Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

That'd be a lot of books! Are they from several different kinds of genres and are they all new authors to you?

They`re mostly new authors ( I look at the books reviewed in the papers over the weekend, which gives me some new books to try, as well as books which people on here liked ) ; I have quite a few real-life Kimples as well, like books of Nora Ephron essays and this one about a Korean Deli. :smile:

Good luck with your house move !  I hope the books enjoy their new home ! :D

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always keep a ton of Kindle Samples- that's how I keep track of books I want to read!  I don't think I could even survive without free Kindle Samples- in fact, I always read the Sample before buying the book!  Happy Reading!  You'll have fun finding tons of stuff in your Sample collection :readingtwo:

Thank you. :D

I`ve found it`s all too easy to come across a book and - instead of reading the except - sample the book and forget about it... :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon takes place the 1rst 2nd 3rd of August, so this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I don't know yet how far we'll be with moving/unpacking/furnitur..ing but if I feel like it I'll join in on the read-a-thon. Anyone else?

I'm not sure what I'm going to read- probably 12 Years a Slave.  I (hopefully) will have finished The Fountainhead before then!  I love read-a thons.  This one might just be my last one I really enjoy as I will be in school in beginning August 13th.  September might be just my text book  :smile: Unless I can get away with something more... enjoyable. :P

Edited by Anna Begins

My boyfriend gave me Pentabu - My Girlfriend's a Geek Volume One, I was thinking I might read that for the next read-a-thon, as well as the usual pile of books. I'm also actually very eager to read/re-read some of my boyfriend's manga. I haven't read my favourites in years now and would really like to read them again. So I hope to read some manga too, for the next read-a-thon.

I just found a series of Kindle shorts by Joe Hill, I might read them.  Now, I'm not sure!  I'm giving myself as long as possible to finish The Fountainhead, but I am going to take a break for the read-a- thon if I am STILL reading it (I hope to god not).

I'm definitely participating in the read-a-thon. Not sure what I will read yet. I'm open to suggestions. Preferably fiction and not too difficult to read considering its a read-a-thon and I don't want to lose my mojo. 

I just found a series of Kindle shorts by Joe Hill, I might read them.  Now, I'm not sure!  I'm giving myself as long as possible to finish The Fountainhead, but I am going to take a break for the read-a- thon if I am STILL reading it (I hope to god not).

I hope you can finish it! If not, I think it's good if you read something else instead as to not get frustrated. I've heard good things about Joe Hill's work, though not anything about the shorts. I was interested in a couple of shorts on Amazon but the Dutch price for them is higher than the US price, so for that price I'd rather have almost a full price book to be honest, unless I'm sure I'll like it or I must have it. If you do read them, let me know what you think.

I'm definitely participating in the read-a-thon. Not sure what I will read yet. I'm open to suggestions. Preferably fiction and not too difficult to read considering its a read-a-thon and I don't want to lose my mojo.

I saw your thread, I hope you find something you like :).

I hope you can finish it! If not, I think it's good if you read something else instead as to not get frustrated. I've heard good things about Joe Hill's work, though not anything about the shorts. I was interested in a couple of shorts on Amazon but the Dutch price for them is higher than the US price, so for that price I'd rather have almost a full price book to be honest, unless I'm sure I'll like it or I must have it. If you do read them, let me know what you think.

Oh, I WILL finish lol  I won't give up now.  I only have 20% left.  It's good, I don't want anyone to think I'm slogging through a terrible book!  It's just... intense.  Yup- intense.  perfect word. 

But I think a read-a thon break is just what I need :smile: I've read lots of Joe Hill- he is amazing!  NOS4A2 and Horns are two of my favorites, but his Kindle Shorts are good too.  Hill and King's shorts (father and son BTW) are cheap, even their collaborations.  it's Veronica Roth's Four series that are on the pricy side here.  Sorry- not paying $1.99 for a 30-50 page sub-standard book, that grasps at straws to tie in with Divergent.  :angry:

Oh, I WILL finish lol  I won't give up now.  I only have 20% left.  It's good, I don't want anyone to think I'm slogging through a terrible book!  It's just... intense.  Yup- intense.  perfect word. 

But I think a read-a thon break is just what I need :smile: I've read lots of Joe Hill- he is amazing!  NOS4A2 and Horns are two of my favorites, but his Kindle Shorts are good too.  Hill and King's shorts (father and son BTW) are cheap, even their collaborations.  it's Veronica Roth's Four series that are on the pricy side here.  Sorry- not paying $1.99 for a 30-50 page sub-standard book, that grasps at straws to tie in with Divergent.  :angry:

I hope you enjoy the break! I'm glad to read you like Joe Hill, I have several books by him on my wishlist and I own one on Kindle (but I'd like a paperback version). Are the shorts like short stories? I saw that Stephen King had one that was about guns. What annoys me sometimes with short stories on Kindle, is that sometimes 50% of it is just a sample of a new book rather than the actual short story. So the page count isn't really truthful. Did you not like the Four stories? I have the book with all of them on my wishlist.

I hope you enjoy the break! I'm glad to read you like Joe Hill, I have several books by him on my wishlist and I own one on Kindle (but I'd like a paperback version). Are the shorts like short stories?   Did you not like the Four stories? I have the book with all of them on my wishlist.

No, I read The Transfer, one of the Four stories and hated it.  It gave Four no depth (which was what I thought was the point)  Basically, Roth needs Tris to keep Four interesting and motivated, which you can even tell from the series, if you think about it.  His motivation is Tris.  Always.  Disappointing, because I had been looking forward to their release. 

