Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

We have these every month, it's always the first 'full' weekend of the month. So next time will be 6-8.6. Remember to tune in then! :)

You're most welcome to join in June :)!

Frankie's right, it'll be Friday Saturday Sunday 6th 7th 8th of June.

This is great, I'm not scheduled to work on that weekend besides friday. I'm looking forward to this.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for this late reply. Great progress everyone!

Here's mine for Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday 02-05-2014

45 mins, 52 pages, Harry Mulisch - Twee Vrouwen
1h, 107 pages, Mirjam Oldenhave - Tina Supertopper 8: Ik, ik!
30 mins, 144 pages, Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Relatietherapeut
1h 5 mins, 94 pages, Jørgen Gaare and Øystein Sjaastad - Harry Potter en de School der Wijzen: Wat Harry Potter ons over Filosofie Leert
Total: 3h 20 mins, 397 pages

Sunday 03-05-2014[/i

2h 30 mins, 179 pages, Jørgen Gaare and Øystein Sjaastad - Harry Potter en de School der Wijzen: Wat Harry Potter ons over Filosofie Leert
35 mins, 107 pages, Jen Campbell - Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
Total: 3h 5 mins, 286 pages

Total Read-a-thon May: 11h 25 mins, 1255 pages, 8 books finished (9th almost)

I know it's a little late but wanted to post my progress anyway so I can find it back later if I need to. I look forward to the next read-a-thon, Iopeanha, we're glad to have you with us :).

• 2 weeks later...

It's two and a half weeks until the next read-a-thon, the 6th 7th 8th of June. I started this post thinking it was one and a half weeks but I just checked the calendar after writing the post, and it's a bit longer to wait. I've got bits of a pile lined up but of some I'm not sure yet. My read-a-thon piles are getting a bit similar so I was thinking of perhaps adding something different as well. I'm not sure yet what, though. I guess it's too early to be excited about it, but I do love reading :readingtwo:. Does anyone else know already if they'll be joining?

It's two and a half weeks until the next read-a-thon, the 6th 7th 8th of June. I started this post thinking it was one and a half weeks but I just checked the calendar after writing the post, and it's a bit longer to wait. I've got bits of a pile lined up but of some I'm not sure yet. My read-a-thon piles are getting a bit similar so I was thinking of perhaps adding something different as well. I'm not sure yet what, though. I guess it's too early to be excited about it, but I do love reading :readingtwo:. Does anyone else know already if they'll be joining?

I have a bunch of books lined up, but I'm not sure yet what I will be reading.  I will definitely take part though.  I might read one of the June reading circle books, even though I'm too late for the circle, they all sound good.  Other contenders would be Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde, I really enjoyed her When I Found You or maybe some Stephen King.  And I'm sure I will have a Reacher book going.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm probably going to some of these 4 books:-

Poul Anderson - Tau Zero

Roger Zelazny - Lord Of Light 

Greg Bear - Blood Music

Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man (Were there any other Nods  :smile: , I missed in Babylon 5, First Time round?)

Great to have you three 'aboard', I hope you all have a good read-a-thon :).

Dex, several of those books are on my wishlist, I hope you enjoy them.

Edited by Athena

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder, the read-a-thon will be on 6th 7th 8th of May, so the coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm excited to be reading some more books :exc:. I'm reading Pandora's Star at the moment and while it's epic and very good, it'll be nice to read some less epic, shorter, lighter (I have a heavy hardcover copy), less complicated books over the weekend.

Morning.

The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester, 250 Pages

Friday

3 hrs to P.130

Saturday

2 hrs 23 to 250

Total

5 hrs 23 mins

Edited by dex

My progress yesterday:

Friday 06-06-2014

1h 10 mins, 176 pages, Roald Dahl - Boy: Tales of Childhood

45 mins, 127 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 14: Hallo, Mallory

50 mins, 121 pages, Jen Campbell - More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

20 mins, 46 pages, Daniel Pennac - The Rights of the Reader

Total: 3h 5 mins, 470 pages

To be honest at first I wasn't really feeling like reading the books I had picked, I was also having a headache. So I decided to read the books I felt like reading rather than the specific order that the pile was in (the books were on the pile but more near the end). Later on though I got more into reading. I'd like to go back to Pandora's Star soon too but it's so epic and complex I can't read it for very long. I read it in on Thursday too long and felt very tired after that. I haven't read any books yet today, so hopefully I'll get some reading done in the afternoon.

Anna, are you enjoying those Kindle Singles?

My progress yesterday:

Friday 06-06-2014

1h 10 mins, 176 pages, Roald Dahl - Boy: Tales of Childhood

45 mins, 127 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 14: Hallo, Mallory

50 mins, 121 pages, Jen Campbell - More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

20 mins, 46 pages, Daniel Pennac - The Rights of the Reader

Total: 3h 5 mins, 470 pages

Anna, are you enjoying those Kindle Singles?

