Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I finished Emotional Geology and I am thinking of writing a review, as I see so many do here. I have never really tried to write one before, but I think I am ready for a new challenge. Anyway, as I couldn't put the book down, I think it quite obvious my review will be positive. ;)

I will be reading Moby Dick next.

Oh, and I received Invisible by Paul Auster in the mail today. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Emotional Geology and I am thinking of writing a review, as I see so many do here. I have never really tried to write one before, but I think I am ready for a new challenge. Anyway, as I couldn't put the book down, I think it quite obvious my review will be positive. ;)

I will be reading Moby Dick next.

Oh, and I received Invisible by Paul Auster in the mail today. :D

I adored Emotional Geology, such a beautiful book.

Today I have read another 100 pages of Homeport and I got email confirmation that my copy of The Passage has been dispatched.

I finished Emotional Geology and I am thinking of writing a review, as I see so many do here. I have never really tried to write one before, but I think I am ready for a new challenge. Anyway, as I couldn't put the book down, I think it quite obvious my review will be positive. :D

I shall look forward to reading your review, Pixie, if you get around to writing one. Perhaps you might be able to explain why the book is unputdownable. You aren't the first reader to say this and it always mystifies me because EG is a book in which very little happens! I've never been able to fathom what it is exactly that keeps people turning the pages.

I've started Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, though I'm only about 60 pages in.

Still reading The Tree Of Seasons in the background, but let's face it, the only reason it got published is because Steo was famous and then died. It's not great.

I finished Heidi by Johanna Spyri earlier (the religious elements didn't bother me as much as they apparently bothered the person who wrote the introduction). It was a delightful book.

Now I'm reading Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith.

I've started Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, though I'm only about 60 pages in.

So pleased you're enjoying this! One of my favourite reads of last year :D

I've finished The Lunatic Cafe and have now started Bloody Bones ;)

I finished Heidi by Johanna Spyri earlier (the religious elements didn't bother me as much as they apparently bothered the person who wrote the introduction). It was a delightful book.

I am glad you enjoyed it and weren't put off by the intro I hate it when they do that, I can simply remember the story as being a lovely book about a girl and the family she creates around herself through her simplicity and love.

I read The Lonely Dead last night I found it on my book shelves and hadn't read it in a while not bad for a re-read. I really need to get some new books though the weekend is going to be a scorcher and I want something to sit in the garden with. :D

I shall look forward to reading your review, Pixie, if you get around to writing one. Perhaps you might be able to explain why the book is unputdownable. You aren't the first reader to say this and it always mystifies me because EG is a book in which very little happens! I've never been able to fathom what it is exactly that keeps people turning the pages.

I will do my best to put it into words. I need some time to formulate my thoughts (I always think a lot about a book after I finish it), and my review should be posted tomorrow.

I'm still reading The Wolf by Guilliatt and Hohnen, the blurb on the front of the book says "How one German raider terrorized the Allies in the most epic voyabe of WWI". From the synopsis on the inner flap it seemed to be more a personal story of the prisoners/victims of the Germans. However it goes into great detail about the politics of England/Australia et als and why the public was not informed of the happenings. Too much politics IMO. Oh well.

So, I'm about half way through that, but have picked up Smila's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg, and The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin.

This morning I picked up Storms by Maria Fernandez Snitzer. It's the story, basically, of the lives of a family in the way of a particularly nasty hurricane, headed for the Louisiana coast.

Not much on the book front today as nothing new to read and haven't really had time yet today. i have one of my reservations to pick up from the library I might do that on the way home from work tommorow, tonight I might just have a look through what I have on the shelves to re-read. I did listen to Gaudy Night - Dorothy L Sayers on the radio though.

How was reading it? I have it on my shelf, but I saw the movie and cried so bad!! :D I cant seem to read books I have seen the movies to all ready.

I was wondering the same as i have it on my TBR pile & i don't want to see the movie till i've read it.

I enjoyed Marley & Me more than I thought I was going to. Very sweet and funny!

As for the movie, if I plan on reading the book then I never see the movie first. Never! The book is usually always better then the movie and I like picturing the characters myself. I hate reading a book and picturing some movie star as the character.

I really enjoyed The Lost Book of Salem. Guernica wasn't such a good read for me.

Forever brings back lots of memories for me. I was a huge Judy Blume fan as a kid and just used to buy any of her books when they appeared in the shops, without really looking to see what they were about. I think I was about 10 or 11 at the time, so Forever was a bit of a surprise!

nicx27, I can totally relate. I read Forever when I was around 11 or 12 and I was in shock! Have you read any of the books she wrote for adults? I really enjoyed Summer Sisters and Smart Women.

So far this week I've only read 130 pages of Revolutionary Road. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it this weekend because I'd really like to start Gone with the Wind next week.

So, I'm about half way through that, but have picked up Smila's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg

I can't wait to see what you think of this Pontalba. It's our group read for June in case you weren't aware.

So far this week I've only read 130 pages of Revolutionary Road.

How are you enjoying this? I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's on my wishlist.

I'll be finishing The Ants Are My Friends by Martin Toseland today and I've read a good chunk of The Tears of the Giraffe as well.

I can't wait to see what you think of this Pontalba. It's our group read for June in case you weren't aware.

:D That's what encouraged me to pick it up, I've had it in the stack for several years, never quite getting around to it. I've read the posts in the thread, and it piqued my curiosity.

I'll concentrate in it.

Also we visited the second hand book shop today, and found several books....

Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay

An Opened Grave by L. Frank James

Bluesman by Andre Dubus III

The Singapore Grip by J.G. Farrell

and at the library, for sale...

The Dark Tide and The Blue Zone by Andrew Gross

Good Morning, Midnight by Reginald Hill

Edited by pontalba