Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Wow Julie, those sound like some interesting experiences :). We don't really have things like that nearby here, that I know of (then again, if we did it'd be too tiring for me to participate most likely).

Well for me I choose a bunch of books, usually one QuickReads, one Roald Dahl, one detective, sometimes a manga, a short story collection. Btw my Kindle isn't on that photo but I plan on reading a short book on there too. I try to read books that I don't normally read much. I normally read bigger books so I try to go for shorter reads, making it feel like I'm progressing more as well. With the short books, I normally read them one after another. I have tried before with longer books, ie. in my first read-a-thon I was reading a big book, then I switched it up with shorter books. I haven't yet decided if I'll also be reading a bit in IT, which is the (big) book I'm reading at the moment. Everybody does it differently, I think most just pick one or two books they feel like reading and read those. I find that with big epic stories I can't read too much of it too quickly, my brain needs time to process plot twists etc. So I try to pick shorter, less epic books so that I can read for longer, in these weekends.

Personally I record my reading time and pages (ie. 10:00-10:30 30 pages Author - Title), and I tally it up at the end of the day (or beginning of next day, sometimes at the end of the weekend). I also take the time to quickly write down what I thought of a book, so I can more easily write a review later.

We all log different things (some others also do time and pages), so it's up to you what you want to do :).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Argh! You're right - when did that sneak up on us??? :D

I don't know! :D I was just doing the dishes when it hit me. And I thought I must be wrong, because no one had yet commented on the thread... so I had to go and check the calendar :D

I won't be participating - again - sorry! 

I've been out all day today - tomorrow we're going to visit Kay and Alan (thus preventing Kay from reading as part of this tomorrow :o ) and then Sunday we're out to lunch and then my choir are singing in the late afternoon/evening.  

Maybe November...!

I won't be participating - again - sorry! 

I've been out all day today - tomorrow we're going to visit Kay and Alan (thus preventing Kay from reading as part of this tomorrow :o ) and then Sunday we're out to lunch and then my choir are singing in the late afternoon/evening.  

Maybe November...!

Kay is very happy to be prevented from reading by you coming to lunch :friends0: 

I may be able to read on Sunday .. not sure yet but hopefully, as Janet says, November will work out well :smile: (November though :o  :o  :o .. how did that get here so soon? .. well, it's not here yet obviously but how did it end up just around the corner? :o) :coolsnow: 

I'm going to start the third Vera book later on, I'll try and finish the two of them, but who knows.

I only read about 50 pages yesterday and so far today I've read about 70 so 120 pages in about 2.5 hours of reading.

Edited by dex

I have a free weekend, woohoo! I won't be reading *all* weekend, because I desperately need to catch up on some sleep and housework, but I'm definitely going to be part of this! :D

Wohoo! :D So glad you will be able to join us! :)

I only read about 20 pages today, I had to go to town and do stuff and all. I'm hoping to read a lot more tomorrow, and Sunday as well.

I have a free weekend, woohoo! I won't be reading *all* weekend, because I desperately need to catch up on some sleep and housework, but I'm definitely going to be part of this! :D

x

Yay!!

I only read about 20 pages today, I had to go to town and do stuff and all. I'm hoping to read a lot more tomorrow, and Sunday as well.

x

Sorry to hear you didn't get so far. I hope you read more today and tomorrow :)!

Ann Cleeves - Hidden Depths (Vera Book 3) 371 pages

'Julie stumbled from the taxi and watched it drive away.'

x

Nice progress, Dex :)!

On yesterday I read:

Friday 04-10-2013:

35 mins, 90 pages, Veronica Henry - A Sea Change

1 h, 198 pages, Roald Dahl - The BFG (re-read)

1 h, 155 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 3: The Truth About Stacey (re-read)

30 mins, ~100%, 45 pages, Michelle Stewart - Declutter Your Life: Reduce Stress, Increase Productivity, and Enjoy Your Clutter-Free Life

45 mins, 159 pages, R. L. Stine - Fear Street 49: Verblind (English: Into the Dark) (re-read)

1 h 5 mins, 90 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 1: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (re-read)

Overall statistics for Friday:

Total Reading Time: ~5 h

Total Amount of Pages: 737

Wow, I thought I'd read 300 pages.. didn't think it'd be this much! I picked quite a few re-reads this time. Some of them I've read before in Dutch but not in English, with others I read it again in the same language I originally read it in. I plan to finish Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone today as well as read more other books (from the pile I showed before). I'll have to see how far I get (because of tiredness..).

Oof, that`s a whole lot of reading, Athena. Well done. :readingtwo:

I read most of my newspaper backlog ( just have two weekend magazines to read now, plus anything new from this weekend ). There were a couple of author interview which I liked - Jung Chang and Margaret Atwood.

Last night, I read from pages 265 - 419 of Silent in the Grave : Deanna Raybourn. :smile:   ( That`s 154 pages ).

Well done Athena for reading737 pages and Little Pixie for reading 154 pages.

