Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just finished The Man from Beijing - Henning Mankell I know there is a thread on it somewhere on here will add to it as soon as I have thought about it a bit more.

Yessss! I finally got Charlaine Harris's Dead in the Family! :D I must finish Let the Right One today so I can start reading this one.

Me too! I know it's a series tie-in, but I'm liking the cover even if it isn't totally accurate. :D I also love Let the Right One In and hope you're enjoying it Frankie :D

I'm almost finished Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton and have enjoyed it so far.

I've barely read anything in 3 days.

Me either, I've been on the forum enough today though, I thought I'd read all day before I go to work, but instead of that, I've been on here and watching re-runs of grey's anatomy!

I think I've been dreaming of other books, instead of reading the one I have. It's not that my book doesn't please me, I'm really interested in it... I just want to read everything all at once, which has caused me to not read anything for a few days!!

This is sad, goodbye forum, I'm gonna go read. right now!

I'm almost finished A Pale Horse by Charles Todd. This is the first I've read by the mother/son team and am enjoying it, but at the same time, it seems as though it could have used more editing. Just seems to drag on a bit unnecessarily.

AIE: Oh, I forgot I bought at Border's yesterday Major Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe. I've not read Poe before, and thought this would be something to begin with.

Oooh King Lear is one of my favourite of Bill's Janet, it's so so so good!

Excellent news - thanks! :blush:

I'm using the 'Cambridge School Shakespeare' - it gives definitions of some of the lesser-known words on the page facing the text which is only on the odd numbered pages, so I'm picking out those words and writing (sorry, sorry!) in pencil next to the text so that I can then read through without stopping.

I've did this for Macbeth too (the first Shakespeare I'd attempted to read on my own) and it worked really well, as I can easily pick out the random words without actually reading, and therefore spoiling, the text.

Hubby and I are going to see an open air production at Westwood Manor next weekend so I need to finish by then!

I'm on page 150 of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It is an interesting read.

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Me too! I know it's a series tie-in, but I'm liking the cover even if it isn't totally accurate. :) I also love Let the Right One In and hope you're enjoying it Frankie :blush:

I'm almost finished Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton and have enjoyed it so far.

I love the cover, eventhough I don't like the TV series and it's inaccurate. I just love the colors and everything, Eric's nice... Har de haaa :) I also can't believe that I got it for 9,99e, it's a brand new book, hardback and all!

Let the Right One In is alright, I think I should've wait a little bit longer to read it because I'm not sure if I was in the right mood for it when I started to read it. I really like John Ajvide Lindqvist's style though.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Guilty Pleasures, I've been meaning to give that one a go for ages :D

Me too! I know it's a series tie-in, but I'm liking the cover even if it isn't totally accurate. :) I also love Let the Right One In and hope you're enjoying it Frankie :blush:

I'm so pleased you're enjoying Guilty Pleasures, its a great series, I'm reading The Lunatic Cafe at the min :) Another vamp series I think you may like is Raven Hart's Savannah Vampire Chronicles, starting with The Vampire's Seduction. A bit like a cross between Sookie books and Lestat books :)

I'm not feeling well this morning so I think I'll just do fun reading instead of working on my dissertation. I have started listening to What Katy Did at School by Susan Coolidge and I'm hoping to finish The Bell Jar today

My mojo is snoozing right now, so if I whisper this to you, else my mojo might hear and take fright (or more likely a darned bus)........

I am enjoying my re read of 'The Hobbit', I think it is having a postive effect upon my a'wandering mojo. :blush:

Glad you're enjoying Guilty Pleasures, Nicola! I have that one on my shelf and I think I might pick it up after my current read.

Speaking of The World to Come, I only managed about 4 pages last night before I drifted off. I was busy installing my shiny new internet when I got home, and since I was up at 5am yesterday I was wiped. Hopefully I'll get more in tonight! :blush:

Lol Chrissy! Glad you are managing to get through a book!

I have been to the library twice this week and taken out:

Harrison: Old School Ties

Harrison: Michaelmas Tribute

Weir: Innocent Traitor

Sands: Love Bite

Chevalier: Remarkable Creatures

Nevo: World Cup Wishes

I have been working on my blog too, please go take a look!

But more importantly: I have just finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and have now moved on to True Believer by Nicholas Sparks

I'm aiming to finish Great Expectations before progressing with The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm onto the third volume and very much enjoying the story; last night I even had a dream about Pip!

I have 6 or 7 Dickens novels and have never really quite enjoyed any of them. I can't put my finger on why, though! You seem to read a lot of 19th C lit, do you not think there was just so much better from that period?

I have 6 or 7 Dickens novels and have never really quite enjoyed any of them. I can't put my finger on why, though! You seem to read a lot of 19th C lit, do you not think there was just so much better from that period?

You could try listening to them - I find I prefer classics if they are in audiobook form

You could try listening to them - I find I prefer classics if they are in audiobook form

Good idea! I usually love classics, though. There only seems to be a few exceptions that I struggle with and Dicken's always seems to be one of them. But I do love the TV adaptations, and his books always seem to have that feeling of grandfather storyteller, so maybe having someone else read them to me would help! :blush: