Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I managed to get through 3 of my books I got at the weekend, both sitting in the sun and recovering inside from too much sun. they were

Tess Gerritssen - The Bone Garden ( a re-read but thouroughly enjoyable)

Lisa Gardner - The Perfect Husband a bit of a romantic thriller quite good though.

Tess Gerritsen- In Their Footsteps absolutely awful, obviously written before she went onto do the great crime novel's this was a romantic thriller but the romance was badly written the characters were two dimesional, it was set in Europe the British characters were stereotypical (upper class, silk dresses boarding schools etc...note to American authors thats not the norm!!!), really don't bother with it.

Jim Butcher- First Lord Fury current read, the final part I think, I have enjoyed the Sci Fantasy series.

still to read

Henning Maknell - Depths

Kylie Fitzpatrick - The Ninth Stone

John Harwood - The seance

and an audio book Jasper FForde - The Fourth Bear might listen whilst at work.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Forbidden Planet with OH on Saturday to choose me some belate birthday presents but, as the half an hour we stayed in there was not nearly sufficient for me to make my mind up, I was back bright and early this morning when they opened with a voucher in my hand :D after a good hour's browsing, I emerged carrying:

Stephen Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Charles de Lint, The Blue Girl

Ursula K. LeGuin, Lavinia

... now. Choices, choices, choices!

Stephen Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Charles de Lint, The Blue Girl

Ursula K. LeGuin, Lavinia

Hmmm, I think you should go with Lavinia. I love Ursula LeGuin, but that is one I haven't read.

I have finished The Memory Garden by Rachel Hore, and loved it! It was a slow read but gorgeous. I read Forever by Judy Blume over the weekend too. I'm now reading The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble

I bought a new copy of 'Little Big Man' by Thomas Berger, the copy I have (a treasured gift from a great friend) is quite old and I am scare it will fall apart, I found a new copy on the waterstones site!, so for the time being, I am going to read 'Banquet of the Damned' by Adam Nevill :D

A Lifetime Burning by Linda Gillard arrived in the mail today from the UK. And it was in very good condition as described. *sigh of relief* :D

A Lifetime Burning by Linda Gillard arrived in the mail today from the UK. And it was in very good condition as described. *sigh of relief* :D

Good times! I hope you enjoy it Pixie, its a brilliant read, very thought provoking :)

Good times! I hope you enjoy it Pixie, its a brilliant read, very thought provoking :D

I am looking forward to reading it, I loved Emotional Geology that much. I have so much to read, though, so I may put it off for awhile.

I am looking forward to reading it, I loved Emotional Geology that much. I have so much to read, though, so I may put it off for awhile.

I'm the same Pixie, we'll get there :D (it doesn't help that I keep buying books :))

I'm the same Pixie, we'll get there :) (it doesn't help that I keep buying books :))

Me, neither.

I just purchased one today, I have two in the mail yet to be delivered, and in a few weeks Ray Bradbury has a book of short stories being released in paperback that I have pre-ordered. :D

It's all amazon.com's fault. They have everything I am looking for. Evil tempters. :D

Me, neither.

I just purchased one today, I have two in the mail yet to be delivered, and in a few weeks Ray Bradbury has a book of short stories being released in paperback that I have pre-ordered. :D

It's all amazon.com's fault. They have everything I am looking for. Evil tempters. :)

Yeah, blame it on amazon! I blame amazon too :)

Just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it was fantastic i would rate it 9 out of 10, a real absorbing page-turner that steps up a few gears near the end of the mystery, thoroughly enjoyed it and will start the next book in the trilogy later this week. Salander and Blomkvist are not easy characters to forget!

on another note ive bought a book that i already had :D oops!

:) I've done that with a few books that I've bought in charity shops - Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson and The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith - and about three weeks ago I nearly bought Black Swan Green by David Mitchell but resisted the urge, and then I was looking for a summery bag that I hadn't used since last year and found a copy of it in the bottom that I'd obviously bought and forgotten about! :)

I finished Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L A Meyer - a young adult book and a cracking yarn, yesterday, and this morning I finished I'm Not Scared by Niccol

Hmmm, I think you should go with Lavinia. I love Ursula LeGuin, but that is one I haven't read.
I think I might be naughty and start with The Phoenix Guards :D Lavinia looks like it will make me cry, while The Phoebix Guards makes me chuckle with its very chapter headings - such as, Chapter the Eleventh: In Which the Plot, Behaving in Much the Manner Of a Soup to which Corn Starch Has been Added, Begins, at Last, to Thicken :) I think I'm in the mood for some chuckles. High fantasy told in the style of Alexandre Dumas & Rafael Sabatini, praised by Neil Gaiman and Tad Williams... what could be better?

I finished Bloody Bones by Laurell K Hamilton today and ordered the next 4 in the series straight away! :D I also ordered the latest available in the Larissa Ione demonica series (can't remember the name :)).

In the meantime, I'm back on to The End of Mr Y. I hope it picks up enough so that I don't want to abandon it as soon as the new books arrive!

I bought four books today:

*Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell

*Just Like Heaven by Marc Levy

*The Self-Preservation Society by Kate Harrison

*The School for Husbands by Wendy Holden

All for only 80p from my local charity shop :D

Excellent haul, Stephanie! :D

I read a bit more of Blood Ties when I got home from work today and am up to page 120. Hopefully I'll get some more in tonight before falling asleep!

I just watched the 2002 movie version of The Importance Of Being Earnest, and subsequently re-read the play. Such a wonderful play, it's so funny.

'He is dead?

'Quite dead.'

'What a lesson for him! I trust he will profit by it.'

- and -

'What did he die of?'

'Oh, he was quite exploded.'

:D

Over the weekend I read Tau Zero by Poul Anderson. It felt like reading a physics textbook :)

Then, last night, I read the first 100 pages or so of Iain M. Banks's Against A Dark Background. It was getting late and I couldn't put it down. You know that feeling you get when you start reading a book and you think to yourself "By 'eck, this is going to be good". After such a stonkingly good beginning it had better not let me down :D

I finished Terry Pratchett's Mort, which I loved. :D

Next up is Rama Revealed by Arthur C Clarke. I've managed to drag this series out for years, so I'll finally get to finish it! I just hope I can remember where the last book left off.