Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm considering trying a re-readathon next time to see how I get on with old stuff.

x

If you do it, I hope you'll have fun :)

I'm really excited for the November read-a-thon because it will be the first weekend in a long time that I'm not busy. Good timing!

x

I hope you have fun :). I'm already excited for it too :giggle2:.

Edited by Athena

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on finishing The Grapes of Wrath if I'm not done by then and reading a collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories. Might get started on reading The Catcher in the Rye

Nice to hear some of you will be joining :)! I plan to be joining and I'm hoping my boyfriend might join me (if perhaps not all the time). He read a book a few days ago and enjoyed it.

I plan to be reading:

Kathy Lette - Love is Blind

Roald Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 4: Mary Anne Saves the Day

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Ilya - The Mammoth Book of Best New Manga Volume 3

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 2: De Cock en de Treurende Kater

There might be time left after this, I'm not sure, it'll depend on how things go. If there is, I'll pick another book off my piles :giggle2:.

I was hoping to join in this month (missed the last two :() but now my Mum-in-law is coming for a visit .. and as she hasn't been before (to this house) I need to majorly tidy :blush2: (first impressions and all that) .. and also because it's her birthday make a cake or something so time will be limited on Fri/Sat .. but on Sunday I hope to join in :)

I was hoping to join in this month (missed the last two :() but now my Mum-in-law is coming for a visit .. and as she hasn't been before (to this house) I need to majorly tidy :blush2: (first impressions and all that) .. and also because it's her birthday make a cake or something so time will be limited on Fri/Sat .. but on Sunday I hope to join in :)

Pops

Good luck with the visit from the Mother in Law . Mine was from the Black Lagoon . Knew more about everyone elses' business than THEY knew . She's the only woman I've ever met that talked so much she melted her dentures . 

Pops

Good luck with the visit from the Mother in Law . Mine was from the Black Lagoon . Knew more about everyone elses' business than THEY knew . She's the only woman I've ever met that talked so much she melted her dentures . 

:D Yep .. mine's from there too .. they must be related  :D 

I've managed to get in just over 2.5 hours worth of reading today so far and I may squeeze in a little more before I go to sleep. I had two books on the go and I finished No Easy Day by Mark Owen (207 pages read in 150 mins). I enjoyed this far more than I expected to and all my fears about it were unfounded. I also tried to read some more of The Plague by Albert Camus but I had to put it down again after only 7 pages. The first part of it was fine but I seem to have ground to a halt with it. I really don't want to give up on it because I'm halfway through but it needs to pick up soon.

I initially thought I would have a lot of time to read this weekend, but it turns out that I work all night tonight, have a competition tomorrow, and work the rest of saturday and sunday. 

Wish I could have participated. I have just started reading Paper Towns by John Green.

Sorry to hear a lot of people didn't have much time. It didn't go brilliant for me this time, because I was in a bad mood.

My statistics:

Friday 01-11-2013

50 mins, 121 pages, Kathy Lette - Love is Blind: But Marriage is a Real Eye Opener

1h 10 mins, 214 pages, Roald Dahl - Danny the Champion of the World

1h, 156 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 4: Mary Anne Saves the Day (re-read)

Saturday 02-11-2013

1h 30 mins, 160 pages, A. C. Baantjer - De Cock 7: De Cock en de Treurende Kater

1h 15 mins, 143 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (re-read)

Sunday 03-11-2013

10 mins, 17 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (re-read)

Total: 6 h 5 mins, 811 pages

Friday was an allright read-a-thon day but Saturday and especially Sunday I wasn't in the mood to do anything. I've been in a bad mood and didn't feel like doing anything so I didn't read much, especially not on Sunday. My overall statistics are actually not too bad, I thought it'd be worse. It felt like I didn't read much (well, on Sunday I really didn't). On Saturday I still tried to force myself, on Sunday I didn't bother.

Maybe it will go better for everyone next time, in December or maybe in the new year.

