In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is scary. I live about 40 mins away from Rothbury, where they think he could be, so I'm not directly in it. But it's still scary. I'm paranoid at the best of times but I've been alone today and got nervous everytime there was a noise. So I've stayed inside too :lol: Hopefully it'll all be over soon. I can't imagine how the people in Rothbury, and those who have kids in schools and can't get home etc, are feeling.

^ I agree. To be honest I think there were really only two possible conclusions to that whole sorry story; either he was going to shoot himself or he was going to provoke the police into shooting him. There was no way he was going to surrender and let them cart him back off to prison. At least this way the police weren't the ones to pull the trigger... although no doubt they will somehow end up getting the blame anyway. I've already heard reporters etc asking the question 'could the police have done more'... everyone just loves someone to blame don't they?!

It was ridiculous that it dragged out for a whole week. Moat apparently said he "couldn't spend the rest of his life in a cell." In that case, don't go around shooting people, you idiot! Might sound harsh, but it would have saved a lot of time, energy and resources if he'd just turned the gun on himself after shooting his ex and her new boyfriend! And their lives would have been saved if, when he told people in prison that when he got out he was going to shoot her and her boyfriend and go after cops, if they had just said, "Well, you're not getting out then - intent to harm and murder!" Why they let him out in the first place is beyond me. :friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that Alex Higgins has died from throat cancer at the age of 61. He was a snooker player. Admittedly I don't know much about him but it seems like a lot of people are upset by the loss, and it's such a tragic way to die that you surely wouldn't wish on anyone.

For some reason I found this local news article rather amusing. Instead of using bullets here in South Dakota our police are now loading their guns with bean bags. :giggle: (Now yes, I know shooting people is not amusing... but just picture a cop chasing a criminal with a bean bag shotgun.)

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=102897

I know this was yesterday

Hotel room damaged

See, now I think that just punishment would be disqualification from the competition! It would certainly deter future contestants from doing the same thing... But then, I can't stand that show and think the people who appear on it are non-entities who will be on screen for 15 minutes (if they're lucky) and then disappear back into obscurity where they belong, I'm sick to death of all these so-called talent shows!

For some reason I found this local news article rather amusing. Instead of using bullets here in South Dakota our police are now loading their guns with bean bags. :giggle: (Now yes, I know shooting people is not amusing... but just picture a cop chasing a criminal with a bean bag shotgun.)

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=102897

I think anyone who has seen the Jackass movies will tell you those beanbags look lethal!

Wikileaks, 91000 documents Anyone had a look at these yet? I gave them a quick look yesterday they look very detailed some of them.

I heard about the Wikileaks thing a few days ago. As much as I hate the idea of the government hiding things, I still think it's incredibly irresponsible for these guys to publish 90,000 classified documents. There's a chance that the soldiers fighting in Afghanistan will be compromised now.

people keep saying that buy I dont really see how? these reports are not going to reveal anything to the enemy they don't already know.

I guess it just worries me. Classified documents are classified for a reason, and I think it's irresponsible (not to mention illegal) to go ahead and publish them.

It has been implied these documents contain evidence of war crimes, surely that type of thing should always be exposed rather than hidden for any reason? I think we may read some very horrible things about the war over the next weeks and months because of these documents and whoever passed them to wikileaks.

It has been implied these documents contain evidence of war crimes, surely that type of thing should always be exposed rather than hidden for any reason? I think we may read some very horrible things about the war over the next weeks and months because of these documents and whoever passed them to wikileaks.

Yes, any evidence of war crimes or misconduct should be revealed, and those guilty should be prosecuted (I say "should be", but we all know they won't). I guess what ruffles my feathers a bit is that a group from another country is messing around with classified U.S. government documents. Part of me wants to say, "Mind your own business!" :giggle: