Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

My Boxful of Ghosts arrived today from Amazon. It's a delightful little collectors set of 4 hardback volumes. Complete MR James, Charles Dickens, Best Ghost Stories and Irish Ghost Stories. The only slight disappointment is that the a lot of the stories in "Best Ghost Stories" are repeated in the other 3 volumes too! It might have been good if Amazon had mentioned that. :irked: Other than that thought, I'm delighted with the books.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked in at the post office this morning and found JG Ballard's Kingdom Come waiting for me. I'm hoping there might be another book there today as well. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! (Over here we actually put our thumbs up when we hope for something. I'll try and do all the lot at the same time.) Could you also keep your fingers crossed for me, I have 4 books coming my way and I'm really hoping at least one of them will arrive today? :)

I started and finished 84 Charing Cross Road last night in bed, and started reading Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking.

I didn't get my book which means I have to wait all weekend now! I couldn't even remember what book I was waiting for. giggle.gif I was going to try and wait and be surprised but I couldn't resist looking at my order. It's good that I decided to get rid of some books because I haven't had to rearrange my shelves with these new acquisitions. The new books are just slotting in to the empty spaces. :)

Today I've read several chapters of Huckleberry Finn and a chapter or two of The Library at Night.

I recieved and read the fourth Lee Child Jack Reacher yesterday basically I got in from work made a cuppa read...had dinner read...had bath read went to bed and read until I had finished it, I do think this was the weakest of the 4 boors I have read so far I might even go and explain why on my own reading page :D depends on how busy I am at work today really. I started the 5th this morning as I woke early it seems to be a lot better.

I'm still reading The Stand, though my reading has slowed down since my return to work. :7_mad: I've also been reading a blog-converted-into-a-book, that was free from Amazon called Blood, Sweat and Tea, about the work life of a London paramedic. Not bad, a pretty easy read. :)

I have actively held off from reading for the past few days, as I digest fully The Hunger Games Trilogy. I wanted the continuous thoughts of the characters and story to dissipate a bit before I moved on to my next read. :) My mojo feels robust though, so I have no concerns that I won't 'be able' to read.

I just finished the brilliant Passage by Connie Willis. Loved it, loved it, LOVED it!

Can you tell I liked it? :giggle2:

I will now be reading The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. :readingtwo:

Susan Hill's 'The Small Hand' arrived in the post today, my turn in the book ring! Thanks Lexiepiper. :D

This has decided my next read! I will get into the book this weekend. It is probably a good reading direction to take after The Hunger Games'.

I finished Halo by Alexandra Adornetto and started Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead.

I have also started a book log. And documented by TBR -eek. To my dismay most of these book I have had a crack at before and then abandoned due to lack of interest or loss of mojo. I would like to stress it is not all about book quality. And I have collected these books over many years - some over 14 years ago

Anyway, I think this will give me some impetus to make a dent in the TBR this year - or to discard those books I really haven't enjoyed.

Finished The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber this morning. I've read three of these Canongate series now, with contemporary authors writing modern retellings of legendary myths, and I enjoyed this one just as much as the other two. This one uses the myth of Prometheus stealing fire from Zeus and giving it to mortals.

I started and finished 84 Charing Cross Road last night in bed, and started reading Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking.

I read 84 Charing Cross Road many years ago, and loved it, can't say the same for the Didion book though, just not my cuppa.

I just finished the brilliant Passage by Connie Willis. Loved it, loved it, LOVED it!

Can you tell I liked it? :giggle2:

I will now be reading The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt. :readingtwo:

I haven't read that one yet, but loved her Blackout and All Clear, want to read more.

We went to Borders yesterday and I purchased:

The Rag & Bone Shop by Jeff Rackham

and a kobo, gave into the coupon. :D

I haven't read that one yet, but loved her Blackout and All Clear, want to read more.

I want to read more by her as well. I have added Blackout and All Clear to my wishlist. :D

I finished Falling for You - Jill Mansell, which was brilliant and have started Isobel's Wedding - Sheila O'Flanagan. I'm trying to get through some of the 'Chick Lit' books on my shelf at the moment so I can move onto some different books soon. :D

Susan Hill's 'The Small Hand' arrived in the post today, my turn in the book ring! Thanks Lexiepiper. :D

This has decided my next read! I will get into the book this weekend. It is probably a good reading direction to take after The Hunger Games'.

I started this book earlier today, and already have that tingly anticipation vibe kicking in. :)

I started this book earlier today, and already have that tingly anticipation vibe kicking in. :)

Hope you continue enjoying it hen :)