Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When do you normally work, we could always see if we could change the date for one read-a-thon and see how that goes..?

Thanks for the offer but don't worry about it. I work a rotating shift pattern so it always changes around. I could have actually read a fair bit today but I managed to get distracted into doing something else.

Thanks for the offer but don't worry about it. I work a rotating shift pattern so it always changes around. I could have actually read a fair bit today but I managed to get distracted into doing something else.

That must be difficult :(. I hope your distractions were fun though :).

I'm at a good stopping point in Maze Runner, so I'm ready to go for tomorrow! I'll have my writing lab and then get into The Humans- I have it downloaded and ready lol

Have fun :)!

Happy reading :readingtwo:! I'm wearing my BookWurm T-shirt and am almost ready to go, once I finish a few things on the computer.

EDIT: To be honest I am a bit tired (did a lot yesterday) so I don't know how well it'll all go, but I'll see how I feel.

Edited by Athena

I want to join the read-a-thon this weekend, especially since my time during last weekend's Halloween Read-a-thon was so limited. It's Saturday already, almost 3 PM, and I still haven't watched the last two night's episodes of BB so that's going to take some time, but otherwise I want to do a lot of reading this weekend :smile2: 

Enjoy, everyone!  :readingtwo:

Happy reading, frankie :readingtwo:!

I didn't read a whole lot yesterday, I read 136 pages of Barbara Taylor Bradford - Hidden and finished it. I read for maybe 60-90 mins. I had trouble concentrating and didn't feel in the mood to read, for most of the day (I'm not entirely sure why though).

Today so far I've read more, I read for about an hour in Ann M. Martin - BSC 19: Claudia and the Bad Joke (132 pages) and for 45 mins, 81 pages in A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 5: Een Rat in de Val. I hope to do some more reading this afternoon :).

Happy reading to you, too, Athena!  :friends3:

I think you did very well considering you had trouble concentrating and weren't in the mood, and were tired as well. I hope you're feeling more energetic today and enjoy your reading! :) 

I forgot to mention in my previous post that on Friday I read 97 pages of Mr Monk in Trouble, thus finishing the novel. Not sure yet what to read next, and I have to go grocery shopping before I can truly start the read-a-thon :) 

That's very dangerous.. :D How does one do those things simultaneously? 

Too bad one can't add the pages one reads on the forum... :D

I don't know HOW I do them at the same time lol I blame my previous job, I had to use 3 computers at once and was constantly emailing back and forth with a friend.  Multi tasker to the max :P

I don't know HOW I do them at the same time lol I blame my previous job, I had to use 3 computers at once and was constantly emailing back and forth with a friend.  Multi tasker to the max :P

I would think that's enough to make one develop a multiple personality syndrome... :thud::D

I started reading Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out by Lee Goldberg last night and read 190 pages. I'm hoping to finish the novel today! :smile2: 

Happy reading to you, too, Athena!  :friends3:

I think you did very well considering you had trouble concentrating and weren't in the mood, and were tired as well. I hope you're feeling more energetic today and enjoy your reading! :)

Thanks Frankie :)

Coming along nicely with The Humans, although I am surfing the net while reading  :typing:     :doh:

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I started reading Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out by Lee Goldberg last night and read 190 pages. I'm hoping to finish the novel today! :smile2:

Happy reading :)!

Yesterday after I posted I finished the Baantjer book and also read Nooit Alleen by Loes den Hollander (a novella). I started to read Missing Pieces by Norma Fox Mazer and am on page 40 out of 149. My calculations say I read for about 3-4 hours but it felt longer, so I'm not sure to be honest.

I hope to do some more reading today but am feeling tired from going out to a restaurant yesterday (to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday). I'm hoping to get through a few more short books today so we'll see how that goes.

Happy reading, both of you :readingtwo:!

