Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I have hardly read anything for the last few days, I am having problems with a wisdom tooth and am all swollen from my cheekbone half way down my neck, so I can't concentrate much :blush:

I'm 200 pages into Possession, but will save it until I can enjoy it properly. I have started The Best of Times by Penny Vincenzi for an easier read - but why did I choose such a huge book??? My judgement is definitely off! :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson yesterday. Extraordinary novel, highly recommended. Snuck in Bonsai, a novella by Alejandro Zambro, real quick read, and started Jerusalem by Goncalo Tavares. Today I'm too worn out to move. And I'm behind 5 books now for my reading blog - got to get crackin on that. Today in the post arrived A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh and Ghosts by Cesar Aira.

I only read a couple of chapters last night. I don't know if Industrial Magic isn't as good as the others in the series or whether Miss Smilla killed my mojo.:blush:

It's probably Smilla. It had that effect on me too. :) Either way, I hope the book picks up for you.

I'm aiming to finish Great Expectations before progressing with The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm onto the third volume and very much enjoying the story; last night I even had a dream about Pip!

I'm glad you're enjoying Great Expectations. I loved it too. :)

I'm about 50 pages in to Dead as a Doornail and I've read a little more Wodehouse as well.

Started and finished The God of the Hive by Laurie R. King today, to me it was superior to it's prequel The Language of Bees, which I'd read earlier this year.

Not sure what next.

Started and finished The God of the Hive by Laurie R. King today, to me it was superior to it's prequel The Language of Bees, which I'd read earlier this year.

Not sure what next.

Thats the latest isn't it, not sure its out here yet, I do like this series though.

I started re-reading The Mephisto Club - Tess Gerritsen today as I have finished all my current books

I have 6 or 7 Dickens novels and have never really quite enjoyed any of them. I can't put my finger on why, though! You seem to read a lot of 19th C lit, do you not think there was just so much better from that period?

This is my first proper read of a Dickens novel and although at times I've found it a bit hard going (I've been reading it since April on and off!) I've ultimately found it an enjoyable and rewarding read. Sure, there are other 19th century classics which I prefer, however, I think I'll have to try out a couple more Dickens works before I can begin to agree with you! :) Is Great Expectations one of the ones you've read?

I'm glad you're enjoying Great Expectations. I loved it too. :)

Thanks! :) I'm about to read some more now :blush:

My mojo has come back but not enough. I have to finish The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg by 6 o clock for my first library book club meet. I don't want to look a Wally and not have anything to talk about.

As for the book. Well it is reading well. Nothing like I expected. I was thinking far too much into thinking it was be abother Steig Larsson kind of book because of the Scandinavian connection, burt I would say it is more like a val McDermid/ Jack Kerley kind of crime book. Enjoyable so far. But I really do need to finish it today. Wish me luck!

I have hardly read anything for the last few days, I am having problems with a wisdom tooth and am all swollen from my cheekbone half way down my neck, so I can't concentrate much :)

Ouch, that sounds painful! Are you going to the dentist? I hope you get it sorted out soon :blush:

I'm 200 pages into Possession, but will save it until I can enjoy it properly. I have started The Best of Times by Penny Vincenzi for an easier read - but why did I choose such a huge book??? My judgement is definitely off! :)

How are you liking Possession? I tried reading it in English and I felt like my brain was on overload. I do like the sound of the book though, I'm determined to read it at some point.

Is Great Expectations one of the ones you've read?

Yah, probably my favourite as far as Dickens goes. I do love the characters, especially Miss Havisham, but only really appreciated them once I finished reading the book. :blush: I guess it's not his stories I don't like, just the slightly convoluted way he writes, and I've read a lot of wordy classics, so I'm supposed to be used to that!

Also (3rd strip): http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=0

Also also (cause these comics are awesome):http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=55

Working my way through The World to Come and finding it really fascinating. It's shifting between the early 1900's and present day, the common thread being Marc Chagall :blush:.

Ouch, that sounds painful! Are you going to the dentist? I hope you get it sorted out soon :blush:

How are you liking Possession? I tried reading it in English and I felt like my brain was on overload. I do like the sound of the book though, I'm determined to read it at some point.

I have a week's worth of antibiotics from the dentist, so hopefully will start feeling better tomorrow :)

I am enjoying Possession - even before taking a break from it, I was reading it quite slowly,though; I definitely couldn't read it quickly and make sense of it. It's my Folio Society edition, which makes it a really tactile experience too.

So I went to my library book club and it was really interesting. I failed to finish The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg. But got over half way and is pretty good so far.

This months book read for the club is Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka. not my sort of thing but we shall see.

I also picked up in the YA secton a book called The Medici Seal, does not seem like a YA book but looks interesting.

The book club has seemed to get my mojo back so we shall see how much reading I get done!

Started and finished The Mephisto Club - Tess Gerritssen I have read it before hence speedy read. still enjoyed it though as it had been a while since i read it i had forgotten the end right up until it happened.

So I went to my library book club and it was really interesting. I failed to finish The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg. But got over half way and is pretty good so far.

This months book read for the club is Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka. not my sort of thing but we shall see.

I also picked up in the YA secton a book called The Medici Seal, does not seem like a YA book but looks interesting.

The book club has seemed to get my mojo back so we shall see how much reading I get done!

I had my library book club tonight too! Nearly everyone liked The Outcast and it provoked a good discussion. We've been given Fear of Flying by Erica Jong for next month (and one other which we actually read last year so I won't be reading again).

Meanwhile, I've been back in the supernatural, and reading the next Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter book, Burnt Offerings.

I read more of The World to Come tonight after work when I got home. I was afraid to turn on my computer since it was thundering and lightning (nasty power surges) so I'm just about halfway finished now. Still love it! :blush:

Thats the latest isn't it, not sure its out here yet, I do like this series though.

Yes, the last two are meant to be read together. I absolutely loved the first, I guess 3 or 4 or the Holmes/Russell series, but I haven't read a couple of them, in-between. I'll go back and pick them up sooner or later I'm sure.

My biggest gripe with them was that Holmes wasn't in them enough. :D

We visited the Library Sale today, and frankly didn't find that much.

One was Moon Deluxe by Frederick Barthelme, a book of short stories.

I finally caved and bought A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, I've deliberately passed that one up for years now, but at 1.25 USD, I couldn't pass it up.

Edited by pontalba