• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought from amazon ~

The Gift by Cecelia Ahern

The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds

Roots by Alex Haley

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

:smile2:

My haul from the library today consisted of Hanning Makell- The Man from Beijing, Christopher Brookmyre - A snowballs in Hell and China Mieville - The Scar. I also picked up in audio book Brookmyre's All fun and games. I have read both the Brookmyre's but nothing else appealed.

Haven't updated for a few days, but I've read the fourth Vampire Academy book, Blood Promise and the new Sookie Stackhouse book, Dead In The Family.

Had a day out yesterday which included a visit to a bookshop and came home with:

Dead In The Family by Charlaine Harris

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Devil In Disguise by Julian Clary

Brooklyn by Colm T

Finished Jim White's You'll Win Nothing With Kids, and I enjoyed it far more than I'd expected. There were a few stereotypes in there - the eye-bulging, fist-pumping team manager, the over-pushy parent - but there were also some worthwhile reflections on father/son relationships, on growing up and on the purpose of sport. And it was well written, too, as you'd expect from someone who makes a living from sports journalism.

Not the most taxing read, but I'd recommend it from anyone wanting to get away from the ... er ... football :smile2:

I just made an Amazon order and Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys managed to sneak its way into my basket ;):smile2:

Meanwhile, I'm still reading the Count of Monte Cristo and dipping in and out of Great Expectations when the mood takes me (or when I can't fit The Count in my bag!)

Meanwhile, I'm still reading the Count of Monte Cristo and dipping in and out of Great Expectations when the mood takes me (or when I can't fit The Count in my bag!)

How are you finding the Count, Mexicola? Well, I hope?? :smile2:

I'm not sure if I already posted this, but I finished my re-read of Eclipse and picked the Short Second Life of Bree Tanner up again. I'll finish it today (it's small) and will get back to The World to Come. Hopefully I haven't forgotten much of what's happened so far!

My mojo had been missing for a couple of months :smile2: but thank goodness it's making a comeback ;) and I've started Entombed - Linda Fairstein which I'm enjoying so far.

Just finished 1984 and im gobsmacked by how accurate the predictions of George Orwell were, particularly with his observations on the nature of society, war, government and control. I will need to read the book again to fully appreciate it but right now im dying to discuss it, is there a 1984 thread here anywhere, i searched but couldnt find. :smile2:

I just made an Amazon order and Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys managed to sneak its way into my basket ;):smile2:

Good book, hope you enjoy it!

I've finished Things Fall Apart, which I rather enjoyed. I think I'm going to start either Catch-22 or The Count of Monte Cristo next. I should probably finish one of the other books I have on the go first though! :lol:

I have around 200 pages left of Shantaram, which is a huge book with over 900 pages. I have been getting through it at the rate of about 100 pages a week so should finish it by the time I go to Iceland I hope. It has and continues to be a fascinating read and is a book I would highly recommend if you like that sort of thing.

I am going shopping on Wednesday for a few more books - there are two I have already decided to get - The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill and My Soul to Take by Icelandic author Yrsa Sigurdadottir, which I will probably take to Iceland with me - I will only have room for one plus my guide book. I am not sure what the third one will be as both of these are on three for two, but I am sure I will find something !

Edited by Talisman