I've only managed 224/371 pages and the more I try to read the longer the book seems to get. It,s just not happening this time.

Edited by dex

Well done Little Pixie!

@ dex and Little Pixie

Yesterday I read:

Saturday 05-10-2013:

1h 20 mins, 133 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 1: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (re-read)

50 mins, 494 pages, Thomas R. Hart and Sean Lam - It Takes a Wizard (Complete Saga)

1 h, 137 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 65: De Cock En De Dartele Weduwe

Overall statistics for Saturday:

Total Reading Time: 3h 10 mins

Total Amount of Pages: 764

Not bad, though I didn't spend as much time reading as on Friday (still pretty nice though). I spend some time with my family, on this forum, watched a few YouTube videos, went for a walk..

I'm really enjoying making my way through my pile, reading and re-reading books. It's been great to re-read some books that I read when I was younger (ie. Harry Potter), and it's been good to mix up the Dutch and English. There'll be more on each individual book in the reviews I'll write. It's strange, on Friday morning I didn't really feel like doing the read-a-thon (somehow I wasn't so excited about it), but after I started reading I've been really enjoying it :D. It's been great reading some different kinds of books compared with what I normally read, and the re-reads make it easier for my mind to keep up (since I've read the story several times before). This also takes me back to when I was a child and could read several (mainly children's) books per day. It's also good to feel the progress whereas when I'm just reading one big book (IT for example), progress can feel a bit slow sometimes (I mean, you feel like you've been reading for a while but there's still a lot of the book to go, the book's by no means waffling on or anything! It's all interesting. I do enjoy reading a big, epic book now and then!). Because of my pile, I haven't spend a lot of time picking what I wanted, because I'd done that beforehand. I started at the top of the pile and have been working my way down, though I did switch a few books around because I felt more like them at the time. I hope to get some more reading done today.

Edited by Athena

Well done Athena for reading737 pages and Little Pixie for reading 154 pages.

I've only managed 224/371 pages and the more I try to read the longer the book seems to get. It,s just not happening this time.

Thank you. :D

Wow, you`ve read lots too. :smile:

I read from pages 420- 434 yesterday of Silent in the Grave - a grand total of 15 pages for the day. I blame watching Young Montalbano on TV. ;)

Today I read:

Sunday 06-10-2013:

3 h 30 mins, 245 pages, Arthur C. Clarke - The Other Side of the Sky (re-read)

1 h 45 mins, 157 pages, Carry Slee - Afblijven (Film Editie) (re-read, minus the film tie-in)

Overall statistics for Sunday:

Total Reading Time: 5 h 15 mins

Total Amount of Pages: 402

Overall statistics:

Amount of Books finished: 10

Amount of Books unfinished: 0 (minus IT but I didn't read in it for this read-a-thon so it doesn't count.)

Total Reading Time: 13 h 25 mins

Total Amount of Pages: ~1903

Wow! It felt like I didn't read much today, but it turns out I was reading for a while! Pages per hour was perhaps slower than my average but I'm very happy with my overall statistics. I didn't really think I'd be reading this much, in total! Overall I had a lot of fun! Today things went a little slower because I briefly wrote down after each short story in the Arthur C. Clarke book, what I thought of it and what it was about, to help me write a review tomorrow. I had a lot of fun this weekend, I've read and re-read some great books. I think I enjoyed the Harry Potter book the most, it gave me great memories of when I first read it for English class. But all of it was pretty good, some more than others. I read quite a few children's books this time, and quite a few re-reads.

How did it go for everyone else? I had lots of fun :readingtwo:.

Well done everyone! :)

I didn't have much time to read yesterday, and today I got a migraine or something, my vision got a bit funny and had a headache, so had to sit in the dark and couldn't read. I'd planned to read the whole evening :D Luckily I'm feeling better now.

Waiting for the next one... :lol:

Well done everyone! :)

Yes well done .. jolly good show everyone :clapping: 

I didn't have much time to read yesterday, and today I got a migraine or something, my vision got a bit funny and had a headache, so had to sit in the dark and couldn't read. I'd planned to read the whole evening

Awww :(:empathy:

:D Luckily I'm feeling better now.

Yay!! :boogie:

Waiting for the next one... :lol:

Me too. I couldn't take part last month either so really hope I can participate next time. I did read today very briefly .. but only managed 40 pages :blush2: (of The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper) still .. fingers crossed for next time.

I didn't have much time to read yesterday, and today I got a migraine or something, my vision got a bit funny and had a headache, so had to sit in the dark and couldn't read. I'd planned to read the whole evening :D Luckily I'm feeling better now.

x

Awww :(, I'm glad you feel better now. 

Me too. I couldn't take part last month either so really hope I can participate next time. I did read today very briefly .. but only managed 40 pages :blush2: (of The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper) still .. fingers crossed for next time.

x

I hope you can participate next time :)

I didn't read anywhere near as much as Athena(!), but I'm happy with how much I read.

I finished Inkheart in the early hours of this morning.

x

I'm glad you had fun reading Inkheart :).