Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaws was a good book....but I too loved the movie....it's just good cheesy fun

Blimey - I remember pinching this off my dad's bookshelf when I was about 10. Good book, but, as anyone who has read it knows, there is a sex scene in the middle that is completely inappropriate for a 10yo! I remember being completely confused, but not so naive as to ask my dad about it!

Bit off topic - sorry about that

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say Micheal Crichton's The Lost World, I left the cinema saying, I don't know what book they read, but it wasn't the same one as me. Also, I know I should wait before I judge, but, I think the adaptation of One Shot by Lee Child is going to be awful. I just think Tom Cruise is the WRONG person to play the part. So again, I don't know what books the casting directors etc read but it wasn't the same one as me :(

Queen of the Damned. I love Anne Rice, this just made me depressed.

Both the vampire chronicles films were completely different from the books. Strangely, going on film alone, I atually preferred Queen of the Damned, purely because it had Stuart Townsend and great music. However the opulent lok of Interview was rather gorgeous. Either way, that doesn't excuse the film makers trampling all over the books. In the case of the books, I thought the stories were great, but I don't rate Rice's actual writing and I gave up ni the series after about the 5th book - I just couldn't wade through her style of prose any more...

I would have to say Micheal Crichton's The Lost World, I left the cinema saying, I don't know what book they read, but it wasn't the same one as me. Also, I know I should wait before I judge, but, I think the adaptation of One Shot by Lee Child is going to be awful. I just think Tom Cruise is the WRONG person to play the part. So again, I don't know what books the casting directors etc read but it wasn't the same one as me :(

Yep - he's about two foot too short for a start!

Ian

I have no idea how to quote, so I don't know if this works, but in reply to Ian, yeah he is 2 foot too short, he is too smarmy, I can't see him as an ex military policeman. I think Jack Reacher will suddenly become more like the mission impossible character and I could go on and on but I won't. It is along the lines of why I was unhappy with the casting in Interview with the Vampire and oh look same actor haha.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know...

Most recent.. has to be Water for Elephants. It's not that the movie was bad.. it was the ending. I was in tears at the end of the book (not going to give anything away) and the end of the movie had no where near that punch. I think they missed out on an incredible chance. Who knows?? Maybe it is the type of ending one can only create with words.

cheers..

twingijon

East of Eden should never have been made into a film. Even if it did have an amazing performance from James Dean in it. The book is such an epic story that it was doomed as a film as even the best director in the world couldn't possibly fit the whole plot into a couple of hours of film.

Hi Sadya. I read EOE before I watched the film. The film is various parts of the book clumsily cobbled together. There were some great acting performances but the characters in the book are so much better constructed. The film begins at the point where if you were reading the book you would already be three thirds through it. I can't recommend the book thouroughly enough. In my opinion (which doesn't count for much) I would class East of Eden as one of the greatest artisitc achievements of the last century. Its that good.

Hi Sadya. I read EOE before I watched the film. The film is various parts of the book clumsily cobbled together. There were some great acting performances but the characters in the book are so much better constructed. The film begins at the point where if you were reading the book you would already be three thirds through it. I can't recommend the book thouroughly enough. In my opinion (which doesn't count for much) I would class East of Eden as one of the greatest artisitc achievements of the last century. Its that good.

Sorry, that should read "two thirds through it" "not three thirds through it." I apologise for my apalling maths!

Haven't read through the whole thread, but I'd have to vote for Prince of Tides as the absolute worst movie made from a book.

Prince of Tides may be my all time favorite book, and they just totally destroyed it when they made the movie. Left big chuns out, changed how it ended,and picked the absolute worst people to play the main roles. not how you'd picture them looking at all .

Best movie from a book _ Lonesome Dove .McMurtry signed a deal stating he had full control over how the book was portrayed on film,and it matched so closely, you could have read along with the book while watching the movie . Exact sentences were used . Great choice of characters.. just perfect .

Sorry, that should read "two thirds through it" "not three thirds through it." I apologise for my apalling maths!

That's allright, my maths is even worse! Thanks for the comparison. I'll keep that in mind when I finally begin reading the book and watch that movie again.

Ooh, I have to agree with this! Awful films... how many wistful, love-lorn looks can these film include!? :lol:

I also agree. Both main characters are going out in real life, but they have the sexual chemistry of two wooden planks!

• 3 weeks later...