Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I'm going to try and participate this weekend, my partner will be away so I will need something to do to take my mind off missing him. I want to try and finish the last book in the Unwind trilogy, and start another before the weekend is out. Probably measly compared to how much the rest of you will read. :giggle2:

It's not a competition! :friends3:  It's all good fun :D

Dtrpath27, I love it that your daughter is going to take part in this, too! :D:readingtwo:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Readathon

A Clockwork Orange -Anthony Burgess, 149 Pages.

In this nightmare vision of a not-too distant future, fifteen year old Alex and his three friends rob.... for fun. Alex is jailed for his viscous crimes and the state undertakes to reform him - but how and at what cost?

I wonder if the language / writing style of this one will be be overpowering, like algernon was. :blush2:

I've read 30 Pages in just over an hour.

Edited by dex

Readathon

A Clockwork Orange -Anthony Burgess, 149 Pages.

In this nightmare vision of a not-too distant future, fifteen year old Alex and his three friends rob.... for fun. Alex is jailed for his viscous crimes and the state undertakes to reform him - but how and at what cost?

I wonder if the language / writing style of this one will be be overpowering, like algernon was.  :blush2:

I'm not sure what you mean by overpowering, but I have to say that that is one great book! It deals with some horrific things but what a powerful read.

Languagewise, there will be a lot of made up words, but you'll soon get the hang of them. :)

I'm going to try and participate this weekend, my partner will be away so I will need something to do to take my mind off missing him. I want to try and finish the last book in the Unwind trilogy, and start another before the weekend is out. Probably measly compared to how much the rest of you will read. :giggle2:

x

We love to have you with us :friends3:. As frankie said, it's not a race. We're just having fun :).

Happy Reading, everyone :readingtwo:!

I had to work all day, so I'm a bit behind schedule.  I did manage to read 35 pages of The Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd before breakfast and a chapter of The Last of the Mohicans during lunch.  I'm at home now and settling in for a night of reading!  

I had to work all day, so I'm a bit behind schedule.  I did manage to read 35 pages of The Solitary House by Lynn Shepherd before breakfast and a chapter of The Last of the Mohicans during lunch.  I'm at home now and settling in for a night of reading!

x

I hope you had fun :)!

x  

I'm 64 pages into 1492 and 330 pages into NOS4RA2.  I'd say I put in 3 hours last night and an hour and half today so far.

x

That's pretty good progress :)

This weekend is a bit busy, so I only managed about 40 pages today.

x

As long as you have fun :). What did you read?

How's your progress?

x

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Friday 07-03-2014

40 mins, 94 pages, Joanna Trollope - The Book Boy

15 mins, 57 pages, Roald Dahl - Esio Trot

50 mins, 132 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 10: Logan Likes Mary-Anne!

45 mins, 142 pages, Baantjer - Baantjer 72: De Cock en de Moord in het Circus

45 mins, 92 pages, Charles den Tex - Onmacht

15 mins, 45 pages, Jonny Zucker - Tina Topper 79: Evi - Stuntmeid!

Total: 3 h 30 mins, 562 pages

I had a lot of fun and read quite a few good short books (5.5). I thought I spent more hours reading, though.

How's your progress, Dex?

On Friday I read to Page 47 and so far on Saturday, I've read to page 68. I've finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, 149 Pages.

22,30,39,47 Friday 2 Hours

68,88,108,149 Saturday 4 1/2 Hours.

6 1/2 Hours app. 149 Pages

Edited by dex

As long as you have fun  :). What did you read?

The Hindenburg Murders.

It sounded interresting, being about the Zeppelin, but every other sentence is about how bad everybody felt about the Nazis (they were, no question, but it would be enough to say it a couple of times.)

And Hawaii by James Michener

A great book but rather complicated to read in a foreign language.

I'm sort of joining in! Working yesterday but have put in a good 90 minutes so far today on Dracula - I'd like to finish it today if I can so I can start fresh tomorrow on something else. 

