Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

The only real test of the readathon will be in September, When I'll have to wake up on Monday morning and go to Work. I'm pretty sure I'll read less pages.

Edited by dex

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll take part as much as possible on the next one, I am working again though  :censored:

Hmph! Have you not told them about the read-a-thons and how you'd like to not have anything scheduled for those weekends?! :banghead:

:giggle2:

I'll join you in Greenery Street Claire :D I'm not sure otherwise. I'll give it some thought this week.

I like it that you two are reading the same book during the next marathon! It would be nice to do that myself, some time...

The only real test of the readathon will be in September, When I'll have to wake up on Monday morning and go to Work. I'm pretty sure I'll read less pages.

You've done so well the last two marathons that I think this was bound to happen. You read so much during the last two! :)

I like it that you two are reading the same book during the next marathon! It would be nice to do that myself, some time...

It was especially interesting last time, as it was a book we both might have given up on if we hadn't been reading together! It would be lovely if we could organise a joint read in future. :smile2:

I don't plan on participating fully, I'll be busy with certain other things (preparations for the holidays). I don't want to start any big book before I go on holidays unless I can finish it before I leave (I don't want to be taking half a read book with me). But I might read some shorter books, I don't know yet. I should be able to participate more fully in September, however there is a book fair then which I really want to go to XD, but I don't know yet which day I'll go.

I think it's great you two are reading the same book, that sounds very nice :).

I have tried but to no avail.

I hope you complained about it to the union!

It was especially interesting last time, as it was a book we both might have given up on if we hadn't been reading together! It would be lovely if we could organise a joint read in future. :smile2:

That's great, did you end up enjoying the book?  I, too, wish that maybe sometime there'd be a joint read, with more participants reading the same book... Might be a bit of a pickle, though, us all having such different tastes...

I don't plan on participating fully, I'll be busy with certain other things (preparations for the holidays). I don't want to start any big book before I go on holidays unless I can finish it before I leave (I don't want to be taking half a read book with me). But I might read some shorter books, I don't know yet. I should be able to participate more fully in September, however there is a book fair then which I really want to go to XD, but I don't know yet which day I'll go.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying having to take a book with you when you've already read half of it. But maybe something shorter would do :) Enjoy the preparations, it's always fun, I think preparations and dreaming about the hols is half the fun :)

So, the next read-a-thon starts a week tomorrow - anyone got any plans yet?

I'm thinking of reading Greenery Street, one of the Persephone books on my shelf, and maybe Clare Balding's My Animals and Other Family.

I'm definitely going to participate in the next read-a-thon fully this time. Although I can't quite decide what to read. I could have a read-a-thon on stephen King marathon, Charles Dickens, or Steig Larsson....or try and finish as much of 'Vanity Fair' by William Makepeace Thackeray as I can in the 3 days.

As per usual, I've picked one Roald Dahl book to read during this read-a-thon, I picked James and the Giant Peach. I read this one when I was a child and it's one of the ones that are a bit longer (about 100ish pages I think). I also picked a classic to maybe read during the read-a-thon: Anna Sewell - Black Beauty. Other than that there's still quite some books left from previous piles I made (some I discarded for now and put back on their shelves). I plan to also read a QuickReads, I recently bought a few more of those though I haven't quite decided which one of the QuickReads I'll read. I don't want to start reading a big paper book just before my holidays (I'm bringing my Kindle and no paper books) so I want to try and pick shorter reads.

The current plan is to participate Friday at least, then see how much time I have on Saturday and Sunday. I'll need to make holiday preparations, look things up, print things, think about packing, etc (I'm one of those people who prefer to do it sooner rather than at the latest possibility). If there's time and energy left after that and my boyfriend wants to do something on his own (rather than doing something together), then I could read during that time.

Has anyone else decided yet what they'll read?

So.. the dates are 2/3/4 this month. I'll participate I think, this time around.. been on more of a reading slump this month and I need to get a fair few finished before my holiday (can't take that many 'tree books' with me). My flight is August 9 so this read-a-thon will probably just about work out perfectly.