Kay, how did the visit go? (it might be in your thread, I don't think I have the time today to browse all of the unread posts, so I apologise if it is in your thread)

Edited by Athena

Since my last read-a-thon was a bit of a fail (for me), I'm looking forward to the next one in December (6, 7, 8 December), I hope to be doing more (enjoyable) reading :). My boyfriend has said he might try and read a bit in his non-fiction book (If The Allies Had Fallen by Dennis Showalter and Harold Deutsch). It'd be fun to sit on the sofa together and read.

Edited by Athena

• 2 weeks later...

Kay, how did the visit go? (it might be in your thread, I don't think I have the time today to browse all of the unread posts, so I apologise if it is in your thread)

Sorry Gaia .. I missed this. The visit went ok, it was a bit stressful and I didn't get much reading done. The house is quite small so five extra people in it made it seem crowded :blush2: It is done however and probably won't have to be done again for ages :D hoorah!!

Hope the next read-a-thon works out well for everyone :smile: I don't know how much time I can commit .. being December and all .. maybe I'll be super organised by then :giggle2: yep I've got a couple of weeks to sort it all out :grinhat:  

Sorry Gaia .. I missed this. The visit went ok, it was a bit stressful and I didn't get much reading done. The house is quite small so five extra people in it made it seem crowded :blush2: It is done however and probably won't have to be done again for ages :D hoorah!!

Hope the next read-a-thon works out well for everyone :smile: I don't know how much time I can commit .. being December and all .. maybe I'll be super organised by then :giggle2: yep I've got a couple of weeks to sort it all out :grinhat:  

x

I'm glad it went ok, and that it doesn't need to happen for a while now :).

I understand that, I think more people will have that. I hope you can join the next time but you have to see how busy you are. The last thing I want is to stress you out even more :hug:.

My grandma's birthday falls in the read-a-thon weekend, but I don't know yet what she'll be doing. Depending on how many people come I'll either go or not go (I don't even know when she's celebrating it though presumably in that weekend). I'll definitely bring a book or some books with me if I go, normally when I go to see my grandparents I spend a bit of time with them and other family and then go upstairs and get some rest (sometimes reading a book, if I feel up for it). I should be able to participate the other two days though at least, depending on my tiredness. I'm hoping to get some more reading done, last time was a fail for me (I didn't enjoy it) and my reading has been a little slow lately with me reading a Charles Dickens book. I'm particularly looking forward to re-reading the next Harry Potter book, the rest of the books I picked will probably be nice too though, just that I'm mostly looking forward to the third HP book.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else doing the read-a-thon the upcoming days (6th 7th 8th December)? I plan to participate, though it'll depend on my tiredness how much I'll be able to read. I realise December is a busy month, maybe it'll be just me read-a-thon-ing this time :unsure:.

Anyone else doing the read-a-thon the upcoming days (6th 7th 8th December)? I plan to participate, though it'll depend on my tiredness how much I'll be able to read. I realise December is a busy month, maybe it'll be just me read-a-thon-ing this time :unsure:.

I hope you'll be as good as candy and not tired at all :)

I will participate if I can get my mojo going... I think it's going to be a slow weekend, the Finnish Independence day is on Friday so all the places are closed and it's just perfect for a quiet night and a bit of reading :) Maybe I'll read The Unknown Soldier...

I hope you'll be as good as candy and not tired at all :)

I will participate if I can get my mojo going... I think it's going to be a slow weekend, the Finnish Independence day is on Friday so all the places are closed and it's just perfect for a quiet night and a bit of reading :) Maybe I'll read The Unknown Soldier...

x

I hope your mojo will be good :) It sounds like a good time to have a quiet night and read. I hope you can join me :friends3:. I looked up The Unknown Soldier, it sounds like an interesting read. Have you read it before? (if you've talked about this in another thread, sorry :blush:. My memory is bad lately.).