Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end I don't care about the little things or plots they get wrong, as long as the feelings and characters are done well I'm happy. If they're not, that's when I pick on all the little things as well. ;)

• 4 months later...
I've heard the new Harry Potter differs a lot from the book

Ive not read the books, which I plan to soon :D.

But my friends who I went to see the film with said they were very dissapionted in the films, because they missed alot out.

Ive heard this alot about the HP films:blush:.

The film adaptation of Chris Cleave's 'Incendiary' was dire, couldn't stand 'Atonement' (but Keira Knightley does tend to ruin everything she's in) and I was disappointed by 'Slumdog Millionaire' (unlike everyone else on the planet). Have a feeling of dread about the upcoming film version of 'Shantaram' (starring the one and only Johnny 'phew nobody's sussed how average I really am at this acting lark' Depp.....) unless the author is directly involved in the screenplay....fingers crossed....:D

But my friends who I went to see the film with said they were very dissapointed in the films, because they missed alot out.

Ive heard this alot about the HP films:blush:.

I believe that 6 was much better than, say,4.

couldn't stand 'Atonement' (but Keira Knightley does tend to ruin everything she's in)

Completely disagree. I thought it was maybe the best adaptation I've seen and I think Keira Knightley to be a very talented actress.

I believe that 6 was much better than, say,4.

Completely disagree. I thought it was maybe the best adaptation I've seen and I think Keira Knightley to be a very talented actress.

Oh well, each to their own- are you her mum...sister...auntie? :) hee hee!

Edited by Mysterioso

Don't get me started on the badness that was Chocolat. That movie should not have had that title at all and after reading then watching the movie I think I made me Mum deaf with my ranting :).

The thing that pissed me off the most...

In the film Johnny Depp ends up with the lead character but in the book he has a love affair with the older woman who stood up to the thug of a husband. Probably wouldn't have bothered me if it was someone other than Lena Olin. She is one of my major girl crushes and the chemistry between her and Depp is awesome. Why change that?

My other rage would have to be Flowers in the Attic. The book was disturbingly brilliant but the film was... bad :).

i strongly felt that the Golden Compass film didn't do the book any justice what so ever. I enjoyed the book alot, but found the film was really lacking the same magic!

I have to agree with you. The book was amazing! The film wasn't too good however :D

I haven't read or seen The Golden Compass (yet); however, if my fourteen-year-old cousin can come to the independent conclusion that "the book was so much better", then it probably was.

The books are fantastic BJ! You should definitely add them to your wishlist :D

Oh, they're already there (it is, after all, quite a humongous wishlist...)!

Well after my 'friend' borrowed all three books from me and didn't return them (:D) I now only have the first book, but if you'd like to borrow it I don't mind sending it onto you? :lol: The others are on my 'to buy' list so I could also send you those when I get them.

They're so great!

Without a shadow of a doubt, The Golden Compass comes close to winning the award of 'Worst book to film', in my opinion. The trilogy, His Dark Materials is my favourite of all time. I watched the film without any expectations, because undoubtedly I expected it to not come close. However, even I was disappointed. The film ruins the book in my opinion and I strongly advise people not to see the film whilst I'm advising them to read the novels.

Well after my 'friend' borrowed all three books from me and didn't return them (:lol:) I now only have the first book, but if you'd like to borrow it I don't mind sending it onto you? :lol: The others are on my 'to buy' list so I could also send you those when I get them.
I thank you for your kind offer but will have to gracefully decline, as I'm pretty terrible at returning books as well :lol: that's why, in an effort to be noble, I strive not to borrow at all :D! I'd hate to join the ranks of your "friends". The series is fairly high up on my wishlist anyway so as soon as I'm less destitute it'll find their way off my wishlist and onto my shelf...

I thank you for your kind offer but will have to gracefully decline, as I'm pretty terrible at returning books as well :lol: that's why, in an effort to be noble, I strive not to borrow at all :D! I'd hate to join the ranks of your "friends". The series is fairly high up on my wishlist anyway so as soon as I'm less destitute it'll find their way off my wishlist and onto my shelf...

Well if you change your mind, the offer's always open! :lol:

I have a feeling in a few weeks I'll be coming into this thread and screaming 'DORIAN GRAY!!!' :D

I saw the trailer for this on TV the other day and I'm interested in seeing it. I've never read the book so will probably be less disappointed :lol:

I was very disappointed with the half blood prince. it didn't explain what half blood prince means, the storylines were all over the place and... the ending :D

I thought Twilight was pretty bad. Felt really rushed. I doubt I will go to see New Moon.

I have read Dorian Gray and I'm planning on seeing it on Wednesday. I am not sure what to think of the trailer.

The Other Boleyn Girl was pretty bad too.

I saw the trailer for this on TV the other day and I'm interested in seeing it. I've never read the book so will probably be less disappointed :lol:

I've never read the book either but I thought the trailer looked good. I don't know what to expect so it probably will be better for me :lol:

Yeah, it's not ACTUALLY in any way a horror story. It's a classic satire. I think they're pumping up the gothic horror element, which is secondary in the book.

What'll happen now is loads of people will go see this 'gothic horror' movie, having no idea about the original book, then go read the original book and dismiss poor ole Oscar. :D

Edited by Nollaig