How did you do on Sunday, Athena? :)

I finished Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out yesterday, and started reading Hy Conrad's Mr. Monk Gets On Board

Taking into consideration that I spend most of Friday in Helsinki and a lot of Saturday reliving Friday's events in my head, I think I did pretty well. My progress during this read-a-thon:

Friday: 

97 pages of Mr Monk in Trouble (finishing the novel)

Saturday: 

190 pages of Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out

Sunday:

99 pages of Mr. Monk Is Cleaned Out (finishing the novel) + 124 pages of Mr. Monk Gets On Board

510 pages of Monk in total, and I'm glad it's an even number because Monk can't stand odd numbers :D

Edited by frankie

Well done Frankie :)!! That's really great progress, I'm glad you had fun :). I was wondering, are those Monk books in any way related to this TV show named Monk? I've only seen one episode of it several years ago (when they were showing it here) but I thought that was really good.

Here's my progress:

Friday 07-11-2014

1h 15 mins, 136 pages, Barbara Taylor Bradford - Hidden

Total: 1h 15 mins, 136 pages

Saturday 08-11-2014

1h 5 mins, 132 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 19: Claudia and the Bad Joke (re-read)

1 h 30 mins, 186 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 5: Een Rat in de Val

40 mins, 95 pages, Loes den Hollander - Nooit Alleen

30 mins, 44 pages, Norma Fox Mazer - Missing Pieces

Total: 3h 45 mins, 457 pages

Sunday 09-11-2014

40 mins, 105 pages, Norma Fox Mazer - Missing Pieces

1h 10 mins, 173 pages, Neil Gaiman - Coraline (NL)

45 mins, 192 pages, George Asakura - A Perfect Day for Love Letters 1: Volume 1

1 h, 254 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 199: Bezoek Uit De Ruimte

40 mins, 128 pages, Dee Shulman - Mijn Supergeheime Dagboek: Reality-tv: een Nachtmerrie!

30 mins, 239 pages, Simon Sukkel and Jim Smith - Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel 1: Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel

5 mins, 17 pages, Barry Loser and Jim Smith - I am (NOT) a Loser: My Mum is a Loser

5 mins, 17 pages, Barry Loser and Jim Smith - I am (NOT) a Loser: My Dad is a Loser

10 mins, 61 pages, Simon Sukkel and Jim Smith - Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel 3: Ik Ben (G)Een Sukkel Meer

Total: 6 h 5 mins, 1186 pages

Total read-a-thon November 2014: 11h 5 mins, 1779 pages

I didn't do well on Friday, but I did better on Saturday afternoon and had fun with my reading. Most of what I read on Sunday was in part of the afternoon and in the evening. I read some really great books, and I enjoyed myself. I found it a bit of a shame Sunday was over, since I was just getting into the read-a-thon mood on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I can't quite explain my lack of Friday's progress, I was feeling really tired. I was surprised I wasn't more tired yesterday (Sunday), because I expected to be more tired after my grandma's birthday dinner. Anyway, I'm not complaining! I had a fun time in the end :). I spend most of this morning writing reviews for all the books (to be posted later).

The next read-a-thon will, in principle, take place on 5th, 6th and 7th of December (Fri Sat Sun), which is on Sinterklaas (Friday), but I'm not celebrating it anymore :P.

I believe there was talk of a Christmas read-a-thon? Christmas itself falls on Thursday the 25th. Of course if no one except me wants to plan a Christmas read-a-thon, that's fine too :) (I just.. need to plan things.). I mean, the Halloween one was spontaneous so if people prefer to do it spontaneously, so be it. But if anyone wants to plan a Christmas read-a-thon, feel free to suggest when it would be :).

You know, you could always suggest a read-a-thon some weekend when you're not working and would be interested in doing a lot of reading :) We did a rather spontaneous Halloween read-a-thon just the weekend before and even though there weren't that many participants, it was still fun! :)

Well done Frankie!! That's really great progress, I'm glad you had fun. I was wondering, are those Monk books in any way related to this TV show named Monk? I've only seen one episode of it several years ago (when they were showing it here) but I thought that was really good.

Yep, the books are based on the TV-series and the episodes! :) I only found out about them by chance, I saw one of the books at the Joensuu library some years ago and was surprised by how good and funny the book was. Unfortunately they only had two books there. When I moved to Espoo I checked if they had any Monk books at the libraries over here and they did! So happy, me! :D 

I've really enjoyed the TV series and the books :yes: 

Here's my progress:

Total read-a-thon November 2014: 11h 5 mins, 1779 pages

Wow, that's a lot of pages :D Well done!

