The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched several films lately, all excellent. The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Butler and Mr Pip. Mr Pip is outstanding, Hugh Laurie never disappoints me.

Ooh I forgot about Mr Pip .. I did like the book .. must seek that out :)

I recently decided to revisit David Ficher after seeing Gone Girl at the flicks last weekend--which I thought was a dark, very well-crafted thriller, but considered the ending a disappointed--and watched The Game. Absolutely fantastic exploration of human limitation with typically Fincher-esque tension throughout. I'd still likely put S7even, Zodiac, Fight Club and The Social Network above it in terms of his catalogue, but still a truly wonderful piece of cinema.

Ghostbusters

In the cinema, on a 30th Anniversary release.

Whilst it is still a good film, with laughs-a-plenty, it's not quite as slick as the memory remembers and Venkman - funny though Murray is - really is a bit of an obnoxious sh*t.

I can't see the planned third film working on any level - let it go . . .

Edited by Raven

I just saw Fury. I wasn't very impressed. The film had no sort of heart in it unlike Saving Private Ryan or some others I could name. Brad Pitt's character actually made no sense he would say and act one way in some scenes and then seem to have the complete opposite motivation in the next scene. All rather pointless. And what upset me the most the tank tactics were completely wrong. Like the filmmakers hadn't done the most basic research. Very disappointed. :negative:

I think it is kind of an insult to people who  did fight through the war and did their best to remain as moral as they could under the circumstances.

This would bother my boyfriend a lot too!

Has anybody ever seen The Fall? Such a beautiful film, a real labour of love. I think it took about 5 years to make and all the locations are real (not cgi) which is more astounding.

This looks lovely. :) I must seek it out.

Solaris (again) and The Quick And The Dead (again) and Apocalypto (again)

Solaris is such a fantastic film I get completely engrossed in the reactions of the copy of George Clooney's dead wife who suddenly finds herself alive again and George Clooney's reactions too at having a second chance.

Solaris (again) and The Quick And The Dead (again) and Apocalypto (again)

Solaris is such a fantastic film I get completely engrossed in the reactions of the copy of George Clooney's dead wife who suddenly finds herself alive again and George Clooney's reactions too at having a second chance.

Have you seen the 1972 version? Much, much better.

Have you seen the 1972 version? Much, much better.

Hi Ben! No, I haven't. I have heard it is sort of ponderous, though and that Soderbergh's version is closer to the original novel in spirit although more emotional. I guess the metaphysical possibilities of consciousness in the film are what captivates me. i.e  that we exist somewhere in time and space outside our bodies. Does the 72 film have those elements?    

I just saw Fury. I wasn't very impressed. The film had no sort of heart in it unlike Saving Private Ryan or some others I could name. Brad Pitt's character actually made no sense he would say and act one way in some scenes and then seem to have the complete opposite motivation in the next scene. All rather pointless. And what upset me the most the tank tactics were completely wrong. Like the filmmakers hadn't done the most basic research. Very disappointed. :negative:

I think it is kind of an insult to people who  did fight through the war and did their best to remain as moral as they could under the circumstances.

Would annoy my hubby too...he is a stickler for detail when it comes to tanks and planes etc in war movies. My son is going to see it tomorrow with some mates...see what he makes of it.

I watched a few recently.

Re-animator - Great film, just enough cheese and humour.

Nosferatu - The 1979 Herzog version. I really liked the angle he plays that the vampire is a lonely soul who misses love more than anything. I still think the original is one of the creepiest movies ever made.

Miami Connection - So bad it's good 80s action film about a band (who are all black belts in taekwondo) who take on gangs and motorcycle ninjas. Hilarious, and the music is something else!

We watched Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones recently. We're planning on watching the other four films soon as well. I haven't seen these in a long time, it's fun to see them again.