Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Well I'm done with my book shelves but somehow am not really in the reading mood. But I might try and pick up a book later and see how it goes. I just don't feel like meticilously recording my exact reading times and pages. But I guess I don't need to do that, it's just me who wants to be precise :shrug:.

EDIT: Well I'm doing some reading but I'm not recording time or pages. I'm enjoying the reading, but without the additional pressure.

How are the rest of you getting on? I guess it's Friday so some of you might be busy with other things.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm done with my book shelves but somehow am not really in the reading mood. But I might try and pick up a book later and see how it goes. I just don't feel like meticilously recording my exact reading times and pages. But I guess I don't need to do that, it's just me who wants to be precise :shrug:.

EDIT: Well I'm doing some reading but I'm not recording time or pages. I'm enjoying the reading, but without the additional pressure.

How are the rest of you getting on? I guess it's Friday so some of you might be busy with other things.

Ya don't worry, take some pressure off.  Enjoy reading the read- a - thon!  Just ballpark the time and the pages.  That's what I did at first- just enjoyed it!

I'm starting with 12 Years a Slave.  Although because of a family friends' emergency, we will now be spending 8 hours in the car today. :angry:

If you're not in the mood, I don't think you need to force it. The mood comes and goes  :empathy:   And if you do end up feeling like reading but don't feel like counting the page numbers and times, you definitely don't need to do that! Just do what feels good :) 

Or you could take pictures of the bookshelves! ;) (Have you put up all your books now?)

I might give read-a-thon a go this time, actually, now that I've found out about Bernadette and am keen to see where'd she go! 

I might give read-a-thon a go this time, actually, now that I've found out about Bernadette and am keen to see where'd she go! 

Awesome that you might take part, Frankie!

Also, my family friend doesn't have to travel now, so I can really get into 12 Years a Slave!  It's an easy book to read...so far.  I'm hoping it's not as heartbreaking as Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe), but I'm sure it will be emotional. 

Edited by Anna Begins

If you're not in the mood, I don't think you need to force it. The mood comes and goes  :empathy:   And if you do end up feeling like reading but don't feel like counting the page numbers and times, you definitely don't need to do that! Just do what feels good :)

:she:

Ya don't worry, take some pressure off.  Enjoy reading the read- a - thon!  Just ballpark the time and the pages.  That's what I did at first- just enjoyed it!

Or you could take pictures of the bookshelves! ;) (Have you put up all your books now?)

Thanks Anna and Frankie :)! I have taken pictures, that's what I did first! I have put up all my books but in a while I might rearrange things again :D. If you do give the read-a-thon a go, Frankie, I hope you like the Bernadette book :). It's on my wishlist, so if you like it as well as some other people on this forum, I might be very tempted to buy it the next time I shop for books. 

Also, my family friend doesn't have to travel now, so I can really get into 12 Years a Slave!  It's an easy book to read...so far.  I'm hoping it's not as heartbreaking as Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe), but I'm sure it will be emotional.

This is great news. I hope you enjoy it :). It might be emotional though, judging by the title. 

Yesterday I finished reading Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I think I read about 150-170 pages in it. I'm not sure how long I read, it was in the afternoon. I know I finished it around 16:30 (or 4:30 PM), I think I started reading after I was done with all the photos so perhaps 14:00-15:00?

I've got some short books lined up as per usual for the read-a-thon but I don't think I feel like reading some of them.. so after I'm done with the forum and YouTube I might read some of them but not others. I'm quite eager as well to re-read some of my boyfriend's manga series so I might start on that too. Actually there are a lot of books I feel like reading :D.

I wish everyone a good read-a-thon today and tomorrow :readingtwo:.

2hrs today, read around 90 pages.  I was sorta surfing the web too :blush2:

One interesting thing Solomon Northup does in 12 Years.., is sorta echo what is ahead in the next chapter, at least giving you some warning of what is ahead.  So far, nothing bad.  But the foreshadowing for the next chapter sounds bad, so I will leave that for tomorrow.  I can't sleep with that! 

