The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

Does your boyfriend want to see it?  Seems like he is into them too?

Yes, he does :).

Yesterday we watched X-men: Days of Future Past, which was quite nice :). Neither of us had heard a lot about this film, but we liked the other X-men films that we saw, this one was good too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday we watched X-men: Days of Future Past, which was quite nice :). Neither of us had heard a lot about this film, but we liked the other X-men films that we saw, this one was good too.

Did you like Jennifer Lawrence?

Did you like Jennifer Lawrence?

Yes! I thought she did a good job :). It's pretty good how she can play different characters in different films, I quite liked seeing her in this film (plus.. blue is my favourite colour.). I also really liked the character of Peter (I think his name was Peter), he was quite funny.

Tim and Brian, I totally understand your love for Interstellar now. I saw it last night and loved it! I was on the edge of my seat quite a bit, which pretty much never happens with movies, and it wasn't even because of action scenes. At nearly three hours in length, the time just flew by. I think it might just be one of my favourite sci-fi movies ever; it reminded me of 2001 and Contact in places. But yes, there were a few minor plot holes and annoyances. I guess they're difficult to avoid in movies of this scale (or maybe I'm just happy to excuse them because the movie was mostly so brilliant). I always wish wormhole/space scenes in movies would go longer (instead of a couple of seconds and then cutting back to the spaceship/actors). I think Kubrick would have done that better. I always want more time to immerse myself in space!

Brian, I'm curious to know which scene in particular bothered you?

Interstellar sounds really good!

Anna, I really liked Divergent, I hope you like it too :).

I've seen it enough to watch it in bed while falling asleep lol  After The Fault in Our Stars, I'm beginning to think I will watch ANYTHING with Shailene Woodley in it!  She was just at the Hollywood Film Awards ceremony, where she won an award for TFiOS.

"At 16 years old, [my character] recognizes it's not about how long a life we lead or the mark we leave on the world that matters,” Woodley said after receiving the Hollywood Breakout Performance Actress award. “It's about simple things like gratitude and not taking anything for granted."

She was awesome!

I really want to watch TFiOS sometime soon, but it will depend on my tiredness and when my boyfriend feels like it. I've given him an 'ultimatum', if he hasn't wanted to watch it in a month, I'll be watching it on my own :giggle2::P.

:giggle2: He might even cry.

Tim and Brian, I totally understand your love for Interstellar now. I saw it last night and loved it! I was on the edge of my seat quite a bit, which pretty much never happens with movies, and it wasn't even because of action scenes. At nearly three hours in length, the time just flew by. I think it might just be one of my favourite sci-fi movies ever;.

Glad you agree! There are quite a few freaks differently-minded people who didn't enjoy it :o.

What were the things that annoyed you?

There are always some people who have to be wrong have a different opinion, I guess. :D

The things that bothered me were relatively minor:

I thought the robots were a bit too big and impractical (clunky) for a futuristic movie, although they seemed to move well enough when needed! They had some great lines though. :) I read afterwards that they were based on the monoliths from 2001, so I'm a bit more forgiving now.

Secondly, around 30 years passed from when we first learnt of the dust-bowl conditions on earth to when the son had grown up and had a family of his own. But in that time, the conditions didn't seem to change (worsen), even though we were led to believe that his generation would be the last. Also, his wife and child were deathly ill from the dust, but the son seemed to have no health problems whatsoever, and he had been living in these conditions his entire life!

Also, I know the daughter was really upset with her father for leaving, but not sending him a video for 30 years?! Come on! Talk about punishing him!

Tim and Brian, I totally understand your love for Interstellar now. I saw it last night and loved it! I was on the edge of my seat quite a bit, which pretty much never happens with movies, and it wasn't even because of action scenes. At nearly three hours in length, the time just flew by. I think it might just be one of my favourite sci-fi movies ever; it reminded me of 2001 and Contact in places. But yes, there were a few minor plot holes and annoyances. I guess they're difficult to avoid in movies of this scale (or maybe I'm just happy to excuse them because the movie was mostly so brilliant). I always wish wormhole/space scenes in movies would go longer (instead of a couple of seconds and then cutting back to the spaceship/actors). I think Kubrick would have done that better. I always want more time to immerse myself in space!

Brian, I'm curious to know which scene in particular bothered you?

The scene with when Cooper is caught in the 5th dimensional place where he can hit the books which then fall out in Murph's room. I thought that it was a clunky way to explain and tie together the story. Although there are some scientific holes elsewhere they really didn't detract from the movie and I felt that it flowed really well up until that point. To be fair to Nolan, I'm not sure how else that part of the story could have been solved.

Its a minor thing and I'm considering going to watch it again on an iMax screen in the next few weeks.

Edited by Brian.

I would love to see it at the Imax.

I thought the robots were useless at first as well, but I ended up thinking they were pretty awesome!

It is true what you say about the dust, but it doesn't really show or explain enough about what happened on earth in the 30 years or about his Son's health to judge too harshly. By that I mean it could be explained by what we don't see :shrug:

I really loved the scene where he is in the 5th dimension, I though they did a great job of tying the film together and exploring an abstract concept.

Edited by Timstar

Yesterday we watched The Fault in Our Stars, it was really good :). It was very moving. I knew what was going to happen since I read the book but it was really well done and there were quite a few funny moments too. The actors did a really good job. I thought it was also really nice John Green (the author of the book) made an appearance in the film. And there's a great deleted scene on my Blu-ray, that has him talking to the characters and apologising for writing them this way :lol:.

Tomorrow, a day ahead of the official release of Mockingjay, a local cinema will be showing Hunger Games, Catching Fire and then Mockingjay all as one package ticket!  I get to go and am so excited!   :exc:

Tomorrow, a day ahead of the official release of Mockingjay, a local cinema will be showing Hunger Games, Catching Fire and then Mockingjay all as one package ticket!  I get to go and am so excited!   :exc:

I hope you have lots of fun :exc:! Do tell us what you thought of the film(s) when you're back :).