Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just finished Finding Sky by Joss Stirling - I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed this, very much in the vein of Twilight but different enough to keep me interested, I am increasingly surprised how good some of the YA books are getting. With that in mind have now started The Declaration by Gema Malley which arrived yesterday.

Also took delivery of 5 new books from Amazon today, Afterwards, The Novel in the Viola, The Return of Captain John Emmett, The Beach Hut and Uglies.

Have also ordered To Kill A Mockingbird, I really have to see if it is as good as peeps on here say it is, and with it being its 50th anniversary I thought it would be a good time!

Have also ordered To Kill A Mockingbird, I really have to see if it is as good as peeps on here say it is, and with it being its 50th anniversary I thought it would be a good time!

I have that unread as well on my shelf...am almost ashamed to say I haven't read it yet!!

I finished Gerritsen's Vanish last night, the best Rizzoli/Isles novel in the series so far in my opinion. Good stuff! Then started reading The Mephisto Club by the same. I'm soon out of Gerritsens and can focus on other books, yay :)

So glad you enjoyed these! I have the latest on my shelf to read, well I say shelf when actually it's in a box somewhere as the room is being redecorated :)

I'm not quite sure what happened to me a couple of nights ago, but I haven't been able to put my book down! After feeling very 'meh' about reading, this is a welcome change. I've only got about 100 pages left of Discovery of Witches and I'm SO excited this is part I of a trilogy because I honestly cannot get enough :D.

Yes! :yahoo: I'm so pleased I could cry! It is a wonderful book, still my fav this year :D

Edit: Forgot to add my mojo came back :o I whizzed through the second half and finally finished Heartsick. I've moved on to some easy download on my kindle to keep it here in the hope it will hang around for a bit ;)

Edited by Charm

I bought Linda Gillard's bl**dy brilliant 'Emotional Geology' on Kindle today. Only £1.90! :D

Thanks to this tip-off I also bought this yesterday, I couldn't believe it was only £1.90! Such a beautifully written book, and so completely absorbing that I had to tear myself away just to write this. I feel closer to all of the characters than I have done whilst reading for a long time, I'm going to finish reading and buy all of her other books now! Thanks for the heads up on a brilliant read Chrissy :)

So glad you enjoyed these! I have the latest on my shelf to read, well I say shelf when actually it's in a box somewhere as the room is being redecorated :)

Pics, please! ;) It's astonishing how much I didn't like the first two novels by Gerritsen, and then how much I have really enjoyed the last three books! I started reading The Mephisto Club last night, only had time to read the prologue but it was promising. And creepy!

Edit: Forgot to add my mojo came back :o I whizzed through the second half and finally finished Heartsick. I've moved on to some easy download on my kindle to keep it here in the hope it will hang around for a bit ;)

Yay for you mojo returning!! Hold on to it tight, my friend :friends3::readingtwo: How was Heartsick? I hope you liked, am looking forward to reading your review :)

Yes! :yahoo: I'm so pleased I could cry! It is a wonderful book, still my fav this year :D

Aww, I'm pleased you're pleased, Charm! :friends3: I'm even bringing the book in my car with me, just to be able to squeeze a few pages in before or after work, and that's something I never usually do. Have you been to the author's website? Apparently they're planning a movie?! OMG I hope they cast Matthew and Diana well.

Thanks to this tip-off I also bought this yesterday, I couldn't believe it was only £1.90! Such a beautifully written book, and so completely absorbing that I had to tear myself away just to write this. I feel closer to all of the characters than I have done whilst reading for a long time, I'm going to finish reading and buy all of her other books now! Thanks for the heads up on a brilliant read Chrissy :)

'House of Silence' is another Linda Gillard on Kindle (also £1.90). :D

I'm so glad you are enjoying her writing as I think Linda is a brilliant author. Her 'Star Gazing' will be out on Kindle very very soon (possibly is now!), although it is available in paper now, as is 'A Lifetime Burning'.

I'm not quite sure what happened to me a couple of nights ago, but I haven't been able to put my book down! After feeling very 'meh' about reading, this is a welcome change. I've only got about 100 pages left of Discovery of Witches and I'm SO excited this is part I of a trilogy because I honestly cannot get enough :D.

