In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

Apparently it's free postage (for Australia at least) if you spend over 25 pounds. Obviously that wouldn't be a problem for me but I would really prefer not to use Amazon. I'm not sure why exactly, but they're just so big and impersonal and the BD gives me a more personal experience, if that makes sense? It helps that they're also dedicated book sellers.

We don't have our own Amazon. I think we're not big enough for that. Our options are the UK or US Amazons.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie what about using usegoodbooks.com.

It looks like they are upgrading at the moment so site not available but will be soon. It's a New Zealand site (formerly goodbooks.co.nz) - 100% of profits go to Oxfam and I used to find the prices reasonably competitive.

I actually find Amazon's prices to be a lot cheaper than in regular bookstores. My boyfriend and I always combine our book orders to make sure we get the free shipping, too. I like Amazon, but I'm pretty sure I'm biased because they're a local company and they've done a lot for our economy and for the city.

Thanks for the tip, LadyMacbeth. :) I have recently started using BetterWorldBooks.com, which has free shipping everywhere and pretty cheap books. I've only made one order so far so I'm still waiting to see how it goes, but if it goes well I might be using them more in the future.

On the BBC site ticker-tape:

BREAKING NEWS:

The News of the World is to publish its last edition on Sunday, News International announces

Hurrah, a good thing too!

ETA: Update here

Edited by Janet

I was surprised to see that headline today, Janet, but I think it's good news for the British media. I've heard nothing but bad things about that rag, even before this most recent scandal.

Unfortunately, it's essentially just going to have a name change - the Sun on Sunday! They're thinking they'll start publishing the Sun 7 days a week, s it will basically be the same rag as NOTW. They've only decided to quit because all their advertisers pulled out, not because they're sorry for anything they've done.

Murdoch and Brooks deserve prison sentences for their pathetic attempt at 'journalism', and as an aspiring journalist this kind of shady business, rotten to the core, upsets me greatly. They're showing no remorse for what they have done, deflecting all blame, just like the rich do to get out of trouble. Full credit to The Guardian who have stuck at this story for a good couple of years and have revealed the dodgy dealings behind this sorry excuse for a newspaper; it makes me happy to say I'm a daily Guardian reader.

If only people would stop buying the paper. I doubt that will every happen thru.

THAT would be the thing to put them permanently out of business!

I had never heard of News of the World before this whole thing was exposed, but I'm not at all surprised by what they did, considering the fact that it's one of Rupert Murdoch's papers. Considering the fact that he also owns Fox News, it seems that he's not overly concerned with actual journalism.

Murdoch and Brooks deserve prison sentences for their pathetic attempt at 'journalism', and as an aspiring journalist this kind of shady business, rotten to the core, upsets me greatly. They're showing no remorse for what they have done, deflecting all blame, just like the rich do to get out of trouble. Full credit to The Guardian who have stuck at this story for a good couple of years and have revealed the dodgy dealings behind this sorry excuse for a newspaper; it makes me happy to say I'm a daily Guardian reader.

I actually quite like The Guardian myself although I only read it online.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that about Winehouse, Raven. Have they said how she died?

It's really a shock of what's gone on in Oslo the past 2 days. I've just now been able to piece together the details and while I thought there were only 17 or 18 people confirmed dead, today the number is up in the 90s and still more are missing. I know that there was a bomb, but then the suspect went on a shooting spree :(. I don't know how many members we have here from Norway, but I know of Hyzenthlay and I hope she and her family are okay.

I understand completely what you mean Kell.

The events in Norway are just overwhelmingly awful and beyond comprehension, impacting many many people. Amy Winehouse's death is sad, but not entirely unexpected.

I heard that about Winehouse, Raven. Have they said how she died?

It's really a shock of what's gone on in Oslo the past 2 days. I've just now been able to piece together the details and while I thought there were only 17 or 18 people confirmed dead, today the number is up in the 90s and still more are missing. I know that there was a bomb, but then the suspect went on a shooting spree :(. I don't know how many members we have here from Norway, but I know of Hyzenthlay and I hope she and her family are okay.

Thanks, peacefield. My family's fine. I haven't heard from everyone yet - I have a few friends I study with who work as EMT's in Oslo that are obviously very busy, but I don't think anyone of them were caught in the crossfire.

It's certainly a huge shock to a small country like mine. The incredible sad thing is that the people shot on the island were kids age 15-25 who were participating in a [Norwegian labour] youth camp... and they were attacked and gunned down by a right-wing extremist on a mission.

All I can say is, and take this as you wish, thank heavens the killer was ethnically Norwegian. There is a growing tendency of racism and islamic hate in my country, and the amount of prejudice I've overheard the past 24 hours is massive. I know that Norway's islamic youth must be breathing a huge collective sigh of relief right now.