Sigh...I fell asleep early last night and woke this morning with a book on my chest.  Needless to say, I didn't get as much reading done as I had hoped.  Just finished a book that I didn't enjoy at all...

On the upside, I discovered a new author that I absolutely love, read four short stories, got about 50 pages each into two other books, and started a non-fiction work that seems really promising!  

Edited by dtrpath27

I've read about three hours so far today, though I'd never manage more than 20 to 50 pages per hour, depending on the book.

I've found that certain books take a lot longer for me than others to read.  Also, I definitely have to be in the mood to read it, so I often switch from book to book until I settle in on one in particular.

My reading rate was 20 to 25 pages an hour. Reading rates depend on complications of the plot and lines per page.

On Friday I read to Page 47 and so far on Saturday, I've read to page 68. I've finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, 149 Pages.

22,30,39,47 Friday 2 Hours

68,88,108,149 Saturday 4 1/2 Hours.

6 1/2 Hours app. 149 Pages

x

Great progress, Dex!

I've read about three hours so far today, though I'd never manage more than 20 to 50 pages per hour, depending on the book.

x

For me it depends on what kind of book it is, how many words on the page, which font, how big or small is the font, etc. If I re-read a children's book I can read a lot more pages in an hour than if I read a new complicated classic with many words on the page.

The Hindenburg Murders.

It sounded interresting, being about the Zeppelin, but every other sentence is about how bad everybody felt about the Nazis (they were, no question, but it would be enough to say it a couple of times.)

And Hawaii by James Michener

A great book but rather complicated to read in a foreign language.

x

I'm sorry to hear the first book wasn't as interesting as you'd hoped. I have some of James Michener's books on my wishlist, glad to hear you like it though it's not nice it's hard to read it in a foreign language.

I'm sort of joining in! Working yesterday but have put in a good 90 minutes so far today on Dracula - I'd like to finish it today if I can so I can start fresh tomorrow on something else.

x

Woohoo! I wish you happy reading :readingtwo::)

Sigh...I fell asleep early last night and woke this morning with a book on my chest.  Needless to say, I didn't get as much reading done as I had hoped.  Just finished a book that I didn't enjoy at all...

On the upside, I discovered a new author that I absolutely love, read four short stories, got about 50 pages each into two other books, and started a non-fiction work that seems really promising!

x

Awww :(. But, you have made some great progress :)! It's always nice in my opinion to discover a new author that you really love.

Here's my progress for Saturday:

Saturday 08-03-2014

30 mins, 83 pages, Jonny Zucker - Tina Topper 79: Evi - Stuntmeid!

70 mins, 111 pages, Rinze Terluin - Happy Habits

45 mins, 68 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 6: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Total: 2 h 25 mins, 262 pages

Overall I didn't read as long or as much as I'd hoped. There were a few important things I needed to do yesterday so there was less opportunity to read. I did enjoy the books I read, though.

Foundation - Isaac Asimov, 234 Pages

So far on Sunday, I've read 100 Pages in 2 Hours and another 50 in another hour . I've read another 47 Pages in another hour and only have 35 left. 52 mins.

4 Hours 52 Minutes

56, 100, 150, 197, 234

Edited by dex

Foundation and Empire - Isaac Asimov, 240 Pages.

2 Hours 35 mins

45, 82, 108

Edited by dex

Another 200pgs into NOS4A2.  Read about 3 hours.  And about 25pages more of 1492, which I really don't want to give up, but just might.  I usually doesn't give up on books but this one is a snooze.  Will read more today!

Well done, Alex.  :)  Did it improve for you?

Yes, I enjoyed the last section. I was unsure what mark to give it - it currently sits on a 2.5 but I am tempted to upgrade it to 3 if I am honest. The last section pulled it up a bit. 

Another 200pgs into NOS4A2.  Read about 3 hours.  And about 25pages more of 1492, which I really don't want to give up, but just might.  I usually doesn't give up on books but this one is a snooze.  Will read more today!

Good progress! I have had the give up argument with myself several times in the last few years - I normally persevere and then wonder why on earth I bothered!  :giggle: