Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I'm planning on reading a couple of crime reads, Stuart McBride's Close to the Bone and either Poppet by Mo Hayder or The Lost Boy by Camilla Lackberg.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got about 60 books on my tbr and most of them are sets,So I'm going to read some singles that I've been putting off.

It might be just you and me, Dtr. I'm looking forward to reading my pile.

Looks like I can join in too!  Not sure what I will read- I am currently STILL searching for a book for now!

I will also be participating in next weekend's read-a-thon; you can count on it.  And, seeing as how it will be my first read-a-thon here on Book Club Forum  I've deliberately set aside the three days and not made any plans for them.  Well, apart from having to work on Friday that is, which sucks!  Stupid job!  But other than that - and barring any last minute plans - I'm planning on reading pretty much every spare minute I have.  As far as my reading choice goes... well, I have a few books in mind but a lot of it will depend on how I'm feeling at the time.  But read I will!

Wonderful!  I did that in March and got quite a bit of reading done.  In April I was quite busy & unwell so I only read one book and a short story.  This coming weekend, though, I think I'm going to have time to read quite a bit.  I have a good TBR stack going by my bedside.  I won't get through it all by any means, but I'm a mood reader, so I like to have a variety on hand.  Here's the assortment so far:

Mystery:  Murder on the Orient Express (giving Christie another go)

Classic:  Anna Karenina (places challenge) and Tom Sawyer (re-read)

Biography:  The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C.S. Lewis

Short Story:  The Pomegranate Lady and Her Sons by Goli Taraghi and a new story by Jason Gurley

Literary Fiction:  This is a tough one because I have about six choices.  Hmm...

I think I would like a light-hearted something on hand, too.  Something like The Rosie Project or The Humans by Matt Haig would be nice.  Any suggestions?

I didn't realise we had to register a week before. I'm certainly taking part as well!

Oh no, you don't have to at all.  There's usually a bit of chatter leading up to one, and it had been comparatively quiet.  Until recently, that is.  ;)  Athena had posted about it coming up, and I believe I was the only one who responded.  I think that's what might have given the impression.  I'm so excited that there are so many doing it and even more excited that I'm going to be free.  :D

I hope to join the one next weekend, should only have about 3 hours plan on Saturday and maybe something Friday evening.

Wonderful!  Do you have any books picked out yet?

Oh no, you don't have to at all.  There's usually a bit of chatter leading up to one, and it had been comparatively quiet.  Until recently, that is.   ;) Athena had posted about it coming up, and I believe I was the only one who responded.  I think that's what might have given the impression.  I'm so excited that there are so many doing it and even more excited that I'm going to be free.   :D

In another book forum we do quite the same as a read-a-thon, but we just open a thread on Friday. But I like a bit of a chatter before as well.

In another book forum we do quite the same as a read-a-thon, but we just open a thread on Friday. But I like a bit of a chatter before as well.

It does build some excitement, doesn't it?  It's rather casual around here, I think, and just for fun.  Some post progress throughout the weekend and some wait until it's over.

Not yet; I'll have to see what I read this week and choose Friday...though I'm never good at choosing in advance!

I can never decide in advance because I'm a mood reader.  That's why I built up such a big stack ahead of time.

Edited by dtrpath27

I think it's very nice more people are joining :). Dtr is right, you don't have to sign up or anything, I was just curious if anyone was interested this time. I have my usual pile of short(er) books lined up.

Shatter The Bones - Stuart Macbride

I've read 41 pages so far in 1hr. I was already reading it.

Shatter The Bones - Stuart Macbride RR 30th - 1st P.185

Readathon 2nd -3rd May

Friday

P.186 - 227, 1 Hour ,

Saturday

P.228 - 306, 1 Hour 10
P.307 - 376, 1 Hour

P.377 - 453, 1 Hour 20

4 1\2 Hours for  268 Pages

Edited by dex

Here's my progress:

Friday 01-05-2014

45 mins, 111 pages, Sheila O'Flanagan - Follow Me

10 mins, 57 pages, Roald Dahl - The Magic Finger

1h 5 mins, 132 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 13: Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye

1h 55 mins, 189 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 3: Een Dief in de Nacht

1h 5 mins, 83 pages, Harry Mulisch - Twee Vrouwen

Total: 5h, 572 pages

Overall I read more than I thought I had. I was (am) feeling tired, so I wasn't really feeling up for doing lots of reading. It felt like I read less than I did. I enjoyed reading the books I did read, though, even if it tired me even more than I already was. I don't know, I guess I'm just not really in the mood or something. I do feel like reading but I don't feel like solely doing that (if that makes sense?). I had fun though in the end so that's good.

Dex, are you enjoying Shatter The Bones?

A bit late, but happy reading! 

I'll be doing a half read-a-thon as unfortunately I have some studying to do today, but most of my afternoon and tomorrow should be spent reading. 

Currently reading "Life, the Universe, and Everything" by Douglas Adams. 

Here's what I got up to yesterday:

Friday 2nd May 
Emerald Isle by Barbara Annino 
27 minutes - pages 212-250
35 minutes - pages 251-317 (finished)

Strands: A Year of Disccoveries on the Beach by Jean Sprackland 
19 minutes - pages xi-xii, 1-15
40 minutes - pages 15-46
127 minutes - pages 46-142
40 minutes - pages 143-178

Not sure if I'll have as much time today as have a few errands to run, but I'll try and fit some in, although my neighbours have been disrupting possible reading time with loud television, rows and barking dogs :irked:  Will need to put some music on to drown them out!