Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

After getting home from work at 8am I've slept until 2pm. Hopefully I will finish the last 80 pages or so of Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton this afternoon and then on to something a little more stimulating.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this, Brian.

I won't really be able to participate this weekend. I'm visiting my parents so I've been spending time with them and catching up on sleep. But I enjoy reading everyone's progress. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice progress, everyone :)!

Yesterday I didn't spend that much time reading, because I did other things (swimming..)

I read:

Maeve Binchy - Full House (QuickReads)

50 mins, 117 pages

Roald Dahl - James and the Giant Peach

1 h, 156 pages

Nagaru Tanigawa and Noizi Ito - The Misfortune of Kyon and Koizumi

30 mins, 160 pages

Total: 2 h 20 mins, 433 pages

EDIT: Kylie, maybe next time :).

Edited by Athena

I'm taking a quick break, so thought I would update on day 2. I'm up to page 231 of 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach making a total page count 129 pages read so far today and 145 pages overall. I'm very disappointed with this book and am not entirely enjoying it. The film was much better. I will finish this though.

^ Ooh beautiful picture, chesil! :smile2:

Saturday: Rest of A Stranger in the Family: 55 pages

Total so far: 137 pages

Next task: Find a suitable next read! Might prove to be a bit tricky, trying to be very lax and zen about it... *whistles*

Thanks!  I had to kill sometime waiting for the art gallery to open at 11am, but fortunately their cafe opened at 10am, so coffee, a slice of carrot and walnut cake, and a book certainly helped pass the time. :D

Day 2 update - part 2, lunchtime:

Greenery Street by Denis Mackail

17.25 minutes - 26 pages

Edited by chesilbeach

Ooh Claire .. what a co-incidence :D

No actually, it's all your fault .. I wasn't even contemplating cake til I saw your pic ;)

Read a further 95 pages of Greenery Street .. in three seperate sittings (adding up to one and a half hours). Hopefully I can read some more later :)

post-5612-0-74136900-1375546365_thumb.jpg

No actually, it's all your fault .. I wasn't even contemplating cake til I saw your pic ;)

I didn't read that very orderly and I thought you meant you hadn't even contemplated on taking pictures until chesil did it, and then I looked at the pic and thought goodness me, I knew they were reading the same book, but to think they have the same kind of bookmark, cuppa and cake ... :o

:lol:

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this, Brian.

I won't really be able to participate this weekend. I'm visiting my parents so I've been spending time with them and catching up on sleep. But I enjoy reading everyone's progress. :)

You can find my review of it Here.

I'm taking a quick break, so thought I would update on day 2. I'm up to page 231 of 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach making a total page count 129 pages read so far today and 145 pages overall. I'm very disappointed with this book and am not entirely enjoying it. The film was much better. I will finish this though.

Total of pages read so far:

Friday:

The last 16 pages of 'The World According to Bertie' by Alexander McCall Smith

'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach'- Currently 101 Pages

Total Page count: 117 Pages

Saturday:

'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach' 179 pages (Completed)

'Shutter Island' by Dennis Lehane 60 Pages

Total Page count: 239

Final update for today:

Day 2 update - part 3, afternoon/evening:

16:48 minutes - 18 pages
32:22 minutes - 30 pages

So I'm up to page 250 now.

Read a further 95 pages of Greenery Street .. in three seperate sittings (adding up to one and a half hours). Hopefully I can read some more later :)

That's fine, I'll take the blame - most things are usually my fault, so why not add this to the list! :giggle2:

How are you liking Greenery Street so far?  It was a bit of a slow starter for me, but I'm enjoying it immensely now - such a different world from today though! :D

Edited by chesilbeach

So far I have read for about 2 and a half hours over yesterday and today. Nearly 100 pages read of Les Miserables

I'm going to start reading now and will probably read for the next 3-5 hours as long as I don't get to distracted  :D

PS. you guys are all doing great and making me look like a chump  :giggle2:

So far I've read 3 books

1, 3hrs 40 for 132 Pages
2, 2hrs 48 for 129 Pages
3, 6hrs. for 437 Pages

I'm not doing as well as last time.

12hrs 28, 698 Pages and that's probably all.

Edited by dex

Yesterday I read 93 pages in Anna Sewell - Black Beauty, total time 1h 20 mins. That's less than what I read on some 'normal' days. I spent a lot of time with holiday preparations, swimming, cooking, spending time with my brother (and with my boyfriend, but that's usually a given when he's here :P)..

I don't expect to be reading a lot today, I'm trying to mainly rest. But who knows :shrug:.

The most important thing is that to have fun in your holidays, imo.

Day 3 update - part 1, morning:

I've been a taxi service for OH this morning, so have snatched whatever time I could while sat in the car waiting, so don't have times to put against it, but based on previous pages per minute, I'm guessing about 45 mins.

approx. 45 minutes - 45 pages

All done for today, so should be able to spend most of the afternoon reading, so looking forward to the last session with Greenery Street and starting something new. :smile2:

I finished reading Black Beauty, pages 96-201, total time: 1 h 20 mins.

Totals for the three days (so far at least):

Books read: 4

Pages: 634

Time read: 5 hours

It's not a lot for me to be honest, but I've been busy with other (also fun) things :).

Total reading time is up to about 6 hours maybe a little more. 

I finished reading The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (221 pages read)

I read a little more of Les Miserables (about 50 pages read)

Total pages: 371

Hoping to read another 100 pages at lest of Les Miserables. 

How are you liking Greenery Street so far?  It was a bit of a slow starter for me, but I'm enjoying it immensely now - such a different world from today though! :D

I'm enjoying it Claire :) Like you, it took me a while to get into it but I'm loving it now. I do love Persephone stories .. I haven't read a bad one yet and they constantly make you smile :) You're doing very well .. what did you make of Lady into Fox? .. odd wasn't it? :D

Have read a little more today .. am now on page 244 which isn't brilliant but better than I expected :) Hope to finish it later.

Well done everyone :)

I'm enjoying it Claire :) Like you, it took me a while to get into it but I'm loving it now. I do love Persephone stories .. I haven't read a bad one yet and they constantly make you smile :) You're doing very well .. what did you make of Lady into Fox? .. odd wasn't it?  :D

I agree, another Persephone and another great read. :smile2:

Lady Into Fox was really interesting, and I'm glad I read it in one setting, as it felt like reading a fable or a fairy story. I was surprised how quickly the story got going, it was like you were dropped right into it straight away, and I was quite shocked at the ending, but it did fit with the rest of the story. I'm not sure I'd read it again, but it was unique and very well written, and I'd recommend it to people who enjoy short stories.