That's great, did you end up enjoying the book?  I, too, wish that maybe sometime there'd be a joint read, with more participants reading the same book... Might be a bit of a pickle, though, us all having such different tastes...

We both felt exactly the same about the book .. inasmuch as we liked it .. but were also grossed out by it. As Claire said, we may well have stopped reading it had it not been a joint read-a-thon book .. we drew strength from each other I think :D

My reading mojo isn't what it was (how can it be here one minute and gone the next!!??) plus I have relatives coming this weekend (and I suppose I'll have to talk to them ;)  :D) .. but only for a part of it so hopefully I can still find the time and inclination to read. I fully intend to make a start at least on Greenery Street .. again along with Claire. I'm pretty sure we won't be led down the garden path to depravity this time but of course, you never know :D

If you feel like doing joint reads, then maybe you should suggest genre or author by IM, but if you take it to a vote stage then I think you would be Taking Over The Thread. I'll try a book if suggested on my thread, probably not a Classic or Jayne Ayre or country novel. Fantasy wise it would probably have to be a one off.

If this is happening this weekend I am totally joining! Other than a few chores, church, and meals I should be able to read all three of these days. 

I plan to finish as much of Les Miserables that I can because I'm leaving for school soon and it's on my dad's kindle, maybe finish The Best of Me and start into The Scarlet Letter. I might add in some poetry and short story or two as well. 

VERY EXCITED!!  :hyper:

After getting home from work at 8am I've slept until 2pm. Hopefully I will finish the last 80 pages or so of Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton this afternoon and then on to something a little more stimulating.

I had 10 minutes to spare before work this morning, and stopped for a coffee and a read while out, so my status so far is ...

Started Greenery Street by Denis Mackail

10:58 minutes - 11 pages

13:07 minutes - 13 pages

More organised this time around, and thought I'd try out the stopwatch on my phone! :D

So far I've managed to read:

The last 16 pages of 'The World According to Bertie' by Alexander McCall Smith

Currently on page 54 of 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach

I'm not timing myself, so I don't know how much time this constitutes, but making ok progress.

18:00 Friday Go!

The Matthew Scudder Series

1 The Sins Of The Fathers 132 pages, 42 lines per page.

Reading Time: 3 hrs 40, I enjoyed it and hope I can read the next one a bit faster.

Saturday

2 In The Midst Of Death 129 pages, 42 lines per page.

Reading Time: 2hrs 48, It was okay,

They both took me longer to read than expected.

I'm thinking of trying something else now.

3 The Bricklayer - Noah Boyd 437 pages, 29 lines per page.

1 hr to 71, 1hr to 160, 1hr to 228. 1hr to 293,

I'm not reading as fast as I did in the readathon last time and I started later.

Sunday

1 hr to 363, 1hr to 437. Finish app. 70 pages p/hr 6 hrs.

4 Last Chance To Die - Noah Boyd 391 pages, 31 lines per page.

Edited by dex

I'm not timing myself, so I don't know how much time this constitutes, but making ok progress.

Well done - a great start!

18:00 Friday Go!

Good luck!

I can now add some more to my scores on the doors ...

Time - 01:13:53 - 74 pages, so I'm now up to page 98. :smile2:

It's been a TV series day for me, but I'll be going to bed now and see if I can get some reading done. It would be nice if I got into the mood and read the whole weekend through :)

Good luck everyone, still two more days to go! :)

I didn't think I'd have much time for reading today but I managed to finish The Knot (187 pages in approx 2 hours and 42 mins) which is not bad considering I was having trouble picking up a book at the beginning of the week. Have got limited time over the weekend but intend to join Claire in Greenery Street :)

I'm not recording the time I spend on reading this time round, because my mojo's wavering as it is, but I'll try and do a page count at least.

Friday: A Stranger in the Family by Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith (re-read): 82 pages.

Hoping to finish the book today and read something else. (I was supposed to go to this 90s themed party at a club tonight but I'm thinking I don't feel like going, and could try and read instead.)

Morning! So day 1's total looks like this:

'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' by Deborah Moggach'- Currently 101 Pages

Total Page count: 117 Pages

Let's see what day two brings! I'm hoping to finish 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' and to start something else today.