Edited by Anna Begins

I didn't really feel like reading some of the shorter books I picked out, so I've started to re-read the Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances manga series instead (by Masami Tsuda). I've read two volumes so far and am enjoying it. It's also not so hard to read as it's a manga so there are a lot of pictures with some text. Enjoyable :).

I couldn't read anything yesterday but hoping to get some done today and tomorrow :)

I'm so far 50 pages into Please Look After Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin. It's a bit odd, jumps times and places without much warning so it's a bit slow going as I try to work out where we are so to speak.

Bernadette is still going good, I really like it so far :) I had to babysit my cousin's 5yo. daughter (I don't really mean I 'had' to, I volunteered myself and made it very clear that I would really much like to see cousin's daughter and spend some time with her as she was out of town the last time I was in my hometown) so I haven't had time to read today, but she's gone now (we had a blast!) and I'm going to just relax for the rest of the evening and do whatever the heck I want :) Might include some reading! 

Bernadette is still going good, I really like it so far :) I had to babysit my cousin's 5yo. daughter (I don't really mean I 'had' to, I volunteered myself and made it very clear that I would really much like to see cousin's daughter and spend some time with her as she was out of town the last time I was in my hometown) so I haven't had time to read today, but she's gone now (we had a blast!) and I'm going to just relax for the rest of the evening and do whatever the heck I want :) Might include some reading!

I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far :). And it sounds like you had a lot of fun with your cousin's daughter :). I hope you can relax in the evening.

I read another two volumes of the Kare Kano series.

Around 2 hours, 30%- 60%, about 130 pages. 

Another interesting thing Solomon Northup does in this book is to narrate it.  12 Years a Slave is written in 1st person, after his experiences.  In this way, some of the emotional toll for the reader is alleviated- It is a grim book, but not as emotional as it could be.  There is plenty of whippings, beatings, cotton picking, ripped apart families and "man's inhumanity to man", but the book is not graphic and you know Northup survives.  Hoping to finish Sunday, then onto something fresh for Monday off my new list.

(No, I have not seen the movie, just clips on the Oscars).

Edited by Anna Begins

It sounds like a lot of pages but most of them mainly have pictures on them and little text so it goes quickly.

That's nice progress, Sarah :).

I've read another two volumes today (364 pages total), but my mojo is wavering :shrug:.

It sounds like a lot of pages but most of them mainly have pictures on them and little text so it goes quickly.

That's nice progress, Sarah :).

I've read another two volumes today (364 pages total), but my mojo is wavering :shrug:.

But pictures have lots of info to take in as well... I think you`ve had a huge bookish weekend. :D

Friday I read for a good amount of time (I'm not sure how long). Saturday I went back to school shopping, which took up most of the day so I didn't get to read very much. Today I have been mixing reading with watching netflix, which always leads to watching more netflix than reading. 

I read Perfect Match, My Sister's Keeper, and I'm in the beginning of The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

So far I've read approximately 800 pages. I'll probably read a little more tonight before I go to bed. Not a bad read-a-thon for me. 

But pictures have lots of info to take in as well... I think you`ve had a huge bookish weekend. :D

Thanks :). That is true I guess. I just didn't feel like I have had a bookish weekend. I've mainly been feeling tired and been busy with other things. 

Looks like I've missed the read-a-thon again! :doh:

Awwww.

Friday I read for a good amount of time (I'm not sure how long). Saturday I went back to school shopping, which took up most of the day so I didn't get to read very much. Today I have been mixing reading with watching netflix, which always leads to watching more netflix than reading. 

I read Perfect Match, My Sister's Keeper, and I'm in the beginning of The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

So far I've read approximately 800 pages. I'll probably read a little more tonight before I go to bed. Not a bad read-a-thon for me.

That's a lot! What did you think of the Jodi Picoult books?

:o

I read 50%- 75% in 12 Years a Slave today.  So I'm almost done, but not having reached my goal of finishing it today.  I didn't read as much this read- a- thon as I'd liked- I was at my mom's and don't want to spend the whole time outside reading (too much going on in the house to read).