I didn't do well on Friday, but I did better on Saturday afternoon and had fun with my reading. Most of what I read on Sunday was in part of the afternoon and in the evening. I read some really great books, and I enjoyed myself. I found it a bit of a shame Sunday was over, since I was just getting into the read-a-thon mood on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I can't quite explain my lack of Friday's progress, I was feeling really tired. I was surprised I wasn't more tired yesterday (Sunday), because I expected to be more tired after my grandma's birthday dinner. Anyway, I'm not complaining! I had a fun time in the end. I spend most of this morning writing reviews for all the books (to be posted later).

I agree, I was also disappointed that the read-a-thon was over after Sunday, I wanted to keep going :D

I'm glad you really got going during Saturday and Sunday, after Friday. One can't expect all the days of the read-a-thon to be always as successful. And the most important thing is that you enjoy it :)

I believe there was talk of a Christmas read-a-thon? Christmas itself falls on Thursday the 25th. Of course if no one except me wants to plan a Christmas read-a-thon, that's fine too (I just.. need to plan things.). I mean, the Halloween one was spontaneous so if people prefer to do it spontaneously, so be it. But if anyone wants to plan a Christmas read-a-thon, feel free to suggest when it would be.

I was also thinking about this earlier today. I can only offer my own opinion, but personally I think it's best if we don't plan the dates too early, so as not to start feeling stressed about it. But then again I understand that for you it's different, it's less stressful for you when you know well in advance when the read-a-thon is going to take place. Hmmmm!

Let's see what others think about it :) I'm sure we'll come to some sort of agreement :)

I was planning on A Christmas Carol for the 5th, 6th and 7th... but I'd be up for one around Christmas too, as I wanted to read The 13 Days of Christmas by Jason F Wright.  Of course, I'd have to stop and start Maze Runner series :rolleyes:

I did rubbish on this read a thon... um... but I did have fun!  Now I will be reading The Humans along with The Maze Runner :doh:  :P  :readingtwo:

Edited by Anna Begins

Yep, the books are based on the TV-series and the episodes! :) I only found out about them by chance, I saw one of the books at the Joensuu library some years ago and was surprised by how good and funny the book was. Unfortunately they only had two books there. When I moved to Espoo I checked if they had any Monk books at the libraries over here and they did! So happy, me! :D 

I've really enjoyed the TV series and the books :yes: 

Wow, that's a lot of pages :D Well done!

That's pretty lucky, really nice :D! And thanks :D!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder, next weekend I'll be having a read-a-thon (Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Sunday 7th). I will post a list of what I plan to read, later in the week. Who else is joining me?

EDIT: I think I might read some of these:

Paperbooks:

Emily Barr - Blackout

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 23: Dawn on the Coas

A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 1: Een Rus in de Jordaan

Ema Toyama - I Am Here! 2: Volume 2

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 202

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 1: Fantasia

Neil Gaiman - Fortunately, the Milk

Norma Fox Mazer - Babyface

Stephen King - Achtbaan (Riding the Bullet)

Annie M. G. Schmidt - Minoes

Kindle:

Chrissie Manby - The Christmas List

Talli Roland - Mistletoe in Manhattan

Talli Roland - Last Christmas

Talli Roland - Married by Midnight

Abby Clements - The Christmas Bake Off

Carolyn Nash - The First Day of Christmas

L. Frank Baum - A Kidnapped Santa Claus

Patrick Yearly - A Lonely Dog on Christmas

Brittainy C. Cherry - Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-Up Christmas Relationship

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 1: Second Chance Christmas

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 2: Second Chance Valentines

Shawn Inmon - Second Chance Love Story 3: Second Chance Summer

Stephanie Perkins / Holly Black / David Leviathan / Laini Taylor / Kiersten White / Myra McEntire / Kelly Link / Jenny Han / Rainbow Rowell / Ally Carter / Matt de la Pena / Gayle Foreman - My True Love Gave to Me

This is very ambitious though.. there are so many books I want to read :blush2:. I might need to narrow it down some :lol:. I'll see how I feel later in the week.

Edited by Athena

I haven't planned on what I am going to read for the read a thon, I keep going back and forth.  I am getting a little lonesome for Jack Reacher, so maybe one of Lee Child's Kindle Singles.  But count me in!