Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham, 272 Pages

It took me about 7 hrs to read it, and I couldn't read much of it in one go. I enjoyed the story, but not the end.

Edited by dex

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh it is read-a-thon weekend!  I completely forgot.   :doh:  I have a bit of a jam-packed weekend, so I'm going to set a much lower goal for myself.

Last time I had a goal of 1,000 pages, but wound up reading around 1,400 I think...this time I'm going to set a goal of reading two books from my pile along with one short story from a book I bought last weekend.

So who else is joining in the fun?

ETA:  Yes, it was 1,400.  Four books, four short stories, and bits of two other books.  I think my goal for this weekend is right on track given my time constraints.  Happy reading, one and all!

Edited by dtrpath27

I had quite a good time reading today.

Still reading Hawaii, which is very slow-going, because I read other books in between.

It's not like the book ist tedious, but its descriptions are in a way which I can stand only a while at a time.

Sigh...my goal might have been a bit ambitious.  One short story, a chapter of A Tale of Two Cities, about a third of the way through A Light Between Oceans.  I'll probably finish A Light Between Oceans and one more short story, but I don't think I'll have time to read a second book.

A monthly read-a-thon?  What a fantastic idea!

I know I'm a bit late to the party this time around but you can definitely put my name down for the next one, and the one after that.  In fact my intention is to participate each and every month.  I'm sure I can clear one weekend each month to do nothing but read; sounds like heaven.

Am I right in thinking the next one will be held the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of May?  If so, I'll jot a quick note on the calendar so I don't forget.  I'm looking forward to it already.

Readathons, dates for the future.

February 7-9

March 7-9

April 4-6

May 2-4

June 6-8

July 4-6

August 1-3

September  5-7

October 3-5

November 7-9

December 5-7

I hope everyone's been enjoying their read-a-thon :)

Read one short story today; it was around 35 pages or so.  Started on one of my TBRs.  Left it in the car, so I'm going to read a bit of A Tale of Two Cities on my Kindle while I wait.

Oooh, A Tale of Two Cities. How are you liking that?

A monthly read-a-thon?  What a fantastic idea!

Welcome! :) I think you live in the UK (going by your intro post) so you have a few hours of the weekend still ahead of you if you want to give it a go :D

My mojo's been unreliable again, but I did read 40 pages of some book, can't remember the title, and then I started and finished In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner (a comfy re-read). 510 pages in total.

Edited by frankie

I hope everyone's been enjoying their read-a-thon :)

Oooh, A Tale of Two Cities. How are you liking that?

Great; it's wonderfully descriptive.  I've read it before, but my not-so-little one is reading it for eighth grade English, so I told her I'd read along with her.  We're doing a fair bit of discussion along the way which makes it go slower but makes it even more interesting.  Her next assigned one is To Kill a Mockingbird, which we'll also read together.  It's a lot of fun -- sort of like our own mini book club.

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, 220 Pages

I'm finding it an easier read than the triffids.

3hrs to P.153, 1hr to 199, 22 mins to 220.

So I read 2 books, 492 Pages in 11 hrs 22 mins

Edited by dex

Great; it's wonderfully descriptive.  I've read it before, but my not-so-little one is reading it for eighth grade English, so I told her I'd read along with her.  We're doing a fair bit of discussion along the way which makes it go slower but makes it even more interesting.  Her next assigned one is To Kill a Mockingbird, which we'll also read together.  It's a lot of fun -- sort of like our own mini book club.

Ah, it's a re-read. I found the first 60 or so pages very slow and only kept going because it was a mandatory read for uni. But it was worth it in the end, what a great novel!

I love it that you are reading books alongside with your daughter, I bet it makes it so much more fun for her (and you, of course) :smile2: You are such a great Mom!

I managed to do a bit of reading in bed, I'm counting it towards the read-a-thon even though it may have slipped on the small hours of Monday... 80 or so pages of Twilight.

