In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

Most people who arent working white collar jobs tend to start out with one week after working a year. Pathetic. And then there are those who work like a dog, put in for their earned vacation, get it "approved", go on holiday and come back fired. Yeah, happened to my dh.

People who work in the fast food industry don't get vacations either because they are considered part time. They work all holidays but have no benefits. Sucks.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So frightening to read this. I have been at my job for almost a year and I have 4 weeks paid leave as a matter of course~ my colleagues and boss making sure I use my time before the end-of-year cut off (I think April).

I am particularly lucky because within the small family (not my family) business that I work, we can be flexible for each other swapping shifts or jobs within shifts. The attitude is that so long as the job get done and everyone is happy, it's not a problem.

My holiday is 4 weeks in summer, 1 week in winter, plus 2 days compensation per year for working a few minutes more per day than the national agreement is. And did you know what else I learned? Holidays are earned per month worked, and being on sick leave also earns days off just like when I'm working. So I have a nice 4 week summer holiday waiting for me, to be held "as soon as possible" after I return to work, and it doesn't make my holiday next summer shorter. I can also make a deal with my employer to hold my days off at a later time. I believe I will use my holidays to get a soft start after all this time away. We have a "gentlemen's" agreement NOT to take extra days off around Christmas though, since we're usually extremely busy then.

Edited by SaraPepparkaka

. We have a "gentlemen's" agreement NOT to take extra days off around Christmas though, since we're usually extremely busy then.

Similarly I wouldn't take time off before Christmas or Easter which can be our busiest times. I have no children living at home soo I also usually avoid taking time during the school holidays, although I was asked if I would this year to accomodate our early closing.

We're guaranteed good holidays by law in the UK. Companies can insist that staff take bank holidays out of their entitlement if they open those days but it's still really good. According to the official Government site, the following applies

The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:

* you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)

* part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)

* you start building up holiday as soon as you start work

* your employer can control when you take your holiday

* you get paid your normal pay for your holiday

* when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken

* bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement

* you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

At Tesco I work 3 days a week and get 13 days holiday - I also get 5 'bank holidays' (which I can take on other days as I don't work Mondays - I take Easter Sunday as one as I'm contracted but we aren't allowed to trade on Easter Sunday - thank goodness). I also get 1 extra float day to be taken in December or January. Not at all bad, really. :)

"Subo" refused permission to sing Perfect Day by Lou Reed - forced to cancel performance on America's Got Talent

Awwwwwww, diddums! Couldn't she have sung a song she'd performed before? Not very professional to not have a back-up plan. All performers should ALWAYS have an alternate. This just shows her up as the glorified karaoke singer she actually is.

And I applaud Lou Reed for denying her permission to sing his song. I wouldn't... want her warbling any material I ever wrote either!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its obviously big mysterious hole day in the news today I managed to find 4 different stories on the BBC just in 3 minutes

big hole in Germany, China the States and Norwich I think the world is collapsing

Edited by pickle

Yeah, most communities have leash laws, in order to protect people, other animals, and the dogs themselves. Whenever our dog would get off her leash, she would run away for two or three days at a time and was unable to find her way back. She would always come back filthy after taking a dip in a nearby swamp. And one time she got loose and killed one of our neighbor's chickens.

Is it illegal to have your dog off a leash in the US? There are a lot of angry and mean comments there about the fact that the dog wasn't on a leash.

I'll be sure to put my dogs on a leash just in case I meet one of our dangerous New Zealand creatures..... Hmm. None spring to mind. Although we do have some quite snarky geese in some areas.

But seriously, I doubt this lady was expecting to meet a bear when she took her dog off the leash. And how sad that dogs can never run free. I do agree it's sad a bear has died but I really don't think it's this one individual's fault. I think it is a more general problem of humans invading animal territories with our expanding suburbs and cities. If humans move into an area which bears habituate then there is likely to be bear-human contact and I know which species is likely to come off second best.

I don't have a solution for that problem. But I doubt the people labelling this woman as stupid for chasing after her dog have a solution either.

Funny should mention the leash laws. I watched Judge Judy Friday and there was an episode where a guy had the NERVE to sue his neighbors boyfriend for beating his dog. But get this, the dog (pit bull) got out of the house and ran for the neighbors dog while the dog was in its yard. It killed the dog and bit the neighbors boyfriend! No remorse, no common sense AND this dog is a repeat biter. In all honesty, I would have shot it and would have been within my rights to do it. He, the idiot, thought it was being hit excessively...?! Of course, he lost.

A lot of people who have dogs fence in their yards, so the dogs can have the run of the yard. There are also a lot of parks that have areas for dogs to fun around. I agree that it is sad that dogs can't just run loose, but it's just too dangerous.

Speaking of dangerous, there was news today that there have been bear sightings on my street. Yeah, I'm staying inside for now. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

New Zealand is in mourning for the loss of 29 men's lives lost in a coal mine explosion at the Pike River Mine in Greymouth, South Island. It is six days since the first explosion and it still isn't deemed safe enough for rescuers to enter the mine and now there has been another explosion, bigger than the first and they're saying there is now no chance of anyone surviving. The youngest was a boy of 17 and it was his first day at work. Amongst the men were twenty-four from NZ, two from Australia, two from Britain and one from South Africa. The flags flew at half-mast today :cry: