Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Suzanne Collin's 'The Hunger Games ~ Catching Fire', the second in the trilogy.

I cannot allow myself to even get the third book from the shelf tonight, otherwise I would have to say goodbye to a night's sleep. This is such a compelling series. I find myself holding my breathe every few minutes as yet another "Oh. My. Goodness." moment hits me; be it a scene of intense poignancy, an act of incredible daring by one of the great characters, or a moment of sudden and unexpected brutality. What a book.

I just read your comment to my son as I bought him the first book on Saturday, I'll have to make sure I get the others as well so that I can read them after him :D

I'm nearly 200 pages into The Forsyte Saga, would probably be further on but I've been so busy with my spring cleaning & I'm starting to get into it now so I'm glad I didn't give up on it when I was struggling with the characters.

I'm a few hundred pages into Passage by Connie Willis and so far this book is excellent, excellent, excellent! Very difficult to put down.

Edited by Pixie

Gave in and just bought the 2nd Harry Potter book from Amazon. Counting down the days until it gets here now. Not sure whether or not to start another book whilst I wait...

Oh I wish I could be reading Harry Potter for the first time

I received a book in the mail yesterday: The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. One for my dystopian list.

I also read about 60 pages of Me Talk Pretty One Day and a couple of chapters of The Library at Night.

I'm almost done Lolita by Vladimir Nabkov, about 30 pages to go. Not sure how I'm feeling about this one. The story and premises is really interesting but his style of writing irritates me sometimes. I find he's too descriptive which distracts me from the story. Eager to finish it and move on to an easier read.

This weekend I picked up MORE books. I think I need to stop shopping, bought way too many this month!

Picked up the following from a second hand shop:

A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris

Lost by Gregory Maguire

Diary and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

Say You're One of Them by Uwen Akpan

White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Slam by Nick Hornby

The Virgin's Lover and The Queens Fool by Philippa Gregory

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Woo! I love cheap books :D

What an awesome haul whitegold!! :cool:

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

I hope you like these, I really enjoyed them. What's the Slam about? I don't think I've ever heard of that? :huh:

I read about 100 pages of Heidi last night, I'm hoping to finish it today :)

I've got just over 100 pages to go in Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. It's been an easy read I'm flying through the pages but there isn't much happening and with only 100 pages to go it looks to be staying that way. I'm already thinking about what to read next so that can't be good.

Still reading The Sleepless Moon by H E Bates and really savouring it. I think that so, far it could be his best book.

Well, I broke my New Year's Resolution of not ordering off Amazon this year (and it's only January! :D ) and I've ordered A Boxful of Ghosts. It's 4 volumes in a Collectors Library and covers all the Ghost stories of MR James; Dickens; Best and Irish stories - it's my birthday pressie to myself and will be a real treat. :readingtwo: I already had an old paperback copy of MR James' stories so it will be nice to have an updated set.

Edited by SueK

I've just finished reading Famous Five and Five Get Into Trouble by Enid Blyton. I'm going to start reading Five Go Off to Camp now. I do love this series of books and Enid Blyton in general because I like how simplistic her writing is. I know some people can be critical of that but I love it! :D

I slipped home at lunchtime so I could have a decent cup of tea and a bit of a read in peace and quiet I might make it a regular thing its nice to get out of the office for a bit

What an awesome haul whitegold!! :cool:

I hope you like these, I really enjoyed them. What's the Slam about? I don't think I've ever heard of that? :huh:

I read about 100 pages of Heidi last night, I'm hoping to finish it today :)

I have yet to read Slam but according to the back its basically a teen pregnancy book from the point of view of the young father. I've heard good things about it so I'm excited to check it out (when I finally get around to it lol)

I have yet to read Slam but according to the back its basically a teen pregnancy book from the point of view of the young father. I've heard good things about it so I'm excited to check it out (when I finally get around to it lol)

I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on it when you get to reading it :) I also need to add that to my own wishlist because I really like Nick Hornby's novel.

I'm now on to book 4 in the Morganville vampire series by Rachel Caine, Feast Of Fools. I'm really enjoying this series and I'm liking how the characters are unfolding throughout the books. They've even brought my mojo back! :D ... I just hope it hangs around for something different after I've read all the ones in the series I have :huh:

I'm now on to book 4 in the Morganville vampire series by Rachel Caine, Feast Of Fools. I'm really enjoying this series and I'm liking how the characters are unfolding throughout the books. They've even brought my mojo back! :D ... I just hope it hangs around for something different after I've read all the ones in the series I have :huh:

Woohoo! Excellent news, Charm, I'm so pleased you like them too.

I've started another book today - Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Read about 70 pages at lunchtime, but think it will probably be a lunch break only book, as I don't have enough decent light in my living room to be able to read a book in the evenings at the moment :irked:

As promised I have just finished my third Lee Child book Tripwire I now need to decide whether to buy the next one tonight or suffer the possibility of having nothing new to read or try and save some money I could read the couple of books I have not yet finished...but I am on a role with these, problem is I read so quickly that I know I could get the whole series and finish it in a couple of weeks (I have no life people :D )

Ok so its about 20 minutes later and I have just bought the next 3 (well you can't take it with you can you :rolleyes: )

Edited by pickle

I slipped home at lunchtime so I could have a decent cup of tea and a bit of a read in peace and quiet I might make it a regular thing its nice to get out of the office for a bit

Wow, I wish I could pop home at lunch time to read! It's been made to difficult for me to read at work. :(