Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't read, I can't read, my family is driving me insane and I can't read. :wacko:

Oh dear that's awful. Can't you lock them in a cupboard until you've finished your book :giggle2:

I'm still struggling to get my Philip Kerr book finished. Like you Pixie family keep getting in the way! I downloaded a Scott Mariani book yesterday for 49p (The Shadow Project). I've ordered p/backs of Clochemerle; Between Shades of Grey; Far to Go and from the library I took out The Enemy's Cradle. Hmmmm now when to read them all .............. :blush:

mocking.gif Oops, Chrissy! The staff at Tesco must not be packing their shelves very well. ;)

I received a wonderful package from Frankie today which included two books: Welcome to Higby by Mark Dunn and Stewart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters. Thanks Frankie! :)

I also received a book in the mail: Allen GInsberg's The Book of Martyrdom & Artifice: First Journals and Poems 1937-1952.

I had a bit of time to kill before catching my train home, so I called into a bookshop and bought The Best of HP Lovecraft. I've been really wanting to read Lovecraft for a long time but have had absolutely no luck finding anything by him at book fairs or secondhand bookshops. Needless to say, I was thrilled to find this collection (for a real bargain!) The best thing is, it includes the story I've been wanting to read the most: The Call of Cthulhu. :D

I may have also placed a large order for books on the Better World Books website. blush.gif I've never bought anything from them before, but I have a friend who has said that they're good. I love that they have free shipping worldwide (I think that's new because I'm sure it wasn't there last time I looked) and the profits go towards various literacy programs around the world. They also have an option to contribute an extra 45 cents towards a carbon offset program, which is a nice idea.

In not-so-good book activity, my cat Jasper got into my library again and has pushed books around and pulled some off shelves. rolleyes.gif Oh well, I can't be too annoyed because I rather like playing around with my books and putting them in order again.

Oh, and my Dad called into IKEA and bought me a new bookcase! Woohoo! Once I set it up my library will be complete. :D

In between all that book activity, I also managed to make a start on Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm, which I think I'm going to quite enjoy.

There's a distinct possibility that Linwood Barclay's 'Never Look Away' and Karin Slaughter's 'Broken' fell into my Tesco shopping basket at 6.30 this morning. Oops! :D

Books and sweets are always falling into my basket :smile2:

I have today received a book that agreed to swap the trouble is I have ended up with a book with the right title but alas the wrong author :doh: I only have myself to blame

Yesterday I got 2 books from ebay. I haven't got books from ebay for a long time because new postal size and weight stuff bumped up the postage too much but now charity shop books are getting expensive too and was just browsing on their generally and found Dreams of My Father and The Brontes Went to Woolworths reasonably priced with free postage apparently both in like new condition too :D

Edited by Easy Reader

I won the summer reading compition and the books arrived today :D I'll list what I won over on my reading list!

In other book news I'm still enjoying The Lord of The Rings, its fantastic, I cannot put it down once I pick it up!

I spent a few hours doing some gardening today, so listened to my fabulous audio of 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. It is read by Lyndam Gregory, who does a fantastic job. I am as entranced as I was when I first read the book. Now I am back indoors (and aching!) I will dig back into 'American Gods'.

Have now reorganised my bookshelves (again) after bringing all those 33 books home from Helsinki. It took me some hours but now I'm quite content. I think in the future I'll need to read more books, and buy less :blush:

Have also continued with Slam by Nick Hornby. It's totally different from what I expected but then again, that's part of the attraction with Hornby. Might be able to finish the book off tonight.

Read some more of A Handful of Honey today, and then couldn't resist a few Kindle purchases:

Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

Passion by Lauren Kate

Mr Lonely by Eric Morecambe

Unfortunately, my TBR number seems to be creeping up again. :blush: At least I'm trying to read some of the books that have been on it for quite a while now (e.g. A Handful of Honey which I bought in 2008!)

Unfortunately, my TBR number seems to be creeping up again. :blush: At least I'm trying to read some of the books that have been on it for quite a while now (e.g. A Handful of Honey which I bought in 2008!)

:lol: Oh, I know that feeling! I've just found a book about George W Bush (remember him, anyone?) that I remember buying in 2005 - well, it was topical then ....

I'm still reading 'The Redbreast' am now about 1/3 of the way through it and am finding it hard to keep up with whats going on between the 2 time zones. It's a bit like reading 2 books at once. But am sticking with it.

I had this problem too. Don't worry - it doesn't do that through the whole book. :)

Picked up a copy of Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland for £4.

And here I thought there was only the Smiths song with that title - who knew there was a book too?? Excellent. And excellent tune as well ;).

I did finally finish Linda Gillard's House of Silence, and it was excellent. I didn't think it was quite as good as Emotional Geology, though, as I thought the ending was too abrupt. There was a certain relationship I thought should have been explored a bit more.

Edited by Pixie

Hi , Lucybird .

I'm about halfway now . It was his South American trilogy that introduced me to LdB and I thought they were excellent .

Do persevere with Birds Without Wings , if nothing else it's a good history lesson !

It was Captain Correli's for me and I haven't quite found anything that matches up, but I do intend to try with it again at some point

Today in a state of lonely hungoverness I read a book called "Tirsdag Formiddag" by a Danish author, Renee something or other. It's about a woman who struggles with crippling anxiety and how she once a week goes to the swimming pool and listens in on the conversations of five other women in the sauna.

Touching and easy to relate to as we've got a touch of neuroticism in my family. Haven't found out what my thing is (apart from mild hypochondria) but I'm sure something fun will show up eventually for me to tackle.

I've also read the following: The Eeyre Affair (excellent suggestion you guys!), Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (re-read), and Storm of Swords by George RR Martin

And, I met George RR Martin.