Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

I know that no one has posted in this thread for a while, but being a newbie I was just searching for some references to the series that I am currently reading, and this was in the results.

Other than the Golden Compass and Eragon which have already been mentioned, the worst adaptation for me was The Time Travellers Wife. Grrrr! Words can't even express how disappointed I was, I did not like the casting of Eric Bana or Rachel McAdams (although I am always stumped when I wonder who would have been better lol!)

I am also nervouse about the rumours of The Dark Tower adaptation. Although in theory it sounds good (especially the suggestion of Javier Bardem as Roland), the fact that Ron Howard is now directing the project disillusions me slightly after what he did to The Da Vinci Code. Was really excited about it when JJ Abrams was in charge!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ok with TTTW adaptation, as I went into it feeling that it would be so difficult to get across what it needed to from the book there would be cuts and changes all over the place, and there was. :lol: My biggest gripe with the film was that I felt it made Clare too weak and pathetic, whereas she is feisty and strong in the book.

Although I've not read the book, I watched the film of The Lovely Bones the other night and was disappointed by it. Loads of friends told me the book is nothing like the film, so bizarrly, watching the film has made me want to read the book!

I also agree with Book Fiend about the cover of books changing to show a picture from the film. The five words that should strike fear into any reader "Now a major motion picture"

Ian

Edited by ian

I agree it shouldn't have been called that title and he could have taken influence's from King's novel, though I guess he didn't want to disrespect King by basically plagiarizing his ideas without consent I guess :motz: He just thought it was too good an opportunity to pass up I think and King righted Kubrick's 'wrongs' when he produced his own adaptation, so there's now two versions which all can enjoy.

I enjoyed both versions Rawr :) I recently watched the new version too.:)

Edited by Weave

Although I've not read the book, I watched the film of The Lovely Bones the other night and was disappointed by it. Loads of friends told me the book is nothing like the film, so bizarrly, watching the film has made me want to read the book!

I read the book ian and I was very disappointed by the film, I never had any major feelings about the book, it was readable but the message behind the book was completely lost in the film because there was just so much CGI! :irked:

I'm afraid I'm still on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum from Rawr in that I still hated Kubrick's version of The Shining. Sorry guys!

I liked it, it was watchable the one time I watched it :giggle: and don't be sorry hen, its your opinion :)

Completely disagree with you still, always, eternally, until the end of time Peace!

Yes Weave, I have read much about that series from various interviews with Mr King where he explains his reasoning, I watched a couple of moments from it a while ago but couldn't get into it, Kubrick's interpretation whilst naturally less accurate is so darn intense and captures that heart of the novel so well even though it doesn't follow exactly. The length I watched from the mini series seemed to have a weird grating kind of corny vibe which completely made me unattached to the experience so I still much prefer the fantastic vision which is the movie.

Edited by Rawr

Wihtout a doubt I would have to say The Clan of the Cave Bear, which was an absolute disaster from start to finish, with no proper dialogue, just grunts which consequently made it impossible to follow. After that disaster, I am not surprised that (to the best of my knowledge) no further films from the Earth's Children series were made.

Edited by Talisman

PS I love you.

I loved the book and could easily rate it as one of my favourite books, it evoked so many different emotions but the film, NAH! They changed so many bits of it and the trouble was, was that I went with two friends that hadn't read the book, so they were very passive and said the film was wonderful, I on the other hand was so angry at how bad it had been made!

Completely disagree with you still, always, eternally, until the end of time Peace!

:P

I don't think I've seen King's version of his book, but possibly bits of it. It obviously wasn't memorable! I will therefore, stick with the book and try not to hold Rawr's love of Kubrick against him ;).

I read The Ruins recently, and then had a good old time laughing at the absurd film version. It was terrible!!

Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

I agree that was a HUGE disappointment. Maybe it's because I grew up in the 1970s, but it seemed to get the completely the opposite of what Arthur Dent was supposed to be. And everything else, come to that.

But the prize for abusing the original book must surely go to the recent 3D Journey to the Centre of The Earth. My favorite book. :(

I detested that book with a passion, so nothing will EVER tempt me to watch that film - LOL

I'm afraid I'm still on the absolute opposite end of the spectrum from Rawr in that I still hated Kubrick's version of The Shining. Sorry guys!

I find Kubrick's The Shining incredibly over-rated. However, I think if they had managed to mix the intensity from that and the slow build-up to madness form the mini-series, we might have had a perfect version...

Unrivalled.

As a film, if you hadn't read the book, it could be quite fun to watch, but I was apalled that they added such nonsense as all that cr@p on the Vogon planet and all the nonsense with Zaphod's head being held to ranson. If they had left those out and stuck to the book, they could have actually filmed the whole book and had the film finish at the same point it does, leaving it open for the rest of the series. One thing I DID like was how they handled the two heads thing - having them one on top of the other, with one being hidden in the clothes was a great get-around to having an extra head on his shoulder. I also did like Sam Rockwell's zany interpretation of the character, but he was stuck in a movie that sucked royally, more's the pity!

The adaptation of V.C. Andrews Flowers in the Attic. OMGosh I HATED that movie! It just...sucked.

I'm not a particular fan of the book (although I read the whole series and otehrs by thay author in my youth), but that was a TERRIBLE adaptation. imean, really, why change so much of it, including the end, leaving yourself absolutely no scope for the posiblility of sequels? It was the very definition of awfulness on every level!

Chocolat has been mentioned - I enjoyed the film and LOVED the book, but I was baffled at the pointless changes they made in the movie.

I Am Legend, well I saw the film and thought it sucked big time .I've not read the book yet, but I keep meaning to. Perhaps I shall bump it up my list of titles to get.

I Am Legend, well I saw the film and thought it sucked big time .I've not read the book yet, but I keep meaning to. Perhaps I shall bump it up my list of titles to get.

I've read the book but not seen the film. IMHO, the book sucked as well, although I understand the ending to the film is even worse than the book. Hard to believe.

Ian

Edited by ian

I'm the opposite - I think I Am Legend is a fabulous book, with one of the most memorable and satisfying endings (which I keep going back to re-read). The film versions, on the other hand, are dreadful.

I'm the opposite - I think I Am Legend is a fabulous book, with one of the most memorable and satisfying endings (which I keep going back to re-read). The film versions, on the other hand, are dreadful.

completely agree...one of my fave books, and one of my least fave movies. I believe they are making a prequel/sequel

Unrivalled.

Seriously, even the film adaption of Dune with the voiceover and the incredible intro had more charm.

But is this film based on the book, or the original radio programmes or the television series????