Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna Karenina is very chunky so I might have to do it in bursts.

I hope you enjoy it, I have to say that it reaches somewhere near the top of my top 10 book I dislike, but it was ages ago that I read it.

It seems to be love it or hate it so I will soon find out.

I finished Don't Tell by Karen Rose yesterday and have to say it was brilliant! I went straight on to I Can See You by the same author but I have a feeling I'm supposed to read them in order so, should I put it aside until I get the rest, or carry on? Anyone read these books? :huh:

I'm working the late shift all this week so will give me plenty of opportunity to get stuck into Wolves Of The Calla. Also, I started Watchmen yesterday and am really enjoying it so far. I'll be trying to give both books equal amounts of attention but I can see that failing somewhere along the lines.

Had to abandon my first book of the year today - Devoted Ladies by Molly Keane. I'd been looking forward to it, but had to give up after 80 pages because as a character driven book, I couldn't stand any of them, and there were far too many similar sounding names and I kept getting confused who was who! Very disappointed :(

Popped into the works, got 3 books for £5. Galilee by Clive Barker, Ship of magic by Robin Hobb and Chelsea Cain omnibus of Heartsick and Sweetheart. I already have an unread copy of Heartsick which I'm planning on giving to my cousin who has recently got into crime novels.

I enjoyed both Heartsick and Sweetheart! Good reads :D hope you enjoy them too!

Finished reading Norwegian Wood by Japanese author Haruki Muratami this afternoon. It was an interesting book, the first I have read by a Japanese author which gave interesting insights into late 60's Japanese student life.

I have decided that the next book I will read will be non fiction - The Long Haul by Alex Hibbert. I found it in Waterstones in Redhill a few months ago and should have got it then and there, but when I went back to get it was told they couldn't get hold of it anymore, so I ordered one from Amazon. It is a narrative based on the authors trek across the Greenland ice cap, and so should be right up my street, a blending of travelogue and philosophy. I will probably start it tonight when I go to bed, which will be in about five minutes ... :Zzzz:

Edited by Talisman

My week has started out busy again, but I did manage a run to the library after work today. I went there to pick up some tax forms, but also came out with 2 books on CD - We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson and Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella :D.

I got about halfway through Sebastian Fitzek's Splinter last night. It's rather good! It's a Kindle edition that I took a punt on for £1 in Amazon's '12 days of Christmas' offer. Glad I did, now :D

Finished 'Clockwork Angel' by Cassandra Clare. Now I await the call from my next book ~ it will be the one I keep picking up and taking around the house with me, until I finally give in and start reading. :) Hello mojo, my old friend. :wink:

I finished The wonderful wizard of Oz by Frank Baum last night. I only wish I'd read it sooner. Today I'm starting on The Tsarina's daughter by Carolly Erickson.

I'd be interested in your views on The Tsarina's Daughter page turner. I have had it on my Amazon wish list but the reviews were so bad I didn't know what to think.

I started The Vesuvius Club yesterday. It is the first in a trilogy of stories about Lucifer Box (Edwardian secret agent and total rake!) by Mark Gatiss. It is laugh out loud funny and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd be interested in your views on The Tsarina's Daughter page turner. I have had it on my Amazon wish list but the reviews were so bad I didn't know what to think.

I started The Vesuvius Club yesterday. It is the first in a trilogy of stories about Lucifer Box (Edwardian secret agent and total rake!) by Mark Gatiss. It is laugh out loud funny and am thoroughly enjoying it.

That is good to hear feedback about The Vesuvius Club, I have had it on my tbr list for a while, you have peaked my interest in it again :)

I am continuing reading Cabal by Clive Barker - tis very good although the book looks to not have been edited throughly enough, with obvious grammar mistakes as well as words with letters missing, but I can look past that :)

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I'm nearly at the halfway mark in The Forsyte Saga, I also paid a visit to the charity shop today & came out with

Penmarric Susan Howatch

The Believers Zoe Heller

Felicia's Journey William Trevor

The Mayor of Casterbridge Thomas Hardy

Tales of The City Armistead Maupin

I loved The Vesuvius Club! Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Sue :smile2:

Me, I read Nicholas In Trouble during my lunch break. Funny and the perfect antidote to a morning in the office :D

Also found out my reading group books for next month are Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've downloaded a sample of Gilead as I'm not sure I'm going to like it, so I can read the beginning to see how I get on, but I've bought Never Let Me Go as I've been wanting to read more by this author anyway, so a good opportunity to give him another go!

Edited by chesilbeach