Ah, it's a re-read. I found the first 60 or so pages very slow and only kept going because it was a mandatory read for uni. But it was worth it in the end, what a great novel!

I love it that you are reading books alongside with your daughter, I bet it makes it so much more fun for her (and you, of course) :smile2: You are such a great Mom!

Aww, thanks!  You're so sweet.   :blush2:  She's quite the reader, but at 13, needed a little help at first processing the archaic language and unfamiliar historical/cultural references; that's what started it all.  Before long, she got the hang of it, but we kept going together because it was so much fun.  Such nerds we are!  :readingtwo:

For read-a-thon, I wound up reading a couple chapters in A Tale of Two Cities, the short story Gentleman Theif by Goliath Taraghi, all of A Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman, several chapters of the Bible, an assortment of book samples, and then finally settled on The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. A bit less than my goal for this time and way less than I read last time, but I had fun all the same.

Edited by dtrpath27

Aww, thanks!  You're so sweet.   :blush2:  She's quite the reader, but at 13, needed a little help at first processing the archaic language and unfamiliar historical/cultural references; that's what started it all.  Before long, she got the hang of it, but we kept going together because it was so much fun.  Such nerds we are!

She must be quite the reader, since she's reading such a tricky book at 13. I was about 20 years old when I had to read it and found it difficult :D

I read all of Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child, 386 pages in 3 days.  I didn't keep track of how long I read though!  I've started a new habit- once I wake up, I read for a few hours.  So, I'll have to keep track for the next read a thon!

Great progress, everyone! I was feeling very tired over the weekend and didn't feel up for going on the forum until today (sorry :blush2:). For future reference, Dex's dates are correct. It is always the Fri-Sat-Sun where the Friday is the first Friday in the month (so the first Fri-Sat-Sun that're all in the month).

Here's my progress of this month's read-a-thon:

Friday 04-04-2014

35 mins, 87 pages, Mike Gayle - Men At Work

15 mins, 73 pages, Roald Dahl - The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

50 mins, 135 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 12: Claudia and the New Girl (re-read)

1 h 15 mins, 158 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - Baantjer en de Waal 2: Een Lijk in de Kast

55 mins, 95 pages, Karin Slaughter - Onbegrepen (Martin Misunderstood)

50 mins, 125 pages, J. E. Bright - Tina Topper 79: Háár Vriendje... en ik (Your Best Friend's Boyfriend)

15 mins, 95 pages, Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Weet Wel Raad met Vakantie

25 mins, 63 pages, Sophie Divry - The Library of Unrequited Love

Total: 5 h 20 mins, 831 pages

Saturday 05-04-2014

15 mins, 29 pages, Sophie Divry - The Library of Unrequited Love

10 mins, 19 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Total: 25 mins, 48 pages

Sunday 06-04-2014

45 mins, 97 pages, J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Total this read-a-thon: 6 h 30 mins, 976 pages, 8.15 books read

I had a great reading day on Friday (though it felt longer than 5 hours but I also wrote down notes for reviews) but got a bit tired from all the reading. On Saturday we went to my grandparents' place and I hardly did any reading. I didn't have much time and when I did I was too tired. On Sunday I felt very tired from Saturday and didn't read much either, though I did get a bit of reading done (more than I thought).

The next read-a-thon will take place on 2nd 3rd 4th of May (Fri-Sat-Sun).

• 2 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is in two weeks, the 2nd 3rd 4th of May. I know it's still two weeks away but I'm looking forward to it. Now that I've finished the Harry Potter series I thought I might try and read the book about the philosophy of the series (by Jostein Gaarder), as well as the usual pile of books.

Woo-hoo!  I saw you mention this in another post and I couldn't believe it was almost time for another one.  Thanks to a couple of book sales almost back to back, I have a huge TBR list sitting by my bed.  I don't even think I'll need to go to the library for reinforcements.  I do like having a variety on hand, though, so I'll have to go through it to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...