Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I'm on part 4, chapter 2 of Miss Smilla. I seem to be reading this book really slowly. I guess it's just one of those books that won't be rushed.

I found the same thing. It took me about two weeks to read which is pretty slow for me. The funny thing is, I can't even work out exactly why it took me so long. It's not as though the style of writing is difficult to read. I guess I just had trouble engaging with the characters and all the intricate details.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Lady & The Unicorn, still think it was only slightly above mediocre with main points going for the fact that it's very easy-to-read historical fiction and about tapestries I already liked prior to reading it. (I love historical novels that are about actual people, events and things.) I don't see how it's as lovely as some people have said - it's not at all happy and it's all either about weaving tapestries or 'ploughing' women. But to each their own.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy The Lady and the Unicorn as much as some of us did, Noll. For me, I loved it because of the way the story was told, plus learning the art of tapestry making was extremely interesting to me. I loved the way Chevalier wrote the story from several different perspectives, almost weaving the lines together from each character into a tapestry herself. Without each of these characters taking part in the story, there would be no final, beautiful result in a sense. Chevalier was so exact and detailed about each person and their role in the larger sense of things, that I just couldn't get enough. I'm happy to read this one over and over, even if it's slightly above mediocre and easy-to-read. This book is why I love Chevalier so much.

I got to about a third of the way through Eclipse last night and then picked The World to Come back up again so I don't forget where I am in the story! I can already tell I'll be searching out other works by Dara Horn when I get the chance :D.

Is it good Kate?

As for me I have decided to start reading Dark Lover by J.R.Ward

I have just finished Bree Tanner, and it got better as it went on. I've posted my thoughts in the Twilight thread but I did enjoy it :D

I read about 50 pages of my re-read of We Have Always Lived In The Castle whilst walking miles across the city and back, that's an achievement crossing several ring roads and gang territory with shifty people ambling around not really glancing up :D

As for me I have decided to start reading Dark Lover by J.R.Ward

Can't wait to hear what you think of this one! (I hope you're not put off by sexual content :))

I haven't read one page in a couple of days now, but it has nothing to do with the book (which I'm really enjoying) and more to do with the fact that I got a new phone and can't put it down :D I really do intend to correct this soon! :D

Edited by Charm

Started You'll Win Nothing With Kids, by Independent football writer Jim White. To quote:

...the hilarious chronicle of Jim White's time as manager of his son's football team. At this level, winning spirit is not so much about passion, pride and belief as praying that your star centre forward has remembered to bring his boots. Most importantly, it's about the enduring relationship between fathers, sons and football.

I was in need of a nice, easy read, and it's kind of topical, too.

I plan to read this too - what are you thinking of it?

I find it very odd in a way. It's very readable and quite short, and it's alright so far (I've read maybe one third of the novel), but the characters go through quite unbelievable stuff and they just kind of find themselves here and there doing this and that and the plot is racing forward with no direction :D I guess that's the way novels were written back in the day. A bit strange but still an okay read, do try it! :)

I'm re-reading I capture the castle, funny how differently you can view a novel after a 10 year reading gap.

Are you enjoying it? I read it for the first time a few years ago, but I'm afraid it didn't do it for me at all!

Happy to pass my copy on, Janet. PM me if you're interested.

That's really kind of you. I'm swamped by books to read at the moment so I won't take you up on your kind offer, but thanks for thinking of me. :D

I'm currently reading Candide by Voltaire.

I read that earlier this year. There is a thread on it somewhere for when you've finished. I shall look forward to reading your thoughts. :)

I read that earlier this year. There is a thread on it somewhere for when you've finished. I shall look forward to reading your thoughts. :lol:

Finished the novel. I don't think I had much to add to what you'd already said in the thread, concerning the bizarreness of the novel :)

Has anyone else read Friday Nights ~ Joanna Trollope....I am really struggling with it, and almost on the verge of giving up.:)

I finished reading Hot Six by Janet Evanovich last night. Another enjoyable read.

I've made a pile of books that I want to read this month so I used good ol' eeny-meeny-miny-mo to choose my next read: Joy in the Morning by PG Wodehouse, a Jeeves and Wooster novel. I'm about 30 pages in and enjoying it very much already. :)

I've never read Candide but I saw the stage production many moons ago and loved it :lol:.

I read a little bit of Eclipse when I got home tonight and am on page 309 already! I must admit I'm only skimming some of the Quileute parts, but hey I've read it before so can you blame me?! :)

I've read another chapter of We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Depending on when my body wants to actually grab a couple of hours sleep, I plan on reading a couple more.