Yay! Charm should definitely get royalties from the author for recommending this to us all :lol:

Have just finished Finding Sky by Joss Stirling - I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed this, very much in the vein of Twilight but different enough to keep me interested, I am increasingly surprised how good some of the YA books are getting. With that in mind have now started The Declaration by Gema Malley which arrived yesterday.

Also took delivery of 5 new books from Amazon today, Afterwards, The Novel in the Viola, The Return of Captain John Emmett, The Beach Hut and Uglies.

I liked Finding Sky a lot too! I must admit that I'm so glad for Twilight, because as much as I loved it, I know it's flawed in terms of the writing, but it's opened up the world of YA to me, and I think that a lot of them are actually better written, and certainly more interesting and compelling as stories, than most general and literary fiction that I read now. I can't wait to hear what you think of The Declaration which I think it one of the best YA books I've read in the last year. I know Weave read it after me, and she's actually read the whole trilogy and recommends them all, so I'll be buying the rest at some point in the not too distant future.

The Novel in the Viola is also excellent - you've got some great reads ahead of you! :smile2:

My book activity today has been a big fat zero so far, as I got called into a meeting today and missed most of my lunch break, but I'm going to make up for it this evening :D

When I mentioned to a friend that I was reading The Ghost Writer (John Harwood) he asked if it's the one the movie was adapted from....I wasn't aware there was a movie...anybody know if there is?

Does your friend mean The Ghost by Robert Harris. Personally it was my worst book that I read last year. The film had Pierce Bronson and I think Ewan McGregor and that was about ghost writer working for the Prime Minister.

To Kill a Mockingbird is in my top five fav books of all time.,.. Enjoy.

I finished He's Just not that into You and have started The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring!

Whoop... LOrd ot he rings. Another Ringer in the making I hope!

As for me still no time to read.. :empathy:

I have just come back from library book club and got given the book. Yann Martel - Beatrice and Virgil. Quite a few groans from the club who had read Life of Pi. I haven't but I am a little worried.

I still have Bone song left half way through. Just can't get passed one page of it.

Yes, I think it was Weaves reviews that made me push The Declaration to the top of my TBR pile, have the next two in my Amazon basket ready to order!!

I really need to free up more time to read all these fabulous books, I've downloaded a couple of audiobooks to listen to while I do housework etc and even read on the stepper today - don't think it would work with small print though!!!

Does your friend mean The Ghost by Robert Harris. Personally it was my worst book that I read last year. The film had Pierce Bronson and I think Ewan McGregor and that was about ghost writer working for the Prime Minister.

yes he did after all :)

Yesterday I received The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill in the mail.

Today I finally finished reading Terry Pratchett's Sourcery and have read about 40 pages of The Graveyard Book. I finally feel like I'm making progress with my books! :D

Yesterday I received The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill in the mail.

Today I finally finished reading Terry Pratchett's Sourcery and have read about 40 pages of The Graveyard Book. I finally feel like I'm making progress with my books! :D

Great book Kylie, very creepy. Have you read the Man in the Picture by Susan Hill, that's also creepy.

Great book Kylie, very creepy. Have you read the Man in the Picture by Susan Hill, that's also creepy.

Thanks Sue. No, I haven't read The Man in the Picture. I think it have/had it on my wishlist but I went for The Mist in the Mirror instead. I'm really glad you've read it and liked it because I've been wondering if Hill's other books would be as good as The Woman in Black, which is the only one I've read to date. :)

I received another book in the mail today - one I've been wanting for ages: Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I also have a parcel to pick up at the post office which I'm fairly certain is my box of Penguin postcards, but I have to wait until Monday to get it. :(

I finished A Discovery of Witches last night! :boogie: Charm, I believe I will you send you something sparkly for recommending such a fab book - you deserve it!! Although now my hands are itching (get it?) to have the second book! Does anyone know when Harkness plans on releasing it?

I haven't decided what to read next, but will scan my shelves when I get home from work this afternoon. I'll also write my review :D.

Read another 100 pages or so of The Importance of Being a Bachelor, there is a small chance I may finish it this weekend.

Mike Gayle is veering more towards chick-lit with every passing book.

Edited by Raven

Getting back into The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo. :boogie:

I've got this on my TBR pile. Any good?

I'm 2 thirds through 'Monkeys Raincoat' by Robert Crais and am finding it very predictable but a good easy read all the same.