Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a better reading day today. I've managed to read 129 more pages of '44 Scotland Street'. So I'm up to page 176 in the book. I love the observations of people in this book and the gentle humour.

I'm off out in a bit, so I'm not going to get much more reading done today. However, I will spend the whole day reading tomorrow.

I read a further 73 pages of The Journal of Dora Damage last night before going to sleep .. it took me an hour and a half so my reading rate definitely decreases as the day goes on :D

Today I've read 118 pages of Going Solo by Roald Dahl and a further 207 pages of The Journal of Dora Damage by Belinda Starling. Tried to read out in the garden but it was so hot I couldn't concentrate .. also had more than one eye on Wimbledon and the ladies final in particular. Total reading time was approx 7 hours and 20 mins so should have been able to read about 440 pages but only read 325. Again, I'll probably read a bit more before bedtime.

Tomorrow might be more difficult, we're going out hopefully in the morning and then there's the Wimbledon men's final :wibbly: Hope to at least finish off both books and maybe start another :)   

I finished the Cassandra Clare early this morning, so am just having a rummage on my kindle for my next book for today. I am not logging hours spent, I am just enjoying being immersed in the reading.

I had hoped (fervently) that joining the read-a-thon might jump start my reading, and as I am desperate to be done on here so I can get on with it, I think my hoping has paid off! :giggle2:

Enjoying reading how everyone else is doing. :smile:  :readingtwo:

I'm up to page 215 of '44 Scotland Street', so I'm making steady progress. I'm hoping to finish this before the read-a-thon is over. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of this series.

Today I've read Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, I'm about half way through I think. It's really enjoyable so far. In a few days, after I've finished reading it, we'll watch Blade Runner.

To keep things ticking along I opted for a couple of short kindle reads; 'A Textbook Case' by Jeffrey Deaver and 'The Blessing Of Brokenness' by Karin Slaughter. Next up is a short story collection by Jeffery Deaver - 'Triple Threat'. :smile: 

I've just finished The Journal of Dora Damage, so that's 445 pages for me this weekend.  Unfortunate timing, in that the tennis interrupted a lot of my reading time, but I've enjoyed reading this book, although I don't think I really read the blurb when I bought it, and I had no idea what it was going to be about when I started reading it!

I've just finished The Journal of Dora Damage, so that's 445 pages for me this weekend.  Unfortunate timing, in that the tennis interrupted a lot of my reading time, but I've enjoyed reading this book, although I don't think I really read the blurb when I bought it, and I had no idea what it was going to be about when I started reading it!

Haha .. it caught me out a bit too Claire :blush2:

Didn't think I'd get much time for reading today but woke up early so was able to finish Going Solo and The Journal of Dora Damage. This afternoon and evening (the bits that didn't involve me yelling at the TV during the Wimbledon final  :D) I've been reading The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summerscale and will finish it before bedtime hopefully. I'll calculate my statistics tomorrow (as in reading .. not as in vital .. I'm not that brave :D) but I'm happy overall :smile: I had a glass of champagne this afternoon so I'm surprised anything got done at all  :D Well done everyone xx

Great progress! :)

Yesterday evening I read some more in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and have nearly finished the book. Hopefully in the next read-a-thon (in August) I can participate more fully.

EDIT: In total I read 5 books (one of which was nearly finished). The total amount of pages is roughly 575 (I didn't keep track of where exactly I started and left off), I don't know the total amount of time I spent reading (not nearly as much as last time). I still enjoyed it, though.

Edited by Athena

Really enjoyed taking part this weekend :) Hope everyone else did too.

Friday: Finished off reading Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (85 pages), read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (123 pages inc intro) and started The Journal of Dora Damage by Belinda Starling (175 pages)  

Saturday: Continued on with The Journal of Dora Damage (207 pages) and started Going Solo by Roald Dahl (187 pages)

Sunday: Finished The Journal of Dora Damage (70 pages) and Going Solo (23 pages) and read The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summerscale (248 pages)

so that's a total of 1118 pages in something approaching 21 hours .. that's more than I was thinking I'd get time for so I'm happy .. though some of that was due to sleeping poorly (but hey .. at least there was a purpose to being awake .. I didn't just go and watch an old episode of Bake-Off :D) and in the evenings .. when it got cool in the garden it was nice just to sit out on the lounger and read.

:thankyousigna2: Poppyshake, I don't really have any distractions. I used my stopwatch and if I felt Like putting the book down I did and stopped the watch. :coffee1::character0104: I found reading the novels this time was a lot better than the short stories. I did take more breaks during the third book, so it was more like 30 minute sections.

Again this has coincided with time off work i.e M &T so I still get to relax, I did go out friday and saturday for a couple of hours and sunday I did my shopping. I'm not sure if the next one falls the same , I'm pretty sure september's doesn't. 5,6 aug 2,3 sep. I just went down the yearly planner.

Edited by dex

Wow, you guys got through loads of reading, it seems my total of 380 pages seems paltry in comparison. Being at work for 2 of the days didn't help I guess :P

The 263 pages I managed to read over the weekend seems paltry too Brian. Although I have to say that my weekend was unusually busy! Hopefuly on the next read-a-thon, I can get some more reading done.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try my Matthew Scudder - Lawrence Block Trilogy, That's the Plan. I'm considering using it as an opportunity to re-read my connelly and jardine or clancy. I could always try the holmes challenges I own the omnibus book containing the stories and novels.

Edited by dex

Wow, you guys got through loads of reading, it seems my total of 380 pages seems paltry in comparison. Being at work for 2 of the days didn't help I guess :P

I wasn't even working at the time, and I still did as 'badly' as you did ... :lol: I just didn't have it in me! And I was poor at keeping record, too...

I'm really impressed and inspired by the people on here who did better, though. And it's amazing that some of you read more than 1000 pages...! Wow! :smile2:

I hope to do a lot better next time. I wish it was here already....

So, the next read-a-thon starts a week tomorrow - anyone got any plans yet?

I'm thinking of reading Greenery Street, one of the Persephone books on my shelf, and maybe Clare Balding's My Animals and Other Family.

I'll join you in Greenery Street Claire :D I'm not sure otherwise. I'll give it some thought this week.