Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I just purchased The Complete Works of Henry James for my Kindle.

Sure, I might not like everything he has written, but for $2.99 if I only like one, it was worth it.

I'm loving Kindle and the classics. :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got 100 pages left of Little, Big. It has taken me over 2 weeks which is a long time for me. Have never really gotten in to it and still not sure I understand the point. But I am determined to finish it!!!!

Yay. Finished Little, Big. I feel so relieved. Can now move on to new things.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, ladymacbeth. :( I loved this book and while I will admit it is a slow read, I found the writing style to be gorgeous and so many thought-provoking themes. The ending, especially the last paragraph and it's relationship to the characters, made me weep and haunted me for days.

I hope your next read is enjoyable for you. :)

I just finished Invisible by Paul Auster and while it was okay, I have read better by this author. The ending made absolutely no sense to me. Maybe I am missing something.

I've started The Bohemian Girl by Kenneth Cameron, which looks like a sort of Holmes-and-Watson parody, if the first couple of chapters are anything to go by.

Also, as "dip-in" reading, a rather wonderful book that my daughter bought me for Christmas, The Atlas of Remote Islands: Fifty Islands I Have Not Visited And Never Will by Judith Schalansky:

Judith Schalansky was born in 1980 on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall. The Soviets wouldn't let anyone travel so everything she learnt about the world came from her parents' battered old atlas. An acclaimed novelist and award-winning graphic designer, she has spent years creating this, her own imaginative atlas of the world's loneliest places. These islands are so difficult to reach that until the late 1990s more people had set foot on the moon than on Peter I Island in the Antarctic.

On one page are perfect maps, on the other unfold bizarre stories from the history of the islands themselves. Rare animals and strange people abound: from marooned slaves to lonely scientists, lost explorers to confused lighthouse keepers, mutinous sailors to forgotten castaways; a collection of Robinson Crusoes of all kinds. Recently awarded the prize of Germany's most beautiful book, the Atlas of Remote Islands is an intricately designed masterpiece that will delight maplovers everywhere. Judith Schalansky lures us across all the oceans of the world to fifty remote islands – from St Kilda to Easter Island and from Tristan da Cunha to Disappointment Island – and proves that some of the most memorable journeys can be taken by armchair travellers.

Regarding Little, Big. Sadly I didn't enjoy it although I could see how other people found it charming. I think I like my books a bit more plot driven whereas this was quite slow moving.

I'm now reading A Cavern of Black Ice by JV Jones. It's 800 pages long which I'm thinking may have been a poor choice for my lack of mojo but will see how I go.

I'm currently reading 3 books.

Richard Castle > Heat Wave (can't really get the hang of it, which is quite sad because I love the show)

Bruce Coville > Jennifer Murdley's Toad (cute little book for reading on the train)

J. K. Rowling > Harry Potter and the goblet of fire (started yesterday, to read at home)

I also got two new books from my lovely bf :wub:

Rachel Vincent > My soul to take

Lewis Harris > A taste for red

Edited by lopeanha

Read about 200 pages of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Záfon yesterday, flying through it and I'm sure I'll get through some more today.

Edited by Ben

I've just discovered that there is a new Saramago book out....a memoir of sorts....Small Memories. I want this book. I've sent a request to my local Barnes and Noble for a hold....fingers crossed it's actually there :D

After spending almost 2 weeks reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan I gave up on it last night. I read about 300 pages and just couldn't get into it. It's the first book this year I've not finished.

Now starting B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton

Not posted for a while. I'm coming to the end of Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, this is the third installment of the Dresden Files series and the best so far.

I am also reading Day of the Match a daily football history, and I have restarted The Nations Favourite Poems, so I have plenty going on

yay! I got my Saramago book :D and while I was there I managed to also come out with Go With Me by Castle Freeman jr. and Slumdog Millionaire (originally published as Q & A) by Vikas Swarup......I'm still a bit unsure as to how that happened :unsure:

I bought a few books today and received another in the mail. Details on my reading blog. :)

I also read around 50 pages of Making the Cat Laugh.

I am part way through reading Camilla Lackberg's The Hidden Child which I am enjoying but I am finding it increasingly difficult to find books I want to read maybe my mojo got left in Spain but more like I have yet to find another author I want to follow with an obsession just can't seem to settle on anything at the moment, I go onto Amazon start looking at the books read the synopsis sigh and go back to browsing nothing...NOTHING is taking my fancy at the moment!!!!

Just finished reading 'Game of Thrones' and it was bl**dy brilliant. What an ending. Still awaiting book 2 to arrive in post so am now going to read 'The Monkeys Raincoat' Robert Crais. Not read him before but it looks good.

I've read Monkey's Raincoat and have to say it was good but not great. If you're looking for a great Robert Crais book, I recommend L.A Requiem.

I've got about 100 pages of The Relic read, and it's pretty much what the doctor ordered :D.

I read that several months back and I enjoyed it.

I'm about 3/4 through of The Fellowship of The Ring and I think it is such a fantastic book! Can't wait to read the others too!

If you love that you'll love The Hobbit which is one of my favorite books of all time.