Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I hope your mojo will be good :) It sounds like a good time to have a quiet night and read. I hope you can join me :friends3:. I looked up The Unknown Soldier, it sounds like an interesting read. Have you read it before? (if you've talked about this in another thread, sorry :blush:. My memory is bad lately.).

I've read it once before, it's quite the Finnish classic, the movie version's always on TV on Independence Day. I've never watched it, and I thought the book would be boring, too, but it was actually very good :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read it once before, it's quite the Finnish classic, the movie version's always on TV on Independence Day. I've never watched it, and I thought the book would be boring, too, but it was actually very good :)

x

That's good to hear :)!

Ooh, that would be a good idea to get some 'quality time' for reading :smile: . I have read a few chapters of Chekhov's The Shooting Party, but that's three weeks to achieve that :blush2:  s, I can't really get into the book yet.

I'm not sure how much time I will be able to dedicate to reading this weekend, but if I do read it will probably be The Fault in Our Stars and I will either start the Divergent series or read A Game of Thrones

Ooh, that would be a good idea to get some 'quality time' for reading :smile: . I have read a few chapters of Chekhov's The Shooting Party, but that's three weeks to achieve that :blush2:  s, I can't really get into the book yet.

x

I hope you can join us! Normally I read different, easier to read books for the read-a-thon, because I find this easier on my brain. You're welcome to read whichever book(s) you feel like. I hope you get on better with the book soon! 

I'm not sure how much time I will be able to dedicate to reading this weekend, but if I do read it will probably be The Fault in Our Stars and I will either start the Divergent series or read A Game of Thrones

x

I really liked The Fault in Our Stars and A Game of Thrones. I haven't yet started the Divergent series. I hope you enjoy the one you choose to read (if you have some time to read) :)!

x

I hope you can join us! Normally I read different, easier to read books for the read-a-thon, because I find this easier on my brain. You're welcome to read whichever book(s) you feel like. I hope you get on better with the book soon! 

x x

I really liked The Fault in Our Stars and A Game of Thrones. I haven't yet started the Divergent series. I hope you enjoy the one you choose to read (if you have some time to read) :)!

Thanks xx :smile: . I need to concentrate on that book, rather than flitting around from a handful I'm reading at the moment. Let's see how it goes *fingers being crossed* :smile:

I had to finish typing up my assignment this morning but despite that I still managed to get in about 3 hours of reading. I finished reading Broken April by Ismail Kadare and I get to tick off a few things with this book. The author is Albanian so I get another country completed in my world marathon and it is also featured in the 1001 Book to Read Before You Die list.

I'll probably read for another hour tonight before I go to sleep but I don't know what I'll delve into just yet.

Well, time went  slightly weird yesterday, and after I intended to take a lot of time reading, I only managed to read two hours on The Shooting Party.Never mind, I have more free time today to spend time on the book, which is really enjoyable now.

Everyone seems to have had at least a few hours of reading done... Apart from Schultz, ouch! Concussion can't be nice... :(:empathy:

I started reading an Astrid Lindgren book last night. I read 27 pages, which is a lot for me these days, with wack mojo... :rolleyes: I'll see if the luck continues later on.

Note: due to the amount of emoticons I've removed some from the quotes, otherwise the forum wouldn't let me post.

x

Sadly I doubt I will be doing any reading this weekend because I'm 95% sure that I have a concussion

x

Awwww :(. I hope you feel better soon. My sister had a concussion once, it sounded very unpleasant and terrible to have.

Well, time went  slightly weird yesterday, and after I intended to take a lot of time reading, I only managed to read two hours on The Shooting Party.Never mind, I have more free time today to spend time on the book, which is really enjoyable now.

x

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your book :)!

I`m in !  Belatedly.

I read 248 pages yesterday of A Noble Radiance - Donna Leon, which finished the book off.

Haven`t picked today`s yet, but must get my reading-proper-books mojo back ( I`ve been reading papers and magazines lately ). :smile:

x

Yay! 

