Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

There are a couple. I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan, but the films they made of the books pretty much suck. An even bigger disappointment was "Time machine" based on Michael Crichton's book. I really loved the book, but the movie is just poor.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago, I watched "the children of the corn" based on a Stephen King short story.... I didn't remember it but clearly considering the movie, you can safely guess at all the things that have been cut out or softened for the audiance...

Very weird to see a pre-Terminator Linda Hamilton there !

There are a couple. I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan, but the films they made of the books pretty much suck. An even bigger disappointment was "Time machine" based on Michael Crichton's book. I really loved the book, but the movie is just poor.

I second Time Machine. Book was good but movie was unwatching with Paul Walker as the lead.

I didn't even bother watching the film adaptation of Eragon as I'd heard so much about how terrible it was :lol:

haha- it wasn't as bad as people made out I don't think... it could have been better but it wasn't the worst thing I've seen!

I loved Blade Runner, but I think it was a far fetched version of Do Andriods Dream... I wish they would re-make it now, but with a truer script. They changed so much in the BR film it was mental. Still, I'm pretty much in love with Harrison Ford, so I can't knock it too much! ;)

His Dark materials by Philip Pullman -> The Golden compass.

Thank God they cancelled the 2nd and 3rd films!

I thought of a few others but as I wrote this they disappeared from my mind :huh:

I actually love the Blade Runner movie. I've never read the book, but the movie soundtrack is gripping and what an amazing performances by the actors, especially by Hauer. The designs of the future city were fascinating, though I'd never like to live in such an environment.

This has to be Blade Runner and the cheesy American ending in the film that wasn't part of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep!

I'm glad I have never seen this movie.

I LOVED the book!

I thought of a few others but as I wrote this they disappeared from my mind :huh:

I agree - they wrecked the movie... I mean, how could they get it SO wrong? the material was already written... bad choice of actors and really poor screenplay adaptation, it's a crime! hehe.

I loved Blade Runner, but I think it was a far fetched version of Do Andriods Dream... I wish they would re-make it now, but with a truer script. They changed so much in the BR film it was mental. Still, I'm pretty much in love with Harrison Ford, so I can't knock it too much! ;)

I actually love the Blade Runner movie. I've never read the book, but the movie soundtrack is gripping and what an amazing performances by the actors, especially by Hauer. The designs of the future city were fascinating, though I'd never like to live in such an environment.

I agree with both the above comments, and even though I think the film is a weak representation of the book, I still love the film (you just have to view it as a film in it's own right). Also - like Samsiren - I was very much in love with Mr Harrison in the Eighties which helped enormously (and let's not forget he was Han Solo and Indiana Jones too!! *Swoon*)

Good call on The Golden Compass, I'd forgotten that one - it was extremely disappointing!

This has to be Blade Runner and the cheesy American ending in the film that wasn't part of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep!

I love the film myself and intend to read the book I have no problem if they are different but which ending do you mean as there are two as it was released twice and they were different one where he picks up the origami unicorn which is the better and the other which is driving into the mountains which is cheesy as hell.

I love the film myself and intend to read the book I have no problem if they are different but which ending do you mean as there are two as it was released twice and they were different one where he picks up the origami unicorn which is the better and the other which is driving into the mountains which is cheesy as hell.

Lol - definitely the driving into the mountains ending! So clichéd it makes me look for the sickbag!! :P

Nooooooooooo! No, no, no, no, NO!!!

Ridley Scott to make new Blade Runner movie

:irked::doh:

<<deep breath, count to ten>>

I saw this thankfully though its not a remake and it won't have Harrison Ford reprising the role of Decker...fingers crossed for it really hope its a dark as the first film

I alos love the movie adaptation of Do Androids Dream of electric sheep - although I havent seen the happy-ending with the voiceover. I only saw the depressing one.

And I think that that movie (on its own) has some wonderful, wonderful moments.... Poetic ones, with the shots of the city, the music, and Roy's monologue.

Twilight is hilariously bad. Then again I don't rate the books either :lurker:

Ooh, I have to agree with this! Awful films... how many wistful, love-lorn looks can these film include!? :lol:

The other poor filmic representation is Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy... I was so looking forward to this as well, but it was very disappointing. Even the TV series with it's wobbly sets was better!

Oh, and I never read Jaws, but I LOVE the film (one of my faves). Has anyone read it and if so was it better than the film?

Yes, it was very good and I felt it was much better than the movie.

As to which movie I would vote as worst ever from a book, I must disagree with a previous poster and say that Dune is by far the worst adaptation I have ever seen in my life. I read the book and then watched the movie within a few days of each other, I was so disappointed that if I hadn't been watching it with another person at the time I would have just turned it off.

I must disagree with a previous poster and say that Dune is by far the worst adaptation I have ever seen in my life.

Ooh, good call. I'd managed to blot it from my mind, I think. It spent two hours on the first half of the book, then ten minutes on the second half. Pretty poor casting as well. It's one of my favourite books, though.

Re Jaws - the film is quite different from the book, isn't it? Whole sub-plots didn't make it to the film, and Spielberg was still rewriting the script while they were filming, mainly cos the mechanical shark wouldn't do what he wanted it to (which ended up working in the film's favour!), so it changed quite markedly. The book's well worth reading. I still love the film, though.