Morning Athena!  I read 2 of them yesterday, the story is fast passed, but the writing isn't too good.  It's ok though, except for the occasional Grammar slip, I'm into it.

1h, 25 mins, 70 pages Zombie Apocalpyse- Keith Luethke (#1)

2hrs 20 mins, 71 pages Zombie Apocalpyse: Spreading the Disease (#2)

Total for Friday: 3hrs, 45mins, 141 pages

I wish I could read as fast as you!  I can do about 100 pages a day, but I read little bits here and there throughout the day, but my main reading is first thing in the morning, about 2 hours or so.  Maybe I'll be Better today!

Edited by Anna Begins

Blood Music Greg Bear, 262 Pages

Saturday 7/6

1 hr to P. 40

Sunday

1 hr to P.84

1 hr to P.126

1 hr to P.165

So I read 415 Pages altogether in 9 hrs 23 min.

Edited by dex

Great progress, Anna and Dex!

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Saturday 07-06-2014

55 mins, 128 pages, Daniel Pennac - The Rights of the Reader

20 mins, 144 pages, Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Pillen, Praten en Patiënten

45 mins, 193 pages, Mika Kawamura - Panic x Panic 1

45 mins, 195 pages, Mika Kawamura - Panic x Panic 2

Total: 2h 45 mins, 660 pages

It felt like I spent more time reading than I did. The reason I was able to read so many pages is that one of the books was a comic and two of them were manga, I read that quite a lot quicker than pages filled with text. For me how fast I can read really depends on the text, how complicated it is, whether I've read it before, the level (if it's a children's book or an adult one etc.), the writing style, how many words on the page, the font, etc. For the read-a-thon I try to pick books that I know won't take me too long to read, because I feel more like I've progressed then (also epic complicated books I can't read for too long or my head gets really tired).

There are so many of these Zombie Apocalypse books, I might just keep them in mind for other read-a- thons.

For Saturday June 7th.

2hrs, 92pages Zombie Apocalypse: Haunted Wasteland (#3)

1hr, 20 mins, 60 pages, Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Total= 3hrs and 20 mins, 152 pages

Woke up late and am getting a late start for Sunday.

Edited by Anna Begins

Great progress Anna!

Here's my progress for Sunday:

Sunday 08-06-2014

1h 40 mins, 186 pages, Simon de Waal and A. C. Baantjer - De Waal & Baantjer 4: Een Schot in de Roos

1h 5 mins, 91 pages, Anna Enquist - De Ijsdragers

1h, 126 pages, Lynda Waterhouse - Tina Topper 65: Vriendschap in Gevaar (Fall Out)

Total: 3h 45 mins, 403 pages

Total this read-a-thon: 9h 35 mins, 1533 pages, 10 books read and finished

Overall I read more than it felt like I did. I could've spent more time reading but I did other things instead. I enjoyed the read-a-thon and had fun reading the books. I do love to read :readingtwo:. Now for the 10 reviews I have to write..

The next read-a-thon will take place on 4th 5th 6th of July. I don't know how many people will be participating since some people may be on holidays (but then again this time we were only with the three of us).

For Sunday June 8:

Zombie Apocalypse: Spreading the Disease (#4)

70 mins, 59 pages

Zombie Apocalypse, Desperate Measures (#5)

70 mins, 66 pages

Total= 1hr 20 mins 125 pages

For entire read-a- thon: 418 pages, aprox. 6hrs, 5 books read

I was kind of all over the place yesterday, reading BBC History and some of Wild Swans, which I didn't time/ keep track of.

The next read-a-thon will take place on 4th 5th 6th of July. I don't know how many people will be participating since some people may be on holidays (but then again this time we were only with the three of us).

Yes, that one might be hard, as the 4th of July is a big o deal over here in the US (Independence Day).  Disappointingly, The 3 other Divergent Free Four Kindle Shorts come out on the 8th, otherwise, I would read them for the read- a thon.

Edited by Anna Begins

Congrats on finishing 5 books :D!

Ah right, I guess most of you from the US will be busy with Independence Day then. I'm also eagerly awaiting Four's stories, though in paperback. I look forward to reading them.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't suppose a lot of people will be joining in the read-a-thon next weekend? I'm thinking I might switch it up from the usual pile of books I read for the read-a-thon, lately I haven't really been feeling like reading those books, or rather, I feel more like reading other books :P. The read-a-thon seems to be getting a bit less special since I spend some time reading during the rest of my spare time, as well. But maybe I'll totally feel like it next weekend, I'll have to wait and see.

I'm in again!  Might not have a good reading day on Friday, as it is Independence Day here.  But otherwise, count me in- it might just be what I need right now- this new medicine makes me so uninterested in everything, I hardly feel like reading!  Don't know what to read yet, I MIGHT go back to those silly Zombie books or work on 13 Reasons Why.