ahead as it might affect the class decisions and things. I've got plenty of other reading to do alongside, so I won't rush The Great Gatsby.

Be sure to let us know what you think, Ben. Actually, The Great Gatsby just happens to be a book that my bookclub is reading early next year ....I'm looking forward to that meeting.

I hope you enjoy The Great Gatsby, Ben. I recently re-read it and loved it just as much the second time around.

Thanks you two, I'm sure I'll love it.

Well like I said, could be a month before I get to review it because of how much we're allowed to read from the teacher. But I'm looking forward to it. We also found out the other text we'll be studying in English Literature; The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time. Really looking forward to this one, don't really know when we start though..

Yes I am indeed. Only problem like I've mentioned is we will be assigned the amount of reading to do from them.

Just come straight on here from finishing Inkdeath. Well, what can I say.. It was terrific. I thought it was brilliantly written, weaving words of suspense, excitement and love. I'm quite sad that the series is now at a close as it's been a great sense of enjoyment for me, reading these novels. I shall write a proper review shortly.

Yes I am indeed. Only problem like I've mentioned is we will be assigned the amount of reading to do from them.

Just come straight on here from finishing Inkdeath. Well, what can I say.. It was terrific. I thought it was brilliantly written, weaving words of suspense, excitement and love. I'm quite sad that the series is now at a close as it's been a great sense of enjoyment for me, reading these novels. I shall write a proper review shortly.

I look forward to reading it now :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The Great Gatsby. - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Synopsis.

In The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald brilliantly captures both the disillusion of post-war America and the moral failure of a society obsessed with wealth and status. But he does more than render the essence of a particular time and place, for in chronicling Gatsby's tragic pursuit of his dream, Fitzgerald re-creates the universal conflict between illusion and reality.

Okay, so as you may have seen before, I mentioned that I was reading this novel for my English Literature class. My teacher said only to read 3 chapters so far, but as I've already explained to him, I accidentally read to not fair from the end as I enjoyed it too much! :friends0: It's a great classic and I am enjoying it immensely. When I finish I'll get a review up.

Well he said he expected it to happen with most people in the class, surely if you're truly eager for your subject you read up / in advance for it? And thanks, was hoping to get moving with it tonight but just spent two hours doing some History work and I just feel like relaxing for a little bit. :friends0:

Finished The Great Gatsby today. Slowed down for the last couple of chapters due to huge work-load and such and such. Will post a review on it shortly - will be on the blog at http://www.benjisramblings.wordpress.com (if anyone's still reading, because the posts are still coming). Also, started The Fellowship of The Ring. - which I'm quite sure you wonderful lot won't need introducing too.

Sorry I haven't been about much recently, been mega busy, hope you're all well. :irked:

Hi there Anisa, I'll get around to writing the review at some point soon! Handing in a History essay today so they might be a bit less strain on me tonight with the work-load.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I'm afraid once again I'm going to have to make my excuses for not being online as much and for not updating this thread. Although, granted I haven't finished a book in a while. 6th form is not exactly what I was expecting - of course I didn't expect it too be easy - however, I didn't expect to be saying that I can't class breaking up for half-term as a holiday. Too give you an idea of how much of a work-load I've been buried under in the last few months, my list of things to do for this 'holiday' is as follows;

- Two English Literature essays.

- One History essay.

- One Philosophy & Ethics essay.

- Five planned previous essay questions for History.

Plus general read through of everything we've done so far in lessons.

So yes, that gives you an idea about the work I've been getting, therefore meaning less reading time.. However, I have nearly finished The Fellowship of The Ring and I've started The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins as something to dip into when I've got a little bit of time on my hands. I'm finding it incredibly interesting and very well written. I did think it would help me with a bit of background reading for Philosophy & Ethics as well.

So, busy times for Ben! Hope everyone else is okay! :P

What a lot of work! It was difficult enough doing one A level (although I was old when I did it, so that's my excuse! :D ). I found that I didn't get much time for reading for pleasure either.

Good to see you around though, even if you haven't got much 'bookish' news. :P

Yes, well I think I made the mistake of taking four essay-based subjects.. Just seems like the second I think I've finished everything, we've got work coming at us again from all angles! Oh well, nobody said it was going to be easy, I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Thank you though, I'm sure I can always find time to pop on this place. :D:P