Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

This is how my weekend´s reading has gone so far:

I´ve read 279 pages of ´The Importance of Being Seven´by Alexander McCall Smith (which I finished today) and the remaining 27 % of ´The Summer of France´by Paulita Kincer

Now I can´t decide what to read this evening.....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great progress for most people :)!

My progress this time:

Friday 06-09-2013:

1 h, 12%, ~ 43 pages, Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human

1 h 40 mins, pg 123-236, Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing

45 min, 106 pages, Maeve Binchy - Star Sullivan

20 mins, 82 pages, Roald Dahl - Fantasic Mr. Fox

45 mins, 53 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights

Saturday 07-09-2013:

50 mins, 10%, ~ 36 pages, Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human

60 mins, 94 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights

Sunday 08-09-2013:

30 mins, 29 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights (I didn't read the preview of her next book, I'll buy it anyway)

50 mins, 149 pages, Banana Yoshimoto - Hardboiled & Hard Luck

2 h 15 mins, 205 pages, W.J. Burley - Wycliffe 13: Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin

Overall statistics:

Amount of Books finished: 6 (1 started before the read-a-thon)

Amount of Books unfinished: 1 (started before the read-a-thon)

Total Reading Time: 9 h 55 mins

Total Amount of Pages: ~705

Not as good as my first read-a-thon, though time-wise it comes close. I have to admit, I lost quite a bit of time taking lots of notes, for example books recommended that I wanted to check out later or writing down what I thought of a book or short story. I was quite tired from input before I started and reading is input too (albeit not nearly as tiring as sounds or watching ie. a TV show). I think it might've been better if I'd read less short stories and more novels but I kind of like reading the short stories or novellas for the read-a-thon. It's something I don't normally read a lot of, the read-a-thon inspires me in that sense. Also when a book is quite epic, I need more time to process plot twists, so it'd make it harder to read more in a shorter amount of time.

Overall I had a lot of fun :)!

Great progress for most people :)!

My progress this time:

Friday 06-09-2013:

1 h, 12%, ~ 43 pages, Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human

1 h 40 mins, pg 123-236, Susan Hill - Howards End is on the Landing

45 min, 106 pages, Maeve Binchy - Star Sullivan

20 mins, 82 pages, Roald Dahl - Fantasic Mr. Fox

45 mins, 53 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights

Saturday 07-09-2013:

50 mins, 10%, ~ 36 pages, Temple Grandin - Animals Make Us Human

60 mins, 94 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights

Sunday 08-09-2013:

30 mins, 29 pages, Penny Vincenzi - Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights (I didn't read the preview of her next book, I'll buy it anyway)

50 mins, 149 pages, Banana Yoshimoto - Hardboiled & Hard Luck

2 h 15 mins, 205 pages, W.J. Burley - Wycliffe 13: Wycliffe and the Quiet Virgin

Overall statistics:

Amount of Books finished: 6 (1 started before the read-a-thon)

Amount of Books unfinished: 1 (started before the read-a-thon)

Total Reading Time: 9 h 55 mins

Total Amount of Pages: ~705

Not as good as my first read-a-thon, though time-wise it comes close. I have to admit, I lost quite a bit of time taking lots of notes, for example books recommended that I wanted to check out later or writing down what I thought of a book or short story. I was quite tired from input before I started and reading is input too (albeit not nearly as tiring as sounds or watching ie. a TV show). I think it might've been better if I'd read less short stories and more novels but I kind of like reading the short stories or novellas for the read-a-thon. It's something I don't normally read a lot of, the read-a-thon inspires me in that sense. Also when a book is quite epic, I need more time to process plot twists, so it'd make it harder to read more in a shorter amount of time.

Overall I had a lot of fun :)!