Everyone seems to have had at least a few hours of reading done... Apart from Schultz, ouch! Concussion can't be nice... :(:empathy:

I started reading an Astrid Lindgren book last night. I read 27 pages, which is a lot for me these days, with wack mojo... :rolleyes: I'll see if the luck continues later on.

x

I hope your mojo will be good :empathy:. Which book is it? 

I've probably only managed about 2 hours reading this afternoon but its been a good book - World War Z by Max Brooks.

x

I'm glad you're enjoying World War Z, I've heard good things about it. 

Edit: Where's Athena, she hasn't mentioned her own progress! :)

x

I was tired yesterday so I didn't use the computer. It's nice to hear someone missed me :). Here's my progress:

Friday 6 December 2013

45 mins, 107 pages, Ian Rankin - A Cool Head

60 mins, 190 pages, Roald Dahl - Charlie Bucket 2: Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

50 mins, 136 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 7: Claudia and Mean Janine

15 mins, 20 pages, A. C. Baantjer - De Cock 2: De Cock en de Wurger op Zondag

Total: 2 hours 50 mins, 453 pages

Saturday 7 December 2013

40 mins, 75 pages, A. C. Baantjer - De Cock 2: De Cock en de Wurger op Zondag

40 mins, 79 pages, Dirk van Weelden - Literair Overleven

45 mins, 142 pages, Matt Groening and Others - The Simpsons Holiday Humdinger

30 mins, 48 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 3: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Total: 2 hours 35 mins, 344 pages

I read quite a few pages by the looks of it but didn't spend a lot of time reading. It felt like longer to be honest. I was also tired and kept stopping and starting and resting. I've read most of the books I planned to read, other than the third Harry Potter book, which I hope to be finishing today (then the pile is done). It was a modest pile but I've not been feeling so well lately so I think that's probably a good thing (or I might've gotten frustrated).

I hope you all can get some nice reading in today and that you have fun :)!

Managed to read 3 hours yesterday, 2 hours this afternoon (but nodded off once or twice, side effect of a nice lunch  :smile: ). Hope to spent most of the evening reading. The Shooting Party is a sheer joy to read, which helps.

Sounds good, Marie :)!

I read:

Sunday 8 December 2013

1h 40 mins, 151 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 3: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

My mojo wasn't really feeling it for most of the day.

Totals:

7 h 5 mins

948 pages

I finished 5 books and am 2/3rds of a 6th. I got through most of my pile. My mojo wasn't too interested some of the time, it seemed to be hiding :hide:.

How did the rest of you do on the Sunday?

(The next read-a-thon will be in the next year, 4-5-6th of January.)

I once again found out about this too late, but it's nice to see what everyone is reading :)

It's always the first full weekend of a month. And like Athena posted above, next time it's 4.-6.1.2014. I hope you are able to join us next time! :)

Athena, great progress :D You do so well each time... :)

Athena, the book I was reading was an Astrid Lindgren book. I think it's called Six Bullerby Children in English.

I also read about 50 pages of Marley & Me during the weekend. That's quite a lot for me these days, but rather poor in comparison :lol:

Athena, great progress :D You do so well each time... :)

Athena, the book I was reading was an Astrid Lindgren book. I think it's called Six Bullerby Children in English.

I also read about 50 pages of Marley & Me during the weekend. That's quite a lot for me these days, but rather poor in comparison :lol:

x

Ah, I haven't read that one I'm afraid.

I'm glad to hear you got on better with Marley & Me :). Yes, it might not be as many pages as I read but I think it's quite something considering your mojo hasn't been good :empathy:. I hope you'll be able to read the rest of the book in the next while and enjoy it.

Here's a letter for your mojo:

Dear Frankie's Mojo,

Don't be afraid.

Please stay.

Frankie needs you.

Best regards,

Athena

:P

I read 2 books this weekend - go me ! ;)

Friday -    A Noble Radiance - Donna Leon ......248 pages

Saturday -    Black Swan Rising - Lee Carroll ........ 223 pages

Sunday -       Black Swan Rising - Lee Carroll .........  173 pages,    Wildfire at Midnight - Mary Stewart..... first 50 pages.

Weekend total : 694 pages. 

:D

Hurray for everyone else`s totals. ;)