The shorts by Hill and King are definitely short stories, not part of longer books and hold up by themselves.  In the Tall Grass, a King/ Hill collaboration, was a really interesting one!  Joe Hill's From the Twittering Circus of the Dead was good too at only 40 pages, in which, something does happen :smile:  These are only a dollar.  Which Hill do you have on your Kindle?

No, I read The Transfer, one of the Four stories and hated it.  It gave Four no depth (which was what I thought was the point)  Basically, Roth needs Tris to keep Four interesting and motivated, which you can even tell from the series, if you think about it.  His motivation is Tris.  Always.  Disappointing, because I had been looking forward to their release. 

The shorts by Hill and King are definitely short stories, not part of longer books and hold up by themselves.  In the Tall Grass, a King/ Hill collaboration, was a really interesting one!  Joe Hill's From the Twittering Circus of the Dead was good too at only 40 pages, in which, something does happen :smile:  These are only a dollar.  Which Hill do you have on your Kindle?

I have Four the book with all of the stories in it and I liked it. The first couple stories in the book are before he meets Tris and it makes his character seem more interesting and makes the reader understand his decisions in the Divergent series better. I can't recall which story The Transfer is right now, before or after Tris?

I have Four the book with all of the stories in it and I liked it. The first couple stories in the book are before he meets Tris and it makes his character seem more interesting and makes the reader understand his decisions in the Divergent series better. I can't recall which story The Transfer is right now, before or after Tris?

Ok, cause maybe I'm mixed up- I thought the Four books were The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor?

I believe The Transfer is before Tris.  I didn't know they switched timelines- I thought they were all before Tris.  Hm.  If you liked them, maybe I will give them a go during a read a thon... I have no idea what to read for August, but I think it might be 12 Years a Slave.

Ok, cause maybe I'm mixed up- I thought the Four books were The Transfer, The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor?

I believe The Transfer is before Tris.  I didn't know they switched timelines- I thought they were all before Tris.  Hm.  If you liked them, maybe I will give them a go during a read a thon... I have no idea what to read for August, but I think it might be 12 Years a Slave.

Maybe they are all before Tris. The book I got had some extra scenes/stories in them so maybe those were after Tris. I don't have the book on hand because I let a friend borrow it. 

Did you also read "Free Four" ?  It's just his side of the knife throwing scene.  Kinda interesting, but really short for the $.

I don't think that was in there. I remember for sure that Tris is in The Traitor, but she isn't really a main character in it. She's there, but more as background. I have a terrible memory because of concussions. I wish I could help more. 

I have a terrible memory because of concussions. I wish I could help more. 

Mercy!  I hope you are ok!

Free Four was included in some of the Four collections, so I wasn't sure if yours had it or not- I just ended up buying it (and The Transfer) on my own.

Mercy!  I hope you are ok!

Free Four was included in some of the Four collections, so I wasn't sure if yours had it or not- I just ended up buying it (and The Transfer) on my own.

Yeah, I'm fine. I had two within 6 months so it was rough for awhile. The weird thing is I still have a great memory when it comes to school (I took final exams with a concussion and aced them), but certain things go blank. It's sad because I used to have an almost photographic memory. 

Yeah, I'm fine. I had two within 6 months so it was rough for awhile. The weird thing is I still have a great memory when it comes to school (I took final exams with a concussion and aced them), but certain things go blank. It's sad because I used to have an almost photographic memory.

That must be very difficult :(. I have such a memory too, it used to be really good but the past few months I'm very forgetful. I hope you are okay :friends0:.

Oof, that`s scary. Hope you`re continuing to improve. :smile:

That read-a-thon seems to come round faster every month. :blush2:

I shall be a-kimpling - looking through some of the excerpts from books I`m thinking of buying - not sure what I`ll pick up as my bedtime reads ( `cos I just read the Kindle during the day ) - will have a look though the goodies that make up my TBR. :smile:

That must be very difficult :(. I have such a memory too, it used to be really good but the past few months I'm very forgetful. I hope you are okay :friends0:.

Yeah it's really hard to adjust. My teachers all think I have this amazing memory, but now it's shaky. I don't get headaches anymore (thank god) so I'm over that, but the long term effects are kicking in unfortunately. 

Oof, that`s scary. Hope you`re continuing to improve. :smile:

I am :) It's been over 6 months now since my last one. Hopefully no more  :D

I shall be a-kimpling - looking through some of the excerpts from books I`m thinking of buying - not sure what I`ll pick up as my bedtime reads ( `cos I just read the Kindle during the day ) - will have a look though the goodies that make up my TBR. :smile:

I hope you find some nice Kimples :)

Yeah it's really hard to adjust. My teachers all think I have this amazing memory, but now it's shaky. I don't get headaches anymore (thank god) so I'm over that, but the long term effects are kicking in unfortunately. 

I am :) It's been over 6 months now since my last one. Hopefully no more  :D

Awww, that's not nice at all. I'm glad you have no more headaches though.

I've been busy sorting out my book shelves (this is immense fun), I'm eager to get going with it though I'm also eager to sit down and read. I'll see how far I am tonight, perhaps work some more tomorrow, and then it's read-a-thon time :). I still haven't finished Amy & Roger's Epic Detour so I'll perhaps read that one first. There are about 150 pages left in the story. Then I've got lots of short books lined up.