SIX books that´s amazing!! Here´s how my weeknd finally finished:

Friday- 127 Pages of ´The Importance of Being Seven´by Alexander McCall Smith

Saturday-117 Pages of ´The Importance of Being Seven´by Alexander McCall Smith

Sunday- 45 Pages of ´The Importance of Being Seven´by Alexander McCall Smith (Finished)

The remaining 27% of ´Summer of France´by Paulita Paulita Kincer

The first 20 pages of ´The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo´by Stieg Larsson (before I gave it up, I think I will not enjoy reading this)

Overall Page count: 309 Pages and 27%

I haven´t done quite as well in page count as last month. I think ´Strictly Come Dancing´and ´Stepping Out´are partly to blame for this!

It was especially interesting last time, as it was a book we both might have given up on if we hadn't been reading together! It would be lovely if we could organise a joint read in future. :smile2:

Irony, Joke, Ha, Ha, Bah Humbug

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be carrying on with Ann Cleeve's Vera, Not sure how much I'll read, but I should manage at least 1. I think the rest are about 400 pages compared to TCT which was 535 pages.

Hey Athena

Would it be ok if you could put the dates that the Readathon Weekend is on ? Is it always a specific weekend or one a month, or how does it work ?

I seem to always miss the boat ,then read later on about it .

Maybe I can try joining in sometime  . My Get Up and Go has Got Up and Left ,but maybe I'll have a lucky weekend when I have some steam .

It's usually the first friday of the month, so because monday is the 30th of September then it's the end of next week 4th , 5th, 6th October. A three day readathon on the first full weekend of the month.

Dex is right, it's always the first Friday of the month, in October it'll be Friday 4th Saturday 5th Sunday 6th. I've edited the first post in this topic to include this, I hope this helps you :)? I can't seem to edit the topic title so if you want that done then I'll ask the mods.

In my opinion you should read what you feel like reading :), if you can't decide though then it gets difficult. I'm glad you'll be joining us! I hope it will be fun :).

I've lined up a couple of shorter books that I plan on reading (and re-reading in the case of some). I don't know how far I'll get but we'll have to see. The pile is a combination of several genres, with a few children's books included (ie. I've again included a Roald Dahl book).

EDIT: Because a picture is worth 110 words:

DSCN0768_cut_0.25.jpg

Or:

Veronica Henry - A Sea Change

Roald Dahl - The BFG

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 1: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 3: The Truth About Stacey

R. L. Stine - Fear Street 49: Into the Dark

Arthur C. Clarke - The Other Side of the Sky

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 2: De Cock en de Dartelende Weduwe

Thomas R. Hart - It Takes A Wizard (The Complete Saga) (one of these two)

Ilya - The Mammoth Book Of Best New Manga 3 (one of these two)

Anita Naik - Lekker Makkelijk Gezond Leven

Carry Slee - Afblijven

Octavius Black - The Mindgym 1: Denk Buiten de Kaders

I'll see what I feel like on the days though, I'm planning to get through the first few at least but after that I'll have to see what I feel like reading :).

Edited by Athena

So Athena

Do you usually choose a bunch of books and just switch up and read a bit from each one, or do you read a whole pick, then pick another ....are you guys attempting to log number of pages, number of books, number of hours ? Or does everyone just tally up their own ideas of what they want to accomplish ?

I've only ever participated in one other _______- A-thon . I was a teen and our church youth group was raising money for a charity, and we had a 24 hour Rock-a-thon . We all met at the church and had borrowed rocking chairs for all the kids and we had like a slumber-party type event ,where we all came with snacks, games and fun stuff to keep us busy ,etc .

We got people to pledge a certain amount of money per hour that we kept rocking , then collected all our money once the hours were tallied up .

That was fun  :) 

We tend to do odd things around here for money . For our graduating nursing class, we worked for a chicken farmer and "picked chickens) . In other words, the chickens that were getting transferred from the henhouse to the dinner table needed yanked out of their pens and put in huge pens to go to that great big Chicken House in the Sky .

We got a certain amount of money per chicken ,and did it 3 times to earn enough for all the food ,decorations, etc for our graduation party .

That was also fun .. :)